The Fault Is Ours

The Fault Is Ours

A Story by Salsa
"

Too often people assume that their words are enough to heal the hurt they've bestowed upon others, to mend the things they've broken, to right all their wrongs...

"
I'll be better
I'll stop
It won't happen again
I'll change
Please forgive me
This isn't who I really am
I'm not myself lately
I'm sorry
I'm sorry
I ' m  s o r r y

Words are just words until they're solidified by action. You can apologize all you want but it doesn't erase what was said or done.

There would be fewer broken hearts if people took the time to think about things before they did or said them. But that's our fault as human beings; often times we are too quick to act, and rarely ever think about consequences until it's much too late. And so we will forever be sweeping up the messes we make for ourselves. Apologizing to those we hurt because we were too selfish to keep them in the back of our minds; to put ourselves in their shoes beforehand. 

Someone can only hear that things are going to change so much before they realize that they're not. Before they realize that as much as they love you, they cannot stick around feelings like this and hanging on to empty words and promises. Make the effort, use your brain, think about someone other than yourself from time to time. We need to open our eyes and realize that there are consequences to everything we do. 

This isn't to say don't do anything at all. Risk is often rewarding. Chances are to be taken or we'll regret missing them. However, it wouldn't kill us to think of the people it could affect, first. 

I know, personally, I have spoken too soon, let words rush from my mouth, only to realize, had I taken the time to choose them more carefully, I wouldn't have hurt some of the people I did. You live and you learn, that much is true, but you don't truly learn anything unless you do what you say you're going to.

Don't tell someone something if you never intend on it happening. Don't make promises you can't keep. Don't apologize if you're not truly sorry or if you're just going to do it again. It may seem harsh, but at least you're being honest. 

You can't disappoint people if they don't expect anything from you, you can only surprise them.

Be the kind of person you want someone to be for you, because when all is said and done, you get back what you put in.

© 2014 Salsa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on March 14, 2014
Last Updated on March 14, 2014
Tags: Wrong, Words, Forgiveness, Broken, Hurt, Sorry, Apologize, Girl, Feelings, Sad, Angry, True Story, Rambling, Random

Author

Salsa
Salsa

MA



About
22. Western Mass. Full time Accountant. Part time daydreamer. Fluent in sarcasm & metaphors. Writing is my outlet & more often than not my 'stories' blossom from events that have actually occurred at .. more..

Writing
Love Songs Love Songs

A Book by Salsa