Stop Standing There

Stop Standing There

A Chapter by Jessica

Chapter Seven �" Stop Standing There

 

            I woke up on the floor, covered up with Josh’s jacket. I rubbed my eyes and stood up slowly. Josh was still lying on the sofa asleep and snoring. I tossed his jacket onto his head and realized he had my blanket; that inconsiderate jerk.

 

            “Wake up,” I shook his arm but he didn’t budge. I decided to just throw water on him. I grabbed a cup and filled it with cold water. I walked back over to the sofa and he looked up at me sleepily. “You’re just in luck, I was about to dump this on you.”

 

            He jumped up, still tangled in my blanket and tripped over his own feet. He landed on the floor with a loud thud. I instantly started cracking up.

 

            “Ha ha, funny,” He said and stood up. He folded up the blanket and sat back on the sofa while I was trying to stop laughing. “Clair, it wasn’t that funny.” He grabbed my arm and pulled me onto the sofa. I ended up halfway on his lap, but thankfully didn’t spill the cup of water.

 

            “That was really mean,” He teased, taking the cup from me, “Time for payback.” I stopped laughing and struggled to get up, but he was a little bit stronger. He dumped the water over my head, splashing some onto himself in the process.

 

            I gasped, the water was colder than I expected. He chuckled. “I hate you,” I said flinging water off of my arm and onto his face. I tried to get up again, but he pulled me back down, and leaned towards my face.

 

            “No, you don’t,” He said seriously, he grabbed my chin and looked into my eyes, “you like me, remember?” His face abruptly broke into a devilish grin. I rolled my eyes and pulled my face from his hand.

 

            “Yeah, whatever,” I said, and then he surprised me by grabbing my hand.

 

            “Well, I like you, if that counts for anything,” He said, serious again. I looked back at him and he leaned in and kissed me before I could protest. I started to push him away but he just pulled me closer and I kissed him back. His arm snaked around my waist, the other tugging gently at my hair. I gripped his shirt, and pulled his face closer. What was I going to do? He was right, I liked him.

 

~*~

 

            “Which ride first?” Eric asked. I had agreed to go with him to the fall festival.

 

            “You choose,” I said, and smiled, despite how jealous I was that Josh had showed up with Sammy. I knew I had no right to be jealous, but I just couldn’t shake the feeling. I mean, he kissed me, told me he liked me, and then said he had to go. Now he’s here with her. It just didn’t make any sense.

 

            Eric led me to this giant ship ride where it rocks back and forth drastically. We handed the guy standing by the gate our tickets and ‘boarded the ship’

           

            After about seven more rides, I finally convinced Eric to give the rides a break and move onto the games. He only agreed so easily because he was feeling a little sick. I just hoped he didn’t barf all over before the date was over.

           

            “Clair, Eric, hey, there you are!” Sammy shouted. I had just managed to ditch them both three rides ago. I sighed as they approached. I avoided Josh’s eyes and looked directly at Sammy.

           

            “Here we are,” I said and grinned pathetically. Sammy grabbed Josh’s arm, and he looked at me awkwardly. I looked away.

           

            “So, I was hoping you’d let me steal Eric away for a few minutes. I have been dying to go on that spinning ride, over there, but Josh is too chicken and I know Eric loves those rides, so…” She let go of Josh and sauntered over to Eric.

           

            “Go ahead; I need a break from the rides anyway.” I said, and smiled again. She hooked her arm through Eric’s and started to tug him away.

           

            “Great, you’re the best Clair!” She shouted and Eric gave me a look of fake terror. I laughed, and walked away from where Josh was standing. I headed for one of the food stands so I could grab something to drink. The food stand was all lit up with flashing orange and yellow lights and it was already dark.

 

            “Clair,” Josh said, following me. I stopped and turned to face him. He reached for my arm and I glared at him and pulled away.

           

            “What,” I asked, “What do you want?” Hurt flashed across his face and my face softened. “Why did you kiss me?” Now he looked confused.

           

            “I told you, Clair,” He said, “I like you.” I laughed darkly, not believing him, despite the little flips my heart was doing. I stepped closer.

           

            “So do you ‘like’ Sammy, too, or…” I trailed off. He laughed this time. He grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes.

           

            “I was just keeping up appearances. She thinks you are dating Eric. Plus, I said that I would go with her last week.” He said and tugged my hand, pulling me a little closer. He’s right. I am pretending to date Eric. I pulled away my hand. “What, I am telling the truth.”

 

            “I know, but like you said, I’m pretending to date Eric. I can’t be seen holding hands with you.” I said. He looked upset but he quickly recovered.

            “Well what about tomorrow? Saturday night? Do you have anything planned?” He asked me, pulling me behind the food stand. It was dark and secluded behind it and I could barely see his face.

 

            “No, why,” I asked confused. He leaned in and kissed me. It wasn’t like before; it was quick and made my heart speed up to the point where I felt it was going to explode out of my chest.

 

            “Can I come over, then, tomorrow?” He whispered into my ear. I knew I should have said no. All this could end up being was a huge confusing mess. I should call things off with Eric and be with Josh, but Eric really wanted Sammy off of his back for a little while. I couldn’t call it off just yet.

 

            “Sure,” I said. He kissed me one more time before letting go of my hand. He smiled at me and nodded for me to follow him out from behind the food stand.

 

            “Stop standing there,” He grinned, “Let’s go.” I laughed and followed him.



© 2012 Jessica


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on August 13, 2012
Last Updated on August 13, 2012
Tags: fall festival, date, jealous, love, romance, teen, fake date


Author

Jessica
Jessica

MI



About
bleh. more..

Writing
Intro Intro

A Chapter by Jessica