The Unchained Mind

The Unchained Mind

A Story by pia
"

just some basic existential crisis stuff

"
    In space where infinite vastness and timelessness neighbour each other, I catch my mind drifting into the void. Dark and desolate by definition, the void radiates what I believe is nothingness. To most, 'nothingness' is the end; it is where nothing exists or where nothing happens, to my unchained mind, its where I can submerge myself into myriad possibilities, flirt with the idea of uncertainty. It's where I realize that the world doesn't revolve around me. I am alone and liberated to discover the spiritual realm seeded within me. 

   I watch the atheist and the theist, cling to ideas like a mother with her newborn, ever so dearly. My mind floats between their established position. They have created a spectrum on which I can slide, enjoying the mysteries of the universe and finding ways to unlock its secrets while I unlock my own. The more my mind ventures forth, the more I discover myself. I choose to let my mind wander into this vastness, excited for the spiritual or corporeal encounters that would come my way. The paradox of not knowing what uncertainties are to come is what animates my mind. 

   The freedom of thought is what elates me. The freedom to move up and down the spectrum, regardless of being labelled a coward for not establishing firm opinions. How can you expect such actions from such a person? A person who lives for experiences; who rests in the arms of uncertainties and satisfied with not knowing the truth. It opens up a field for me to dive into, and search for answers. Answers that I believe don't even have questions. I live to experience the possibility of finding a God with empathy or discovering one with no anthropomorphic attributes, none of which bother me. 

   My unchained mind or as I'd like to call it 'The Nomadic Mind', finds peace in openness. Settling for a certain cause defies the workings of my mind as it chains it down from exploration and self-discovery. At the very age of eleven, I found myself unlocking those metaphorical chains when I looked up into the starry sky and innocently asked my Grandfather, 'What's up there?',  to which he replied, 'I Don't Know'.
 
   That very phrase has stuck with me, through all the ages I've passed. I found thrill in those three simple words. They coerced me towards exploring, reading and understanding. I continued to grow fond of various beliefs and opinions about the wonders of the universe. I learned so much and with that growing knowledge, I was able to draw the curtains in my heart and open my mind to every uncertainty, possibility, and experience; whether spiritual or irreverent. The closer I approach something enigmatic, the more I discovered myself. How I feel or react, and How I achieve to reach those moments and manage to escape them, all those factors amalgamated to form a clear yet incomprehensible image I have of myself.  I let my 'unchained mind' drift further away to find its limits for it only tries to discover paths or patterns leading it far into the vast space of  'Nothingness'.

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
This is just an overview of my personal beliefs, not influencing anyone else. I wrote whats on my mind most of the time and read this book written by Lesley Hazelton 'Agnostic' and it really helped me understand my beliefs better and myself. hope you enjoy this random piece I just wrote.
This reminds me of a quote by Aristotle 'knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom....'

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice to get thoughts out of your mind like this and written down - it creates clarity :D

I wonder though, just now I wonder, about this vastness of emptiness.... I feel you can explore this more .... (so can I in fact, you have me thinking right now) I'm not so sure we reach the point of a totally unfettered mind just to float in blackness. Think about it from a different angle perhaps ... really an unchained mind is a mind free from all attachments and free from attachments means free from suffering, and that's what humans do, they like to believe that a life of suffering in small forms and in big is the only way forward. Not so. Waking, and viewing the world with a mind unfettered, gives you new eyes to see the world, one that see it as it is, one that the viewer just naturally accepts that moment to moment, everything is perfect in its own form.

One tip, I would refrain from saying phrases like 'they hang on to their beliefs like a rattle' wherever we are in our own self becoming, is where we are, no need for outward criticism, just observe and accept.

This is a life long journey you are on - I wish you well in your exploring - there are no wrong answers X

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

You are absolutely correct
Thank you so much for your outlook on the write as well !!



Reviews

Wow, you do have strong beliefs. Well written.
-GS

Posted 5 Years Ago


pia

5 Years Ago

Thank you!!
I know I've already read and reviewed this one five months ago, but it happens often that I'm reminded of this write, the third and fourth paras to be specific. The human mind is ever-changing and there's no shame in reversing your decisions or reforming your own ideas. That happens so frequently with me; and that's when you and your write pops up in my mind. You seem to be a great philosopher. Thank you very much for sharing this!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Zoe your review has reminded me of the reason why i love to write; how it helps others.
Ive b.. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

Most welcome!
I did enjoy your words and your thoughts.
"I let my 'unchained mind' drift further away to find its limits for it only tries to discover paths or patterns leading it far into the vast space of 'Nothingness'."
The above lines. Needed and perfect. Thank you Pia for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

You are welcome Pia.
This was very well-written and so fluid. I love how easily it seems that you are able to put your thoughts to words. Excellent job and I'll be reading more!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much !!
it was good reading this story..it completely brought me to some other world. you know sometimes you get through some stuff and feels like its so similar to a part of my thoughts. Although i am a kind of reader relates easily but yeah it's good.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Aww thanks
This is brilliant & thought-provoking & also very familiar to my own way of thinking. I've always felt that firmly-held beliefs & opinions are like little prisons that hold us back from experiencing the fullness of life, with all it's contradictions & also the way people are multi-layered, not to be squeezed into some uniform box. Your way of expressing all this (that I've thought about many times) is very expansive & uninhibited, while also following an understandable course. I admire you for discovering all this at your young age. I wish I'd figured it out sooner myself. I always want to be open to the possibilities & reading on this website is very helpful to open up my mind. I love this piece very much (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Margie
Nomadic mind, wandering phrasing... Sliding of consciousness... Who is right and who is wrong... Does it matter... What matters? What is matter... I leave my favorite quote that I think pertains to this in a way... Maybe not... Who knows... Fantastic write, and third eye opening...

*So many zealots, men and women, who choose a side, an ideology by which to interpret the world. But, to get up every single day and do the hard work of deciding what to believe. What's right, today? When to stand up or stand down. That's courage.*

Posted 6 Years Ago


Chase Dylan

6 Years Ago

Not as fascinating as your work, Pia... Wait a minute... You mean ULTIMATE MAN-CHILD... No one does .. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

Fine gosh :/ you shall now be ULTIMATE MAN CHILD
Chase Dylan

6 Years Ago

Muahahahaha *sputters and coughs*
This was an intriguing read, and was made even better because it sheds more light on who you are as person, giving us a better perspective when reading your future works.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you Fanacia
You have such a beautiful gift in writing, well done.

I really have enjoyed reading this, your thoughts that you put in your words were really interesting to read, we all have beliefs, that we need to embrace.

Thank you for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Joey Nizz

6 Years Ago

Your welcome
So, I didn't have much time to read this text and I read it as fast as I was able to. All I can Say is that you have a very beautiful mind and that the text is very well written.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you!!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1622 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Mirror Broken Mirror

A Story by pia