Broken Mirror

Broken Mirror

A Story by pia
"

giving a voice to the oppressed

"

   Shards of glass, from a broken mirror, laid scattered around her. The cuts in her knuckles left her with pinches of discomfort, but mostly, regret. She sat on the cold, damp floor with her head between her knees, over shadowed by the darkness of inner demons. All their words kept replaying in her mind; each feeling like a stab to the heart and nourishment to the growing self-hate. She remembered the day; the boys mocked her feminine clothes and the tiny ragged doll she clenched tightly in her little fists. When she finally made it to college in her late teens, she was derided for wearing a crimson shaded lipstick on the very first day; and so, like a delicate rose crushed by the weight of a strangers step, she sat in an isolated corner with no friends and an abandoned dignity. She remembered it all. The memories replayed themselves over and over.  


   Life in the real world became worse. Her educational achievements were never appreciated. The most she could land with was a job as a tailor's assistant, at a shop resting in the untouched part of Karachi. Customers sneered and ridiculed the owner for hiring such a blasphemy, business was lost to a pool of ignorance; so she ended up on the streets of the city that gave her nothing but misery. Her education was never approved, nor was she. She didn't know who she was anymore. In her youth, she saw herself earning a decent living with the degree she held; a degree that sat on a shelf, filled with the dust of forgotten dreams. It was of no use to ‘someone like her'. To society, this person was a joke. She found others like her, living in the darkness of this, ‘City of Lights'. The job she found was associated with illegal means and the taste of a night life. Work was needed to meet ends, and if the world saw her as nothing but a social pariah, she decided to live with that label; a label that gave her nothing but abuse, pain, and degradation. 


   The cuts and bruises on her body came together like a distorted map with each road leading to a memory of the worse kind of customer she experienced. The constant shame rang like bells in her head. With the incessant ringing in her head, she got up from the floor and collected the larger pieces of the glass. She approached the broken mirror and tried fitting in whatever piece she could find with some glue.  It took her a while to repair the broken mirror, but it still had pieces missing and irreparable cracks. All she saw was her twisted reflection.


    Suddenly her eyes caught a glimpse of a photograph dangling helplessly in between the mirror's glass and its hazel colored border. She held the wrinkled photograph, delicately between her fingers. It was a dated photograph of a little boy shielding himself from the summer sun with the help of books. A school bag seemed to weigh his tiny body down, but he still managed to crack a toothy crooked smile in this photograph. The girl recognized this little boy smiles and the brightness in his eyes. She looked into the broken mirror and noticed the brightness had faded away. The sun's rays peeked through the holes of curtain's cloth as dawn approached. The light rays gently touched her back and continued to illuminate her body as she removed her wig and rubbed the mascara smudges from her cheeks. As she continued to stare into the broken mirror, she finally managed to crack the same toothy crooked smile.   

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
the treatment of transgenders in Pakistan is horrifying. Many are pushed towards begging on the street or prostitution. Various NGO's and welfare groups however, work towards giving them a better and respectable life.
( for some weird reason the font keeps changing itself every time I try to edit it
please try ignoring it)
hope you enjoy :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Wow, Pia! A very deep story!

I suspect this is a fictional piece with a realistic slant?
Whatever your angle this is an extremely well written and emotional piece of writing.

You have deftly described the emotional turmoil that your character has gone through in life; the rejection, isolation, degradation and loss of self worth inflicted on her by the remnants of a strict society. One cannot help but feel sorrow for this character you have created and that in the end you can give her reason to smile, despite all her woes, is the mark of a quality writer.

I enjoyed this story very much. For the fiction it is and the realism that it is grounded in. You are quite the social justice warrior, Pia. Words are your pathway to change. Very well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much for such a nice analysis !!



Reviews

Ahh, your writing is powerful! The way you form your sentences, the story behind it, all the symbolism...All of it is so detailed and intricate. Thank you for sharing such educative pieces...making us aware of the world and the affairs doing rounds.
Another well written piece!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much zoe !!
Zoya

6 Years Ago

My pleasure!
Oh Pia this is heartbreaking!! I read about someone in Egypt who got disowned from their family and then moved to the US so he could be who he wanted to without being killed. This world is so un fair and cold at times. You'd think people would be more accepting. Wonderful write my girl! xx

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

LOVE you gurlll
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Wow, Pia! A very deep story!

I suspect this is a fictional piece with a realistic slant?
Whatever your angle this is an extremely well written and emotional piece of writing.

You have deftly described the emotional turmoil that your character has gone through in life; the rejection, isolation, degradation and loss of self worth inflicted on her by the remnants of a strict society. One cannot help but feel sorrow for this character you have created and that in the end you can give her reason to smile, despite all her woes, is the mark of a quality writer.

I enjoyed this story very much. For the fiction it is and the realism that it is grounded in. You are quite the social justice warrior, Pia. Words are your pathway to change. Very well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much for such a nice analysis !!

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1869 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 9, 2017
Last Updated on September 13, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..