Addict Chick

Addict Chick

A Poem by Pete
"

There is no remedy for love but to love more. - Thoreau

"


I talked with you when everyone said, "Never mind her."
I listened to you when you told me how life had raped your soul.
I cried with you when we connected through the pain and hurt.
I stayed up all night holding you in my arms to keep the demons at bay.
I walked through the snow to sit with you at the hospital.
I held your hand when the nurse couldn't find a vein.
I caressed your cheek and ran my fingers through your hair despite how the stuff had aged you.
I kissed you even though your breath smelled of tobacco and the
junk had rotted your teeth.

I gazed into your inner beauty through gorgeous, cinematic eyes which served as looking glasses to your heart.
I saw an innocent, little girl holding a teddy bear, not withstanding your tough exterior.
We listened to music and sang together as we discovered that we knew the same words to the same songs.
We walked together in the street that day when we both laughed so hard that we doubled over and our stomachs hurt.
We laid naked in bed together where nothing hides.
We made love for the sake of love because all that we had to give each other was ourselves.
I sat with you week after week in the pew while they stared, pointed and whispered.

I carried your trash bag when they said you weren't welcome there anymore.
We never judged each other, despite our heavy baggage and different paths.
I pulled your hood up over your head because nothing is ever going to hurt you again, not even the wind at the train station.
Time flies when we're together because I never want it to end.

Most times, we don't have to talk; we look at each other and just know.
The poison that was in your hand has been replaced by my hand, our fingers intertwined.
You showed me how to care again and have the courage to face the new day.
Thank you addict chick.
I love you ...

© 2019 Pete


Author's Note

Pete
"Things do not change; we change." - Thoreau

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is brilliant & beautiful. Someone could've said a lot of these things about me, altho I've never been a hardcore addict with regards to drugs. But there are many ways to act out compulsively so as to blot out one's life and all these addicts have similar characteristics. You paint the scenes of this story with such a stunning tapestry of acceptance next to stark, sometimes almost painfully stark observations. There isn't one word that doesn't sound authentic for this type of relationship. I get so tired of reading typical love poems, it's a breath of fresh air to have love portrayed in all it's compelling layers. This is so well balanced, nothing jars anywhere! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

6 Years Ago

thank you ever so much. you get it all!! the test of true love lying in the dark valleys. when we.. read more
barleygirl

6 Years Ago

Your reply to my review is pretty special, too! *smile*



Reviews

Its such a simple concept that could move a mountain. With the lining of the certain turns as you work your way down. "I want to keep going," and before I know it its was done and left me speechless.
Thanks for sharing its really great~!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

glad you could feel it. thank you for your thoughts.
Outstanding expression of emotion and superb imagery. I loved the poem. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Queen for saying that. much appreciated. :)
wow, that is so emotional! So poetically creative!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Michael. I appreciate that.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Pete, that was a hard core difficult read. It feels real and I suspect one can only write with such raw passion and power when it is indeed true.
Hugs. Starz xo


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

You are correct. It is 100% real & true. It breaks my heart & I live with it every day. She is lo.. read more
Moving and powerful. I wish I could not so intimately relate.

I would have a few suggestions as a concern for flow. Most of the poem is as eloquent as it is provocative and powerful. There are only one or two phrases that I might choose differently to keep the readers eyes engaged and prevent distraction.

Spectacular piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm sorry you can "intimately relate". Feel free to comment on your recommended changes.. read more
m.s.early

7 Years Ago

I'm no literary critic. I'm probably well under-qualified to give any true literary comment.
.. read more
Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you m.s. I will take it under consideration and I appreciate the fact that it touched you. .. read more
A sad and powerful write and I liked the ending.
"Most times we don't have to talk, we look at each other and just know.
The poison that was in your hand has been replaced by my hand, our fingers intertwined.
You showed me how to care again and have the courage to face the new day.
Thank you addict chick.
I love you..."
Fallen souls and hearts can find comfort in each other. Must know the pain to grasp. Thank you Pete for sharing the amazing poetry and thoughts. Real life poetry is raw and needed.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote. I really appreciate that. That is what I try to do. “How vain it is to sit do.. read more
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I agree. We write from the gut and our experiences. You are welcome.
there was every reason not to love her, yet he did---love through the bad times makes for love that is even better when those times are behind us...there is always that feeling of love for love's sake..not because we got something from that person...but because we were there when she needed us.

this is so real...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

You are a wise man. I enjoy your writing & your reviews. You have good insight. Thank you Jacob.
I can see you have passion in your soul and a gift to express it, in many ways. I don't know if the story is true but you brought tears to my eyes....

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

The story is 100% true. She is destroying herself and I tried everything and can't stop it anymore... read more
Hebe

7 Years Ago

I am so sorry to hear that... I have tried to explain these situations, and the answer I have come u.. read more
Pete

7 Years Ago

We all fight - some of us to stay, others to get out.
Pete, I'm sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes, getting my papers all wet. I was that girl a long time ago, and... well, thank goodness for people like you. That's the most I can say right now. XOXO

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

You're strong and you made it. It is not easy. All my best to you.
D Connolly

7 Years Ago

One day at a time :)
Pete

7 Years Ago

The jury is still out on my friend (the subject of the poem). She is struggling greatly and I am ve.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
They say love covers a multitude of "sins" You say love is a warm blanket in a very cold and cruel world. It keeps your heart from freezing to death and helps you love yourself along the way. Pete every time I come here, I never leave untouched. You are a deep strong powerful writer, serving real meat and potatoes :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

Thank you Lynn for your kinds words. I write only what a truthfully feel deep within my heart. I'm.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5071 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2016
Last Updated on March 24, 2019

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..