Her Letter

Her Letter

A Story by Sarah

     She picked up the pen and looked at the blank sheet in front of her.  Pale pink, unlined, it glared, angry she couldn't find the words to decorate it.  Taking a deep breath, she began to scratch her pen across the surface...

Baby,

     I miss you, but don't know what to say.  Every day is the same without you.  I wake up.  I go to work.  I eat and talk to my friends.  I hope to see you online, but only get offline messages, when I finally check.  I miss you.  I go to sleep and dream of the day I can have you back in my arms again.  Then I wake up and do it all over again. 

     I never thought it would be this hard, but I'm so glad that I have our reunion to look forward to.  It's what keeps me going through the monontony of my everyday.  I'm so proud of you and what you do for our country.

     It's almost easier for me to be here than it would be for our roles to be reversed.  I'm so busy at work all day that I don't have time to worry about you.  You, on the other hand, have to live with the constant fear... and I know you do, even though you say that you're fine and that there's nothing to worry about.

     Of course you worry.  I can't tell you exactly where I am or what I've done each day.  Abi must come to you, asking for Mommy, and I couldn't imagine having to tell her that Mommy's at work so far away.  This place doesn't even have reliable internet, so I can't even let you know that I'm okay when I know you've seen a "BREAKING NEWS" story about another bombing in my general region. 

     I miss you baby, and am counting down the days until I come home.  46 and a wake-up, unless something happens between now and then.  Until then, I'll just mail this and hope that the internet comes back up before you get it.  I miss you, I love you and I'm sooo proud of you for everything you do that I can't.  Kiss our baby and tell her that I love her. 

                    I love and miss you,

                                  Peanut

     She folded up the sheet and put it in a matching envelope.  Checking to make sure that all her gear was in place, she tucked her letter home into one of the many pockets of her uniform.  Hopefully, it could go out soon.

 

 

© 2009 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

So not what I expected when I first began to read the letter. And I liked how the paper "glared" when she didn't know what to write. This was great!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I Love it! There's real love in this poem. Putting others before yourself. I like everything this poem stands for. Survival, faith, resilience, and compassion!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 23, 2009

Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
I'm pretty shy and don't like attention. I'm hoping it's easier to share online than with the people I know and love... more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Sarah