Surpised Again

Surpised Again

A Story by Tim

 He stood off to the side in the shadows. He was waiting for the speaker to finish and announce his name. He was very nervous. Besides the butterflies doing somersaults in his stomach,his hands became sweaty. He wiped the perspiration from his brow and tried not to think about what was going to take place. He began to think about some things in the past that would take his mind off the event.......

 A number of years earlier he was on his way  to Boston, with a group of friends, to attend Handel’s Messiah at the Boston Symphony Hall. Everyone was in the holiday mood with the exception of the driver. He was having a hard time finding the hall. He glanced out the window to see what street they were on. He told the driver, “Take a right at the light and the hall will be down on the left.” Number of them turned and looked surprised. Scott asked,” How do you know where it is?” He replied, “ I have been there before.” “You have?” Scott questioned. “Yes, several times”, He answered. “You never cease to surprise me.” Scott replied.

 He continued to wait off to the side, waiting patiently. He felt like he needed to run to the bathroom. But did not want to chance being called while he was gone. So he returned to his thoughts as a distraction. ... ...

 He had just hung up the phone. He had been asked to fill in for a speaker and agreed to it. The next week he prepared for the talk. Going over his notes making changes until he felt he had everything down that he wanted. He read it over a few times so that it was embedded in his memory.

 The evening came for the talk. As he approached the podium he could see the surprised looks on the faces of the crowd. He could tell that they weren't expecting him. As he began to speak all nervousness left himand he delivered his talk with clarity and smoothness. He looked on the faces of the crowd and  could tell that he was holding their attention. Forty-five minutes later he finished. As soon as he finished a number of people came up to him and complimented him on his talk. Some suggested that because of the excellent job he had done that he should be doing more of it. He humbly thanked them for their comments, said good evening, then left..........

 He thought by now he would have been announced. The butterflies were starting to return again. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out trying to calm his nerves. He closed his eyes and let mind wander back again..............

 The memo had just come out. All mangers had to prepare a presentation to be given to the company's Board of Directors and the President of the company, as well as some of the upper management in the company. Each manager prepared their presentation and waited for the great day. By some luck of the draw he was to the first one chosen to give their presentation.

 He walked into the room of about fifteen people. Introduced himself and his position in the company. He started his presentation, stopping occasionally to answer a question or two. After the presentation, there were more intense questions. He nailed each question, at the same time asking questions back at them. When he left the meeting he was flying high. He knew he had done a good job and was able to answer any question given to him.

 Later that day one of those attending the presentations came up to him in the hallway. “ You did an excellent job with your presentation. Being the first you set the bar for the rest of presentation. No one came close to it.” He replied..............

 Finally his name was announced. He walked up to the microphone and looked out over the audience. There had to be two hundred people sitting before him. He looked over to the pianist then gave a nod. The pianist began the introduction. Starting to sing his nervousness had left him. He put all his the energy into the song, delivering it almost flawlessly. He had missed a note of two but must likely no one would notice. He had sung before people before, but never solo. He looked out at the audience and - he knew.

  This country boy had surprised them once again.

 

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this so much and, the final sentence is an interesting one. Say that because I've lived in the country virtually all my life, not exactly a country girl but... but the real country people are the kindest, most world aware, most sensible and, Nature aware people I know. So, there!

This really goes along at a pace, says a lot about the man (you?) and what he can quite humbly and quietly cope with and do. In a way, it has a real moral. Sometimes the conceited and overly confident people 'come a cropper' as we say in the UK because they're such windbags! This man (you?) does his very best in a gentle way and, wins the day.

Thanks so much for sharing. It's sincere.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was a wonderful story and seemed to have a ring of truth to it. Enjoyed as I always do when I have the time to visit. So sorry that I have not been able to drop in for a few days. The real world keeps grabbing me and holding on tight. LOL

I will be back soon.

Blessings,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well, of course, absolutely. I'm not surprised a bit!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The cool thing for me, as I read this, was I couldn't figure out how everything connected. What did directions have to do with public speaking, and what did that have to do with singing? Ah.... I got it in the end... Very cool way of demonstrating surprise without just saying "they were surprised." I had a writing teacher who once said, "Don't state things... imply them and creatively describe them so well that the reader comes to your conclusions without a spoon-feeding." Very well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I liked this Tim a good write.

The scene was set very well.

I could see this as a short movie.

The young man feeling so nervous and excited, waitng to be called, while the flasbacks give us an idea of this man and his past achievements.

We are kept grounded in the moment as he keeps coming back to the present to see what is happening.

His achievements were all a surprise to the listeners but again the small moral here is "to prepare, practice, research and KNOW the subject YOU ARE SPEAKING ABOUT.

There is also a small clue here, easily missed - but still there (Handel's Messiah at the Boston Symphony Hall and having been there more than once)

Finally being called on stage and...

A country boy goes to th city and wows them.

Excellent write that could easily be turned intio a short movie.

jen



Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like this so much and, the final sentence is an interesting one. Say that because I've lived in the country virtually all my life, not exactly a country girl but... but the real country people are the kindest, most world aware, most sensible and, Nature aware people I know. So, there!

This really goes along at a pace, says a lot about the man (you?) and what he can quite humbly and quietly cope with and do. In a way, it has a real moral. Sometimes the conceited and overly confident people 'come a cropper' as we say in the UK because they're such windbags! This man (you?) does his very best in a gentle way and, wins the day.

Thanks so much for sharing. It's sincere.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I thought he was nervous about giving a speech, so when he sang, it was a surprise. Oh, you meant for that to happen, didn't you? I sang in choirs for years but was never brave enough to do a solo--no way. Yep---you got me. Good job, Tim!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 3, 2008
Last Updated on September 4, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..