The Man Who Jumped

The Man Who Jumped

A Poem by yourhaircutman

 How could we ever be mad at

the man who jumped? He took

the greatest leap of faith and knew

what the outcome would be.


It is the most beautiful photo I've

ever laid my eyes on. In one picture,

there is so much to be said. The man,

lonesome, with the burning, tumbling

tower sitting in the backdrop emits

so many feelings.


Fear, sadness, anxiety, courage, love,

humanity, anger, pride, patriotism.

Beauty.


I don't know if there's a Heaven and a Hell,

but if there is and God damned this man to

Hell,

I'm not sure I'd want to get into Heaven.


I wish I could have even an ounce of this

man's courage.

Rest in peace.

© 2012 yourhaircutman


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Alm
how could we ever understand how he jumped. Some may look at it with judgmental eyes, and like you did, admiration.

I don't exactly believe in God. It seems that whatever faith I had was tested and failed. Or, I opened my eyes. I set myself free.

I cannot be mad at this man. He set himself free, he chose not to be afraid in that final moment. While I do not condone suicide, (because, right now, it is done for all the wrong reasons) I accept the actions of this man.

-Alm

Posted 11 Years Ago


I saw something similar on a report about the falling man photo, his wife said he was not the kind of person who would have jumped and left his family all alone, and that he would not want to go to hell. On one hand the whole family is in grief and disbelief. But it is also a selfish and insensitive view to say someone is going to hell for killing themselves. When faced with an impossible situation such as the tragedy that occurred on that building, no one can say which was the right or wrong decision when you're facing death in both directions. I'm not a believer but I believe humans do have a conscience and courage has so many manifestations whether a person thinks the act is big or small. The photograph is a moment of truth, and a historical record. If it was never taken then that story may not have reached millions of people. I'm glad you open the venue for discussion on such matters, it does need to happen.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sorry, maybe I should have explained more. This was in response to hearing people say that the man in the photo should be sent to Hell for committing suicide. Sure, he may have been pushed out or what have you, but I guess that's similar to another thing this poem talks about: beliefs. You may believe he was pushed out, where as I believe that he jumped. You may believe in God (or some other higher power), I may not. Who is to say what really happened? But if that man were to choose to jump, I feel that that is a brave and bold decision to make. It would take a substantial amount of courage to jump from that building - anything that high up, really. To say that courage was concentrated solely on those in "fireman's boots and police badges" takes away from all of the suffering that the people in the buildings actually went through. To each their own, and I'm glad you shared your opinion, but I stand fully by my writings and opinions.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think you have good intentions but I'm not sure I agree with you. "How could we ever be mad at him" is an odd statement so I might be misunderstanding you on that one. As far as it being a beautiful picture, I can only say I disagree. And as far as his bravery, he may have been pushed out by others desperate for air or the heat may have been too much to bear. Over 200 people jumped or slipped from both towers that day. Courage came from those who wore fireman's boots and police badges.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very true words. I couldn't agree more.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2012
Last Updated on May 31, 2012
Tags: pleasewritehome, sad, poem, 9/11, september 11, plane, the man who jumped

Author

yourhaircutman
yourhaircutman

About
I'm an angry kid with terrible ideas. more..

Writing
Much Much

A Poem by yourhaircutman


1963 1963

A Poem by yourhaircutman


Free Free

A Poem by yourhaircutman