my fate… but on your hand

my fate… but on your hand

A Story by Peter Joseph Swanson
"

an excerpt

"

 

(this excerpt from my published novel is censored for the internet)

 

At the west bank, she popped into the Global Village to see what was cool. The Tear Garden played loudly on the stereo and the place smelled heavily of gooey cherry/strawberry incense. She loved the smell and felt instantly transformed to some exotic Moroccan bazaar, though she wasn’t even sure where Morocco was on the map. She inspected a box of neat sandals from India and then trolled her fingers through a cardboard box of ankle bracelets.


“Can I help you?” a very young woman behind the counter finally asked.


“Nope. Just shoplifting today.” Sandra made an exaggerated gesture of shoving sandals down the front of her top. “I just hope I get a left and a right!”


The clerk smirked. “Like, if your b***s start growing we’ll have to feel you up.”


Sandra held a pair of white dingo boots up to her own chest. “Hmm.”


“You know, you’re supposed to leave your bag at the counter. Didn’t you see the sign at the door?”


“I won’t ever let my bag out of my sight. It’s full of drugs.”


Serious? Really?”


“Psych.” Sandra handed over her purse. “And stay out of it unless you’re on the rag.”


“Ha ha.” She popped out the cassette tape and changed it to The Cocteau Twins.


Bunny Umber walked into the store. “Fire in the hole!”


“Hi Bunny,” the clerk greeted.


“Bunny Umber.”


“Sure.”


Bunny, by itself, sounds so cute. Like something a kid pets. I’m punk. I puke on preppies.” Bunny Umber laughed grandly.


“Like, sure.”


Bunny Umber regarded Sandra and then looked around to notice nobody else was in the store. “There’s no men in here right now.” She breathed in deep.

“Ah, sisterhood. I just made two frat boy pigs trip over each other on their way to jock class. I just looked at them with my righteousness, spoke to them with divine female authority, and they went flying into each other’s arms. Now they’re gay. I love it when I make things happen.” She laughed again.


Sandra said, “Oh. I just loooove that wild vagina painted on the front of your skirt. I feel that way, today… it having sharp teeth. It’s your real name? Bunny Umber?”


“Yep.”


“Oh, what a cool name. And your jacket is so cool!”


Bunny Umber turned around to model. “Thanks.” On the back of it was a crumbling acrylic painting of a flying monkey waving a burning stars and stripes. “Anybody have a cigarette?”


“Nope.”


Sandra shook her head no, also. Then, as if by providence, the back of one of Bunny Umber’s earrings cracked, fell off her ear and landed at Sandra’s foot. Sandra picked it up, regarding the cool metal bones, as if it had belonged to the ear of a prehistoric magical cannibal queen. She handed it over. Bunny Umber spotted Sandra’s palm and jolted.


“What,” Sandra asked.


Bunny Umber gasped, “Your palm. I saw your palm. The map of your fate!”


“So.”


“I’m psychic! It spoke to me.”


“What’s it say?”


“You are to…  to… hmmm.”


To what?”


“Oh. It was a map of my fate… but on your hand. Hmm. That’s odd. In fact, that’s really f###ed up.”


“How?” Sandra looked at her own palm. “It looks like mine to me.”

Bunny Umber stated, “You are to… be there when I become really famous.”

 

 

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d903/d901/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

 

Look at the crazy cheap price ($2.59 paperback, cheaper for kindle):


Read the blurb and reviews!


http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Minneapolis-Peter-Joseph-Swanson/dp/1600761682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303315423&sr=1-1

 

© 2011 Peter Joseph Swanson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved this read, really felt like I was right there. Captured the spirit really well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AJ
I love this brief glimpse at your storytelling. This is an incredibly interesting snippet that you've presented us with. You've managed to introduce your savvy punk characters and offer a hook to continue. I really enjoyed the running dialogue, most writers offer too much information outside of the dialogue - explaining the story to the reader - and you've managed to let the readers infer a great deal about the characters without spelling it out for us.

Posted 12 Years Ago


your imaginative prowess is extremely fabulous!!!!~

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have a lot of very inventing and interesting descriptions. Frat boy pigs, exotic bazaar.

So Bunny can see the future and Sandra can control reality, right? or are they just tripping off some s**t?

Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I had my palm read once and the Chiromancer said "Oh F***K"

Bunny - Bunny Umber what a punk , love her

Posted 12 Years Ago


The story is very entertaining. You have some strong and spirited characters in the story. I come back tonight and read some more. Thank you for sharing.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


What a great character ypu have in Bunny Umber ; )

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011
Tags: punk, ghosts

Author

Peter Joseph Swanson
Peter Joseph Swanson

Minneapolis, MN



About
I'm a fabulous published novelist! Woot! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


Windy Night Windy Night

A Poem by