The Unchained Mind

The Unchained Mind

A Story by pia
"

just some basic existential crisis stuff

"
    In space where infinite vastness and timelessness neighbour each other, I catch my mind drifting into the void. Dark and desolate by definition, the void radiates what I believe is nothingness. To most, 'nothingness' is the end; it is where nothing exists or where nothing happens, to my unchained mind, its where I can submerge myself into myriad possibilities, flirt with the idea of uncertainty. It's where I realize that the world doesn't revolve around me. I am alone and liberated to discover the spiritual realm seeded within me. 

   I watch the atheist and the theist, cling to ideas like a mother with her newborn, ever so dearly. My mind floats between their established position. They have created a spectrum on which I can slide, enjoying the mysteries of the universe and finding ways to unlock its secrets while I unlock my own. The more my mind ventures forth, the more I discover myself. I choose to let my mind wander into this vastness, excited for the spiritual or corporeal encounters that would come my way. The paradox of not knowing what uncertainties are to come is what animates my mind. 

   The freedom of thought is what elates me. The freedom to move up and down the spectrum, regardless of being labelled a coward for not establishing firm opinions. How can you expect such actions from such a person? A person who lives for experiences; who rests in the arms of uncertainties and satisfied with not knowing the truth. It opens up a field for me to dive into, and search for answers. Answers that I believe don't even have questions. I live to experience the possibility of finding a God with empathy or discovering one with no anthropomorphic attributes, none of which bother me. 

   My unchained mind or as I'd like to call it 'The Nomadic Mind', finds peace in openness. Settling for a certain cause defies the workings of my mind as it chains it down from exploration and self-discovery. At the very age of eleven, I found myself unlocking those metaphorical chains when I looked up into the starry sky and innocently asked my Grandfather, 'What's up there?',  to which he replied, 'I Don't Know'.
 
   That very phrase has stuck with me, through all the ages I've passed. I found thrill in those three simple words. They coerced me towards exploring, reading and understanding. I continued to grow fond of various beliefs and opinions about the wonders of the universe. I learned so much and with that growing knowledge, I was able to draw the curtains in my heart and open my mind to every uncertainty, possibility, and experience; whether spiritual or irreverent. The closer I approach something enigmatic, the more I discovered myself. How I feel or react, and How I achieve to reach those moments and manage to escape them, all those factors amalgamated to form a clear yet incomprehensible image I have of myself.  I let my 'unchained mind' drift further away to find its limits for it only tries to discover paths or patterns leading it far into the vast space of  'Nothingness'.

© 2017 pia


Author's Note

pia
This is just an overview of my personal beliefs, not influencing anyone else. I wrote whats on my mind most of the time and read this book written by Lesley Hazelton 'Agnostic' and it really helped me understand my beliefs better and myself. hope you enjoy this random piece I just wrote.
This reminds me of a quote by Aristotle 'knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom....'

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Nice to get thoughts out of your mind like this and written down - it creates clarity :D

I wonder though, just now I wonder, about this vastness of emptiness.... I feel you can explore this more .... (so can I in fact, you have me thinking right now) I'm not so sure we reach the point of a totally unfettered mind just to float in blackness. Think about it from a different angle perhaps ... really an unchained mind is a mind free from all attachments and free from attachments means free from suffering, and that's what humans do, they like to believe that a life of suffering in small forms and in big is the only way forward. Not so. Waking, and viewing the world with a mind unfettered, gives you new eyes to see the world, one that see it as it is, one that the viewer just naturally accepts that moment to moment, everything is perfect in its own form.

One tip, I would refrain from saying phrases like 'they hang on to their beliefs like a rattle' wherever we are in our own self becoming, is where we are, no need for outward criticism, just observe and accept.

This is a life long journey you are on - I wish you well in your exploring - there are no wrong answers X

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

You are absolutely correct
Thank you so much for your outlook on the write as well !!



Reviews

what a very interesting glimpse into the searchings of an open honest heart ..i really want to read more of your adventures ...especially when years have graced us and gone by ;))
E.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much !!
Alll my writings are a glimpse of lessons ive learned
Einstein Noodle

6 Years Ago

:) ..................
At the end of the day what really matters that what we have learnt from our own experiences, where do we exactly find peace... the state where we start perceiving things on our own rather than like just following the protocols is very crucial...This random piece was equally brilliant as your others stories are...so nicely written pia :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

Im so glad you liked this
What an offering or quest explained! Yet, you've neither condemned nor confirmed other peoples' beliefs or emotions, nor actually affirmed anything but your own urge for 'nothingness' - with or without a capital letter.. Searching self is surely part of searching throughout life for Newness, of not finding but discovering then moving on wearing another layer of how and what Life is, even to how how the inanimate is part of a sliding scale of essentials. Just as how you feel, react, at any moment - a sneeze or kiss - is the ultimate of that moment. Perhaps.

' The freedom to move up and down the spectrum, regardless of being labelled a coward for not establishing firm opinions. How can you expect such actions from such a person? A person who lives for experiences; who rests in the arms of uncertainties and satisfied with not knowing the truth. It opens up a field for me to dive into, and search for answers. Answers that I believe don't even have questions. I live to experience the possibility of finding a God with empathy or discovering one with no anthropomorphic attributes, none of which bother me. ' Again, perhaps.

Understandable.. cohesive.. miles to travel - yet. Some would say: why seek a God, a god, a faith in.. The search to find anything worthy of making Life more precious,.kindness more wide-spread is the ultimate means to finding true value. Is the doing unto others in every form as you would have done unto self. Surely to smile is joy... to stroke is touch... to create is satisfaction... to just be is the Ultimate. Perhaps. Your post is a test paper that everyone, anyone should read, whether to answer or turn away from, it gives insight.. just as sliding down a steep mountainside gives hint of how it is to meet the air head on! Brilliant!.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pia

6 Years Ago

This was a such a thoughtful review and great food for thought for me as well !!
Im so glad y.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Anything that challenges thought, wther my own or different, is worth respect.. and what you say, ho.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

Very true
Thank you so much !!
pia,
The gift and the only courage a writer hold is nothing other than the " unchained mind". There is nothing unbearable which is more frightening than DEATH, for a writer is bondage and restrictions.
Knowing oneself is the beginning of all questions MAN(woman) ever raised against all even against his beautiful creation GOD.

good attempt indeed..

carry on...........
mp

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you for such a wonderful review !!
Deeper than mariana trench I'd say. I do think a lot, about random stuff...but writing all my thoughts down in a real structured format like yours...no way! I could relate to most of the parts. Especially, how some words that have been spoken in the past by us or someone else neve do tend to leave us. Get stuck in our mind like leeches. I totally loved the theory you've presented here. And all that 'nothingness' bit is very well written too. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

This is just one aspect of it!!! Its scary how the mind goes way more deeper
Thank u do muc.. read more
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No worries
I love the honest philosophy of your thoughts here. The scientific explanations of the universe have concepts that are almost impossible to comprehend. The theological versions require absolute faith.

And yet whether you chose one view or both I agree that everyone's interpretation will be a personal thing.

The shared "truth" at least is the beauty of nature and the universe which we can see whatever our personal philosophy.

(Oh... great and interesting piece of writing!)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

That was very interesting philosophy on your part
Thankyou so much for your input !!
Bravo! You have voiced your thoughts and beliefs in a clear and concise manner that all who read it understand. That is not an easy thing to do as people second guess them self and muddle their thoughts and mean into a maze of intent, I compliment you on your wording and the powerful imagery they inspire. Masterfully do and may be the best work of yours I have read. Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap! and an extra Clap! I liked it that well :~)

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

im so glad you enjoyed this so much!!! your review made my day !!!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Very interesting philosophy, Pia.

There is certainly nothing wrong with having an unchained mind. Sliding along the spectrum of thoughts and opinions is perhaps the best place to exist; for at both ends you get radical thinking, areas of thought where those that exist on that plain truly believe that what they believe in is the right way of thinking. When in fact, when it comes to topics like existentialism, life and death and what lies beyond, no one has the slightest clue with any degree of certainty. So to slide along the spectrum allows one to canvas all of the thoughts and opinions and helps one come to terms with their own way of thinking, beliefs and morals to live life by. A place of well rounded thoughts. And there is no cowardice in sitting on the fence when no one has the secrets to the universe. It is the place where the truly wise hold court and make their discoveries. Keep on sliding.

A very deeply thoughtful write. Something we all can relate to in content and well written and constructed on the page. Excellent work.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much for such an insightful review !!!
What a well written piece. I enjoyed your use of words and her well you express yourself and your beliefs. It's good to know yourself and understand your beliefs, I admire the fact that you have been able to do that

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you so much !!!
Avia

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome. I like reading what you write.
pia

6 Years Ago

Thank you again!!! Super flattered ^-^
I really like this piece. It has this universal appeal to it. I believe that's the kind of thought people should keep n protect throughout their lives. The most uncertain are the most curious and those who loose this trait one should offer Fateha for them.
Brilliant for you.

Posted 6 Years Ago


pia

6 Years Ago

thank you for such an insightful review !!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1626 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2017
Last Updated on September 27, 2017

Author

pia
pia

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



Writing
chapter 1 chapter 1

A Chapter by pia


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by pia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Mirror Broken Mirror

A Story by pia