THE PARADOX OF IDEAS

THE PARADOX OF IDEAS

A Story by pia
"

this article I wrote is about how ideas,concepts, beliefs can help us progress but at the same time can cause damages in society. That depends on how one uses ideas and implements them. hope you enjoy

"

 

      Ideas help us grow. Ones involving religious, political or social content aid us in achieving a sense of ‘moral value’ and ‘individuality’. One requires the two to foster a sense of uniqueness and establish significance in society. Ideas are needed for progressing and for corroborating modernism. Tolerance and evolution of human behavior is something one can achieve by putting ideas into action. 


     Martin Luther King Jr presented the world with his ideas that changed history, but then, so did Adolf Hitler. How does one differentiate between the concepts of an idea being precarious or ideas that could help enlighten society? While one inculcates uniqueness and progressiveness the other fosters a lack of individuality. Ideas help us instill a strong sense of specialty but it can also, on the contrary, snatch away that very specialty and uniqueness. How does that occur? Well, ideas are meant to be explored and reformed. Blindly following ideas and teachings can lead to a decay of human personality. One forgets or is unable to relate to others who believe in their own notions


     April 15th 2017, the very concept of an idea resulted in the loss of an innocent life in Mardan, Pakistan. Mashal Khan was brutally killed because he didn’t conform to an idea that society deemed acceptable. The innocent young man symbolizes an idea portraying individualism while the mob that murdered him cold bloodily represents a group of homogeneous, like-minded flesh. Mashal Khan chose to get influenced by ideas to reform them into beliefs and concepts congruent to his own. The mob on the other hand chose to falsely and blindly follow an idea instead of stopping and thinking for a moment what their actions would cause. The lack of individualism is what brought together the mob, all believing in a singular idea. This very ignorance and inability to utilize ideas for progressing and intellectual proliferation is the root of all terror and instability in Pakistan.


     The human brain is meant for evolving. Ideas can help us achieve this. Ideas should bring in the aspect of exploration, questions and critical analysis. This is what helps a society grow. Having diversity in thinking and accepting that diversity. Understanding the concept of individual thinking and idea is what we lack in our country. A few days ago, I was criticized over my attire by a teacher who didn’t stop to think that the person she was deriding had a totally different idea of dressing. It is dangerous to have this mindset. The idea of self righteousness needs to be erased.

    

     Ideas should be used for human growth. Ideas themselves should also evolve and reform to be in congruence with current times and people’s current mindsets. Sticking to ideas unaltered throughout time and age is what harms society. It preaches intolerance. This is where one realizes when an idea could be healthy or damaging. When an idea preaches intolerance and stops you from uniqueness and diversities in other peoples thought system, that’s when it gets dangerous. When an idea promotes homogeneity and shuns individualism, that’s when is gets dangerous. Where an idea can help us prosper it can also cause deleterious effects. And this is the portrayal of a ‘Paradox of ideas’.

© 2017 pia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I stopped by to read this after reading your review of my own similar poem: "Agree to Disagree" . . . I really like the way you are trying to show the difference between using ideas to uplift & expand, as contrasted to using ideas to tear down. Your message felt a little "cerebral" (big complex words about abstract ideas) at the start, but it got much more urgent & powerful when you brought in some specific examples. I think it would be good to use a more detailed opening, to grab the reader's attention.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

You are probably one of thew group of people who give me constructive advice to improve myself
.. read more
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

No need to change an existing piece of writing, based on a review. To me, the point of reviewing is .. read more



Reviews

Old wise man said once. Dumb down a nation and they can be controlled. Today USA. Half the people on welfare and lack proper education. This is why Trump won. Sheep can be led to the slaughter. Martin Luther King Jr. said. Education, education and more education. Educated people cannot be fooled. believe the best writer are the India writers. They love education. In the USA. Accepting less. I agree. Paradox to all things. Good and bad to very decision. But a nuclear weapon. This is a fool's folly. Thank you Pia for sharing your worthwhile thoughts and words. I did like them.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I agree. Education is the door to self-care without needing government support. If we spend 10% of w.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

Only 5% of the budget in pakistan goes to education. Which is sad
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Here in USA. 25% of taxes for military. A sad world we live in.
With ideas come motives. Motives can drive an idea into an even BETTER idea...or it can drive itself into a brick wall hurting others in the process. You are correct in theory...that the human brain can evolve into something more. But if we keep drinking the Kool-Aid....or maybe it's the fluoride in the water?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your review !!
Interesting, the way you convey your R&D and go about the write...I'm wondering if you should of majored in Journalism instead...you have a knack for that in the details of your presentation and reads like a news prompt...when a reader goes about the lines...

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Come to think of it
I really should have.....but ive taken the field of economics and financ.. read more
Glen Yumang Manese

6 Years Ago

You're welcome...good to read you...will come by for the others...as time avails...have a great day... read more
pia

6 Years Ago

You do
I shall do the same for u too !!
The human brain is meant for evolving. Ideas can help us achieve this. Ideas should bring in the aspect of exploration, questions and critical analysis. This is what helps a society grow. Having diversity in thinking and accepting that diversity."

I seriously liked this line, you're writing with all your emotions and you express so well, nice work Pia!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you for understanding !!!
Very correctly described. There are two sides to a coin and similarly ideas may be constructive or destructive. It is the preacher and the receivers who decide which it will cling to.
Up gradation in the pattern of the thoughts rolling through time requires a very high magnitude of impact and open minded approach. But people from the history, stick to the roots ignoring the stem and branches which should not be the case.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I stopped by to read this after reading your review of my own similar poem: "Agree to Disagree" . . . I really like the way you are trying to show the difference between using ideas to uplift & expand, as contrasted to using ideas to tear down. Your message felt a little "cerebral" (big complex words about abstract ideas) at the start, but it got much more urgent & powerful when you brought in some specific examples. I think it would be good to use a more detailed opening, to grab the reader's attention.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

You are probably one of thew group of people who give me constructive advice to improve myself
.. read more
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

No need to change an existing piece of writing, based on a review. To me, the point of reviewing is .. read more
Pia Farooq,
Ideas; this is part of the human soul. We can't help it. As long as we breath our minds are activated. Your anilyzation was really interesting.
Any culture, any civilization from the beginning has been full of people..all kinds. This is the struggle. I think we actually just struggle to live and be.
I also think that Ideas are one with choice. Thought i'd visit you and read what you have given. Good job. I like to see people think about things and question. Very cool...........
Bless you, Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

Thankss kathy !!
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

You are so welcome!
This is the kind of content I could talk about for days on end. Such a fascinating thing the human is. Our thought process. How our mood can change on a whim. This has so much depth to it and the topic is incredibly interesting. It's a piece to read more than once. Well done

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

It really is intricate
Took me days to write
I also made sure it was open ended so re.. read more
duff

6 Years Ago

I really enjoy writing that can left open to the reader or has double meaning. It's definitely a we.. read more
An excellent write, this really made me speechless..it is worth reading

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

Thank u so much !!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1696 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2017
Last Updated on September 10, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Paper fish Paper fish

A Poem by Relic


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


Sedge Sedge

A Poem by Olivier Dubois