The Post It Note

The Post It Note

A Story by Pete
"

A short dark tale of a day in the office.

"
The Post-It Note

Lenny Alvera ran across the car park through the downpour, his head lowered, the scruff of his jacket an umbrella. He nimbly side stepped the deeper puddles in the undulating tarmac, ducked under the office balcony, and began to fish out his keys.  His rain flecked left  hand caught on the silk lining of his side pocket, rucking it up, making the simple task a more complex one. He swore under his breath.
        Selecting the right key, he opened the door, and headed for the stairs.  By the fourth step he began to ponder.  He would often ponder whilst ascending to his workplace.  Sometimes it was why would some manufacturers make Ibuprofen pills pink, like little flamboyant MnM's, complete with a sweet sugary coating? Here kids, try some! Or maybe what his boss would look like with his skin removed.
        Today though, he wondered how many steps he had taken up there in his work lifetime.  OK, 44 steps a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year...  'F**k that, must be millions' he thought.  He took another step.
        Shrugging off the hypothetical maths,  he strode through the office and plonked himself down in his cubicle.  He glanced around his mini universe, spotted something a little unusual. There were some words written on the top sheet of his stack of Post It Notes.
Im going to kill you
        His heart thumped a little faster, it beat a little harder, and his skin prickled.  A sensation of hot and cold swept it's way through his body.
        He stood up quickly- the chair following his behind for a few inches, with a hiss - and did a slow three sixty of the room.  Eerily empty and quiet.  Just the faint hum of the machines and the metronome of the wall clock - eleven minutes to eight. Ordinarily he  liked the quiet solitude of being the first one in - being 'assistant to the  regional manager', he would arrive early, open up, and get the office tea urn going - but after reading those five simple words, the room became a creepy graveyard, complete with 21 inch monitor tomb stones.
        He reached over to pick up the stack of notes for a better look and hesitated a moment before touching them, as if the pages themselves would do him harm. He coughed out a laugh, then carefully flipped through them. Nothing but blank pages below the first. He studied the handwriting, cocking his head and raising a single brow.  It looked familiar, but he just couldn't place it.
        It had to be a joke, surely. Someone was just trying to freak him out. They knew about his condition, his psychological issues.  But a little dark corner of his mind kept nagging him, 'What if it IS a threat Lenny, and  not a joke'.
        He began to feel calmer once the office crew started to appear, though there was still a slight tremble to his hands.  As they trickled in, one or two at a time, he debated whether  to say anything or not.  He made his decision.  When everyone was present he wiped his damp hands on his knees, ripped off the note, and, rising from his chair, held it up like exhibit 'A' in a court room. He cleared his throat. 'Ok, who wrote this'?  He got nothing but blank stares and confused looks in reply.
        'It says I'm going to kill you' He continued. The words actually spoken aloud seeming  to add weight to the inky red threat already on the paper.
        As he scanned the room for any hint of a confession he heard a few faint chuckles and mutterings from his co workers, but no one replied. He stood there waiting, one arm still stretched out to his side like a well dressed scarecrow whose right arm had  snapped in the wind and flopped down to it's side.
        'Look, this isn't funny, I just want someone to own up so we can...ah, forget it'.  He  slumped back down in his chair, crumpled the thing and tossed it in the waste paper  basket. The blood vessels and capillaries in his cheeks had dilated, blushing them red with  awkward self consciousness. His simmering anger assisting them a darker tone.
        Lenny slid open his desk drawer and pulled out his medication - his 'mental pills'.  They didn't do anything for his anger problems - he had therapy sessions for that - but they were supposed to help with his personality disorder and his other issues.  He popped a few with a  sip of yesterdays coffee. 
        For the rest of the day he immersed himself in his work, the 3D renderings and  complex animations of his new project providing enough of a distraction for him to forget about the stupid note.  For a while at least.  Because every now and again he couldn't help but glance down at the basket. The little yellow crumpled note sat there, riding the waves of previously discarded paper. It taunted him.
        'Yep' it would say. 'I'm still here.  But don't worry, don't take me seriously. Someone's just messing with your mind.........probably'.  

        By the end of the day his pen lid was chewed like an old dog toy and his nails had lost  ten percent of their mass. He looked up at the clock. The hour hand was on the five, or as near as damn it, whilst the other millimetred it's way  towards the 12. He switched off his computer, stood up and stretched his aching back.
        On leaving the building his mood swiftly lightened. The weather had improved and the late summer sun shone down on him, the velocious rays zipping across 93 million miles of  vacuum to warm his face. The birds were tweeting too, obviously.
        As he made his way to the bus stop, a jaunty spring now in his stride, he started whistling a random set of notes...and abruptly stopped. 'If it was a prank' he thought, 'surely someone would have owned up by now'.            He subconsciously raised his right hand to his mouth, nibbled the tip of his middle fingernail with his incisors.  'What if it's real and there's some f*****g psycho killer out there who likes to play games'?
'Maybe I should call the cops, just in case'
        The sliver of nail came free and he spat it away, along with a thought -   'Yeah, I can just see them sending over a team to dust for prints and analyse the hand writing'.  Deep in thought he spotted his bus at the stop just over the road. He rushed across, hoping to catch it in time.
The speeding lorry ploughed in to Lenny's right side, the momentum taking his body  with it a short distance.  A crumpled and bloody hostage. Lenny was dead before gravity won the battle between itself and friction, and  his battered body disappeared beneath the wheels.
        Although too late to save poor Lenny's life, the driver instinctively stomped  on the brake yanking the steering wheel hard.  The lorry swerved, skidded and rolled on to it's side  continuing it's destructive journey  amid a raucous screeching of metal and flying sparks before slowly coming  to a halt.  The impact had caused  the rear doors to burst open allowing dozens of boxes to spew out on to the road.
        The driver behind, with no chance of stopping in time, piled in to the boxes, sending thousands of small squares of yellow paper dancing away on the wind like confetti.  Each and every Post-it Note had three words written on it - 'Told you so'.

                                          The End

© 2016 Pete


Author's Note

Pete
I only started writing a week ago and this is only the third thing I've written so please bear that in mind if you review it, but still be brutally honest. Tell me the bad along with the good (if any) It'll help me to improve. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting. I like how you managed to make it lighter by adding a bit of humor in some places. The ending was a bit off, but maybe because of the change of perspective. The death of MC, while predicted​, happened too fast for me. I mean, it was like it ended as soon as it began that I almost didn't feel is. Unexpected ending, and that was the most unique thing on this story.

It's a good read, all in all. Keep writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked the twist. I actually wanted to keep the death very sudden.. read more



Reviews

Interesting. I like how you managed to make it lighter by adding a bit of humor in some places. The ending was a bit off, but maybe because of the change of perspective. The death of MC, while predicted​, happened too fast for me. I mean, it was like it ended as soon as it began that I almost didn't feel is. Unexpected ending, and that was the most unique thing on this story.

It's a good read, all in all. Keep writing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

6 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked the twist. I actually wanted to keep the death very sudden.. read more
Ominous. I wasn't sure about this story when I started reading, but after I got a couple paragraphs in, my interest held. There were occasional grammatic errors, and some of the sentences could use some tweaks. But enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Clifford. Glad I managed to keep your attention enough for you to want to keep.. read more
Well written. I thoroughly enjoyed the cuts to dialogue and I agree the humor mingled into the dark story line was very creative. I hope to read more from you.

Kindly, Rl Russ.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really great work and well written. The pace is good with great detail. You also have aw good mix of darkness and humour just right for the comic twist at the end. One thing I noticed - is velocious a word?
Cheers,
Alan


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Haha, yes it is. It means very fast. Derived from 'velocity' I guess. Thanks for the review Alan :-)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
4 Reviews
Added on August 13, 2016
Last Updated on August 28, 2016

Author

Pete
Pete

Writing
Flight fright. Flight fright.

A Story by Pete


The Turning The Turning

A Poem by Pete


The subway The subway

A Story by Pete