The Burden within the Beast

The Burden within the Beast

A Story by Nic Caldwell
"

As the world dies, two complete strangers strive on and continue on to find happiness. When all hope is beginning to be lost, they find each other. But things soon begin to change.

"
There before it stood, the burden within the beast. A desolate woman screaming at the atrocious world surrounding her. The grey ash fell down from the cold skies as the men in yellow suits screamed back. The world was dead, the virus had bedridden it. The wall was the only thing standing between the last of humanity and what it deserved. Jillian was just another piece to the end of the puzzle.
 
For as long as he could remember, he has had no one. He has been alone, just as the woman before him. In a world of death and coldness, where all hope is lost, and happiness is unseen, he found her. Elizabeth, a woman much like himself. A body, just longing to smile again. With her, his world seemed calm. It seemed alive. Her beauty added color to the dullness of the world. For the first time in a long time, they smiled, side by side, hand in hand, together. A day was to pass, and they arrived at the wall. 

Her eyes shower the pain as the skies tear down into ash. The mud beneath their feet and the chaos within the air, the world was screaming. The men in yellow suits threatened to fire. She shut the colors within the beauty of her eyes and grit her teeth unable to bare the atrocious reality. Jillian stood by and watched. He watched a woman scream out in pain and shatter down into sorrow and confusion when all she wanted was the pursuit of happiness. He watched as the yellow suits carried the burden within the beast. 

The ash fell down around her. She was deteriorating into sorrow, hate, and confusion. The cold rain fell down to her skin as Jillian's fingertips brushed the skin of her palm. He takes her hand as she slowly opens the color within her eyes. Although Jillian had the chance to live another day, he wouldn't want to live a single second without being by her side. She was his happiness. He understood what it felt like to be alone, but this, this was not desolate, it was compassion. For yet they had each other. 

Their world becomes silent as the men in yellow suits become mute. Their world brightens with color. The green begins to grow. Life begins to uprise. It feels like forever. Jillian stares into the beauty of Elizabeth as he whispers, "I'm glad i met you." Then Elizabeth smiles as the shots ring out. The shell casings fall, collapsing into the mud, as do their bodies. Side by side. Hand in hand. Together...

© 2013 Nic Caldwell


Author's Note

Nic Caldwell
This is an Essay i wrote for my English teacher. The essay is over "Compassion". I am the first student to ever receive a 4/4 from the teacher. I decided to upload it to this great website to see what you guys had to say. Ratings, comments, ideas, thoughts,

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Perfect!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nic Caldwell

11 Years Ago

Wow, Thank You :)
Winchester Saltgunner

11 Years Ago

welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
1 Review
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013
Tags: love, sorrow, burden, the beast, idea, ending, death, dead, compassion, beauty, life, the wall, sickness, virus, passion, pity, together, forever, finding happiness

Author

Nic Caldwell
Nic Caldwell

Eustace , TX



About
Music. Drums. Photography. I am a writer. I am a filmmaker. more..

Writing