Face of stone

Face of stone

A Story by Dandelion

Tic. Tic. Tic... 

For many years now, I've been unconsciously hearing the same sound since the day I was born. Professionally carved in cedar, this small clock was made for me by my father, a talented woodworker.

He was a secretive man but was recognized as the best woodworker in Calgary. He was also very protective, me being his one and only child. To my frustration, he became 10 times worse when Jeremy appeared in my life...

He was my very first love and at the time, everything felt so perfect. But now, at 23 years old, I believe that I ignored serious hints and warnings about him.

My dad didn't like Jeremy so I started to keep my distances from home even though it meant choosing my lover over the man that raised and loved me unconditionally.

I also felt that my dad simply couldn't understand how badly I loved Jeremy. I remember when my dad would call him "face of stone" and tried to explain to me that he was a "dark man with dark intentions". I almost hated him for that.

Shortly after I had moved out, he died of a heart attack, leaving me alone with no one but myself in deep regret and sorrow. And Jeremy had vanished... 

Tic.Tic.Tic... 

In a flash, I am dragged out of my heavy slumber. My dreams replaced by the tickings, unusually irritating me for the first time.

I cannot remember what my agitated dream was about but the stressful beats of my heart and the cold sweat dripping from my forehead down to my neck gives me the doubts that I had a nightmare, again.

What time is it? Have i slept for long? It sure feels like it by feeling a wave of numbness rushing through my veins. I cannot remember falling asleep, but I can feel my heavy body lying on my bed.

My dad used to tuck me in at night and kiss my forehead before I went to sleep. Now I am alone, missing these old times every single night. These memories are making me sick.

I sense that there is a light blanket covering my waist down to my toes by pressing gently against my bare arms. I can also feel a small breeze sweeping my face.

Surprisingly, I can't seem to move or open my eyes. I would honestly stay in bed forever, so I don't care if I can move or not.

I've cried myself to sleep for countless times now, grieving my dad's death and Jeremy's disappearance. Maybe he just didn't love me and found someone better, which makes me feel sick.

Suddenly, something makes me come out of my depressing thoughts. Concentrated on the sound of the ticking clock, I realise that this particular sound is unfamiliar to me. In fact, it is loud and harsh. The clock in my room has a softer sound.

I suddenly become alert, and my heart makes a jump. This is not my room. The blanket on top of me is not mine. Where am I?

Stressed, I try to move but my body seems to be unresponsive. My eyelids are sealed tight on my eyeballs. Becoming aware of a strange scent, my nostrils hurt and I immediately feel like throwing up.

When six years old, I fell off a kiddy slide at the park; which resulted with a broken left arm so I had to stay in a hospital for one night. I couldn't stand the smell of chemicals so I ended up staying awake all night because of that.

So that's it. I'm in a hospital. But why? I don't remember anything before waking up here. Am I hurt? Is my life threatened? Did I just wake up from a coma?

Frustrated, I try as hard as I can to move, in vain. In a last desperate intent, I force my eyes open.

Expecting bright lights and white walls, I am surprised to see that it is very dark. There are no needles in my arms, no respiratory devices on my face. Instead, my arms and legs are tied and I am lying on a cold floor, not a bed.

My entire body hurts in an unexplainable pain and there is a piece of tape covering my mouth. I promptly start to shake and cry uncontrollably, realizing my vulnerable position. Where am I? What is going on?

My eyes are slowly getting used to the dark atmosphere and I can now see the shapes of various furniture and objects around me.

I know this room. My heart suddenly feels like it is ripping apart. This was our secret place. 

Tic.Tic.tic...

I hear loud footsteps, then a door opening in a crack. I can't stop shaking from terror.

A silhouette walks beside me, stopping right next to my feet. My eyes can now see big black boots, followed by long muscular legs.

All of the signs that I once ignored are now alerting my brain with one simple order:

You need to run away now, before it's too late.

But I cannot move.

He is wearing his old dark jacket with his silver necklace hanging from his neck. The one that I gave to him on his birthday. His rebel brown hair that I once adored to stroke are sticking out of his hood and contouring his long pale face.

He isn't smiling; he seems terrifying with his fierce eyes starring directly into mine. My dad was right, now everything is clear. Standing tall with a face of stone, the person in front of me ... is Jeremy.

© 2015 Dandelion


Author's Note

Dandelion
A sudden inspiration I got. Should I continue the story or maybe make a book out of it? Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

what is the strange and dark purpose that these efforts are used with these efforts spent why does the disappararation lie in disarray a tomb divide i see no remorse just sardonically satirical tones all words uttered and all material used it seems to speak a stony face can not be bruised

I do not judge just observe
5/100 because of the tension and the story beginning about the father and the daughter and the clock
why turn the long dark winding road when the short cut to glimmers of the sparkling shining elusive bright can be portrayed make and carve a majestically smiling circle eyed guardian or persona yours chosen one even if others have a chip on their shoulder at least your heart will be the light one warmth is not just a concept it can be felt as well just as real as anything else.
;~}


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dandelion

9 Years Ago

I understand your poit of view, this is simply a rough draft for a scene for my novel that I'm writi.. read more



Reviews

what is the strange and dark purpose that these efforts are used with these efforts spent why does the disappararation lie in disarray a tomb divide i see no remorse just sardonically satirical tones all words uttered and all material used it seems to speak a stony face can not be bruised

I do not judge just observe
5/100 because of the tension and the story beginning about the father and the daughter and the clock
why turn the long dark winding road when the short cut to glimmers of the sparkling shining elusive bright can be portrayed make and carve a majestically smiling circle eyed guardian or persona yours chosen one even if others have a chip on their shoulder at least your heart will be the light one warmth is not just a concept it can be felt as well just as real as anything else.
;~}


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dandelion

9 Years Ago

I understand your poit of view, this is simply a rough draft for a scene for my novel that I'm writi.. read more
You're an excellent storyteller. That was some riveting stuff. But I don't understand the end. Is this a sequel or something?

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dandelion

9 Years Ago

Thank you! It means a lot. I rewrote the whole story because at first, it was only an idea I had to .. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Sufian

9 Years Ago

Dark is awesome! I hope to see more of you. And you're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2014
Last Updated on January 25, 2015
Tags: clock, dreams, sleep, dark, waking up, love, teen, past, family, heartbreak

Author

Dandelion
Dandelion

Atlantic , Canada



About
Hi! I am 20 years old and I just rediscovered my writerscafe account. It all started in my English class this year when my teacher asked the class to write a short descriptive writing. It could be.. more..

Writing