I Came Out To My Mother

I Came Out To My Mother

A Poem by N.Sevilla
"

Happened Sunday night

"
I came out to my mother last night.
Sh said no
To college,
To prom,
To dating,
To regular friends.
She encouraged 
Jehova Witness friends,
Therapy,
Meds,
Help,
Change,
Closeness.
She assured
Acceptance,
Silence,
God's help.
I came out to my mother last night.
That is why,
Being a good daughter,
I agreed.

© 2011 N.Sevilla


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This conflict in identity that towers from being existentially independent in determining what sides should reflect us the carriers of that identity; between sides that reflect onto outside in thought and behaviour and those that we believe to reflect us which we take from outside-with learning, experiencing and discovering-breaks in the point that we never really accept that we are the sole owners of our own bodies. In that sense we seek acceptance to close that deficiency and feel completely and integrally like ourselves.

From your argument here you come out to the conclusion that you are a good daughter. But this conclusion in itsef-the way it comes out-is problematic and fits more the description of a silencing than an ending, asking one to ask this question: so what will happen now? The question whether the mother did her part by being a good mother could only further the needlessness of directing it if the mother believes in a certain possessive formula of protecting her child.

So being a mother is not an easy gift in that sense. Some mothers succumb to that formula easily by choosing to let their baby in their wombs and never let it out. Generally those mothers go in a far more difficult process of acceptance, beause somewhere old and deep in their minds they've never let that baby out.

Of course, there are different factors involved and this story is far more complex than to be summed in a couple of paragraphs. I hope things will always work out and develop in a positive way beyween you and your mother. Above all, we love our mothers so much, and much beyond what they can even begin to imagine.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh wow! Yes...the courage it takes to do so and when it is not understood...we agree to have that so called "help"...saddening we cannot be who we naturally are ...this is a good poem! xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


I agree with Jessica... I know how hard it can be to tell your patents. Its not an easy thing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I completely understand how this goes! This touches base on just a few things that may go down during a conversation of coming out to parents... I really enjoy the lay out of how you wrote this poem. Great work...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't like it when people, even parents do that to others! But other than that, this is goodly written.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

405 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2011
Last Updated on March 29, 2011

Author

N.Sevilla
N.Sevilla

CA



About
I've had this account for several years and I am finally coming back to my writing roots. It's been a joy to write again and look back on my poetry from 10 years ago and see the changes in my life. .. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by N.Sevilla