Oil against its lamp

Oil against its lamp

A Story by Pranav Malhotra

And then when u sit down under a high ceiling, a piano on your left arm, The tones of a half lit incandescent candle perched on a colonial holder, your eyes fixed on the shining button of your black  trench coat. Memory of a lost love, the last sip remaining in a stem glass of suburban french wine, The rhythmic breeze flirting with the musical chime. Making a charmed melody of some moist nostalgic times. Some fresh air passes against you, getting mixed with your smoky breath, This fresh air will never  be fresh again for now its poisoned with your sadness and deflowered with your musk. The moon quietly looks at you through the window that is busy mating you with the world of stars.

Slowly your eyes begin to close as a mirage of her sultry lady curves appears. Like an enchanted princess in the dry desert of your eyes. Slowly watering the desert it takes a toll on your feeble heart. 
Through the rusty bars of the dungeon, She stretches her hand for you. . . Craving for her saviour. Eyeing for her warrior. Her long flowing dress doesn't belong to that muddy rough cage. Those ugly walls aren't suited to her smooth skin. She's an angel who belongs to the airy-wooly lap of clouds. Of beautiful sunrises between two snowy mountains. She isn't accustomed to the ordeal she's been put through and its harsher when you're at the other end. The only thing that can save her is your music, your fingers hold the keys to her chains. Through that small barred window she's longing for you to play on and on. Oh how drenched she wants to be in your delirium, her eyes wetting those tender rosy cheeks all in your memory, her heart beating for you beyond those bars. 

But you have to be cruel to tonight , You have to be strong enough to watch her suffer. You have to ignore her, even if it means stabbing your feelings with an unchained melody. 
You do things You'd never imagine yourself doing. You make and break hearts. You love  -lose yet love again. Its your ultimate lust to own. But the funny thing is that you cannot own the things you love. You can accompany them, admire them, cherish them and bask in their bosom, but you can't choose them or claim them.

You cannot instruct your heart to stop beating and thats why  the things you love have the power to render you powerless.

© 2013 Pranav Malhotra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Typical Male.. the Good part is that you are honest which in itself is a good thing.. beautifully written

Posted 10 Years Ago


The beauty of your words in this write is breathtaking.
Gorgeous imagery, haunting. the ending...wise words written
With poetic beauty.

Definitely one of my favorite writes on here...I look forward to reading
More of your writings...thanks for sharing :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pranav Malhotra

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Barrie , it means a lot to me.:)
ms. barrie

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome, Paranav... was a pleasure to read :)
Thanks for the Good read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pranav Malhotra

10 Years Ago

thank you , spread the love. :)
That's the thing.. when a heart loves someone we lose our control on it.. that's sort of like.. I don't know.. it's like a punishment for falling in love..

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You cannot instruct your heart to stop beating and thats why they have the power to render you powerless.
Stellar writing. Saturated with atmosphere, scent and vibrancy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Well, contrary to most opinions here, the last line for me was spot-on. I get it. These lines:

"We do things we'd never imagine us doing. We make and break hearts. We love them -lose them and love again. Its the ultimate lust to own. But the funny thing is that you cannot own the things you love. You can accompany them, admire them, cherish them and bask in their bosom, but you can't choose them, claim them or unhurt them. "

are the perfect preface to the last line. In love our power is limited ... we are its victim regardless of our respective role in the couple dynamic. The language here was complex without being arcane. Very elegant.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Beautiful. I felt every word. Being strong enough to watch her suffer. That resonated. I apologize for my lengthy absence and my silence. I hope you are well. PM me if you like.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I understand the sentiment. Reminds me of someone I know. Sounds like something she'd say, actually. A well-penned expression of fear for which words are hard to come by. Thanks.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is eautiful. Your use of English is perfect. Egmatic is not understood withthe mind but what transcends it...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A good write, I agree with the other reviewers. The last line puzzles me a bit too, the text a shade too enigmatic. In using the present tense you make your life difficult.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pranav Malhotra

10 Years Ago

Thank you, I have amended the line referred to above.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

797 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 22, 2013
Last Updated on November 22, 2013
Tags: Love, colonial, lost, romance, rendezvous, forlorn

Author

Pranav Malhotra
Pranav Malhotra

Amritsar, Punjab, India



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..