Routines and Mediums

Routines and Mediums

A Story by Lexi

“You’ve changed,” he whispers as he slides the coffee cup across the worn cedar counter. I haven’t been feeling all that much the past few days, up until this very moment. You’ve changed. I lift my eyes to meet his grey irises. The same eyes that I’ve met every morning for the past 367 days. Routine. I part my lips (saying nothing), cradle the hot cup in my cracking hands, and sit at one of the many bar stools. The same chipped stool, every day, for the past 367 days. The barista with the grey eyes was just making a silly assumption; I haven’t changed, not one bit. I try a sip of coffee. Searing. I almost spit. Have I changed? I’m no longer happy (at least not as happy as I was 367 days ago), yet I’m not sad. Fluctuating. But my routine hasn’t changed, therefore neither have I. I take another stab at the coffee. Hot. I can deal with hot. Am I just dealing with my life? I was rambunctious 367 days ago, yet now I’m just dealing. Coping. Another sip. The joe is lukewarm. I am lukewarm, nothing but a constant medium. I suppose I have changed. I slowly stand, dispose of my cup, and walk out the scratched glass door of the coffee house for the 366th time. Routine.

© 2012 Lexi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
Added on March 27, 2012
Last Updated on March 27, 2012
Tags: routine, medium, coffee, coffee house, change

Author

Lexi
Lexi

NY



About
I like writing, sometimes. more..

Writing
Never Perfect Never Perfect

A Poem by Lexi


Distance Distance

A Story by Lexi


March 8th March 8th

A Poem by Lexi