Sarah and the Dragon

Sarah and the Dragon

A Story by Will
"

Princess Sarah rides through the kingdom on her pink unicorn. Happy with her peaceful existence until one day while riding through the forest she encounters a powerful dragon with a secret.

"
Once upon a time in the land of Yamanashi there lived a beautiful princess named Sarah.  She was not your average princess, no.  This was no damsel in distress, no hapless maiden, no dimwitted fashion queen.  Tough as nails, sharp as glass, and quick as a sword she tore through the kingdom on her pink unicorn, Bubbles, leaving behind her a trail of broken hearts and crushed spirits.

Her father, King Whats-His-Name, did not know what to do with his daughter.  She was obstinate to a fault, unshakable in her beliefs and opinions.  Chief among those were the idiocy of all around her.  Though she loved her father, she could not find within the patience necessary to even speak to other men.  

A typical conversation with our fair princess...

"M'lady, how doth the the sun pale in compar..."
"Shut your stupid face before Bubbles impales you with her horn."
"But... I..."
"Why must you all be so dumb?"
"Surely M'lady doth je...*"

And Lord von Dumbface was never heard from again.

One day while riding through the enchanted forest Princess Sarah heard a queer sound.  The cacophonous thunder sounded like a boulder landing on a culinary academy filled with armor-clad whelps.  As she turned around Sarah saw in the distance several knights running away from what looked like a slowly unfurling sun.  Behind the knights, trees were set aflame and torn from their roots as a massive obsidian dragon charged after the tiny humans.  Sarah stood fast staring at the scene with a sense of both dread and awe.  The dragon's giganticness was such as to make a weaker mind crumble under the weight of it's being, it's ferocity would make even the bravest knight's blood run cold (as we have seen).  

Abandoning their armor and weapons the knights called out as they ran past "Lady Sarah!  Run!  Save yourself!"  Though none stopped to actually help the Lady Sarah.  

But as we well know, Sarah is not one to need help.  Rather leaping to the ground and donning shield, helmet, and sword from one of the cowardly knights she mounted Bubbles and bravely charged towards the colossal beast.  As she neared the dragon it unleashed a titanic blast of fire from it's gaping maw.  Raising her shield Sarah managed to protect herself from the initial blast.  The heat from the fire began to melt the shield and she had to drop it to the ground where it neatly burst into flames.

"HO HO HO...  WHATEVER WILL YOU DO NOW PUNY HUMAN?" boomed the dragon.
"I'll fight you where I stand!" Sarah challenged.
"DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU STAND A CHANCE?  WHY WOULD YOU SO WANTONLY DISCARD YOUR LIFE?"
"Why because thou art a dragon, if I don't stand against you now surely thou willst go forth and bring great destruction and woe to my kingdom."
"CHILD DOST THOU EVEN KNOW WHYFOR I GAVE CHASE TO THOSE COWARDLY MEN?"
"In truth I do not, the reason seemed clear that should thou be evil then it must follow that thou woulds't give chase to all goodly things."
"HO HO HO...  HOW LITTLE IS THINE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORLD TO WHICH YOU WERE SPAWNED.  IT IS THIS IGNORANCE YOU CAN THANK FOR YOUR DEATH!!!"

As these last words echoed from his cavernous mouth another torrential wave of fire shot out and scorched the Earth.  Luckily for Sarah, as fast as the fireball was, Bubbles was faster.  Dodging the searing flames Bubbles charged and leapt towards the towering figure of the dragon.  Plunging her horn deep into the side of the behemothic lizard the dragon let out a deafening wail.  Sarah and Bubbles quickly retreated only to watch the monstrous form of the dragon swoon and collapse onto the surrounding trees.

Cautiously Sarah approached the dragon, sword in hand, ready to perform a coup de grace and end this dragon's tyranny once and for all.  As she approached the dragon opened one of it's building-sized eyes and started directly at her.  Though unable to move he could still speak.

"CHILD THOU HAST BESTED ME.  YET LET ME SPEAK TO THEE, LEST MY FINAL WORDS GO UNHEARD."
"Speak terrible creature, I shall listen."
"TO THE NORTH BUT A LITTLE WAYS IS A CAVE, WITHIN LIES THAT WHICH YOU MOST DESIRE..."
"That which I... Wait I don't understand!"
"WORRY NOT, YOU SHALL...." 

And with his last terrible breath the dragon passed from this existence.

"Well Bubbles, shall we check out that cave?"

Riding North the cave lied in the midst of a thick forest.  But it was just as the dragon had told them, he had not misled them....

After finding the dragon's cave and fighting off some evil Cave Spiders, Sarah and Bubbles found the dragon's treasure.  It was a bag of magic seeds that would grow into whatever the planter wanted.  Sarah took the seeds and went to an empty field and planted each seed while muttering a prayer her Nana taught her many years ago. 

Sing to me, oh peppermint trees;
Cookies, cakes, and heavenly treats;
Before we start, you fill up my heart;
Delicate tastes, and your sweetly soft grace.


It took some time but every day Sarah would go back to the field and sing the prayer.  Seasons past and finally the first few trees started to sprout forth from the ground.  In time they would grow into little saplings and before she knew it the first of the trees began to produce some of the most beautiful blooms ever seen by man.

What was most miraculous was that within each flower was a perfectly baked cookie.  Sarah had planted an entire forest of cookie trees.  There were all manner of trees to be found, chocolate chip, sugar, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, chocolate chocolate chip, macadamia, anything you could imagine.  The trees were indeed magical, and their sap was that of honeyed milk.

Sitting under a tree, Sarah shared a revelation she had with Bubbles,

"Bubbles, do you think that our kingdom has warred with the dragons all these years to gain possession of these seeds?"

Bubbles neighed her agreement.

"Quite right Bubbles.  They probably would have just planted something stupid anyways."

Sarah and Bubbles lived happily ever after in their cookie forest and were never bothered again by man or dragon.

THE END

© 2010 Will


Author's Note

Will
I wrote this for my friend's birthday. Yamanashi is a province in Japan.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on August 16, 2010
Last Updated on August 16, 2010

Author

Will
Will

Nakayama, Japan



Writing
Left Behind Left Behind

A Story by Will


R.I.P. My 20's R.I.P. My 20's

A Story by Will