Ho Ho Huh?

Ho Ho Huh?

A Story by Pete

Image result for man sitting alone in the dark

Tonight was Christmas Eve.  It was mild and the day's rain had long since stopped, leaving a dampness over the evening.  After Church, I took a walk in the park down by the waterfront.  There is an area that is unlit and thus very dark. A cement wall with a fence guards the water.  As I was walking passed it, I was surprised to see the silhouette of someone sitting there.  There was a bicycle leaning against the wall and beer bottles strewn on the ground.
We were both startled and neither of us knew what to say.  At first there was an uncomfortable silence.  Then I said, "Hi, how are you?"  A man reluctantly said, "Hi" back.  Then uncomfortable silence again.  We exchanged no other words.  I stood still in my spot, gazing at a few city lights reflecting on the water.  The man continued sitting while drinking from a bottle and didn't move either.  Both of us quiet.
Sometimes silence can be deafening.  After a brief time, I turned away to continue my walk.  There was no need to say anything else.  The scene spoke for itself.  "Merry Christmas, man in the dark."  Tomorrow we both have something to look forward to.  It's the birthday of someone special who knows us both.  The question is, do we know him?  And to all a good night ...

© 2017 Pete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Ho Ho Huh?'
Pete,
This was very meaningful. On a special time like Christmas there is a great amount to think about. Your time of walking, pondering and then the awareness of another whom God has placed within your path...
What may God be telling you? I loved this piece of writing for it says for more than mere words. Really good.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

great thoughts Kathy. perhaps this chance encounter had a higher purpose. thank you ... :)



Reviews

'Ho Ho Huh?'
Pete,
This was very meaningful. On a special time like Christmas there is a great amount to think about. Your time of walking, pondering and then the awareness of another whom God has placed within your path...
What may God be telling you? I loved this piece of writing for it says for more than mere words. Really good.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

5 Years Ago

great thoughts Kathy. perhaps this chance encounter had a higher purpose. thank you ... :)
YOu write very succinctly about this sad subject.
Sometimes silence speaks for itself.




Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

relating a brief description of a real occurrence to try and capture the feel.
Great Aunt Astri

7 Years Ago

Good for you. I find my inspiration for a poem very often from real life. I look forward to reading .. read more
Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you. as do i. i will be round to read more of yours. best regards.
"The question is, do we know him?"...Superb Pete....I must tell you that this is how I would speak to people since my childhood and leave them with a grin on their face...I often felt so misunderstood. But it is only after coming to WC I realized that I am not alone in that. And I appreciate your enthusiasm to make a difference to the world. I read your comments again :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

you have no idea how happy it makes me for you to say that. i was raised in faith but when things g.. read more
Diamond

7 Years Ago

I so understand what you are saying and I am glad that what I said made you happy. :)
A very powerful and moving poem, emotional. Good question is asked at the end. How many can say yes and believe it, how many say yes and not believe it. How many say no? Yes, Merry Christmas, why are we celebrating this day for?

A very extraordinary write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thanks Tina. great and true commentary.
Tina Kline

7 Years Ago

You're so welcome.
Very vivid picture painted indeed. And I like how you ended it! They seem so different, yet the faith that they share connects them...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

we are all connected in this thing called life whether we acknowledge or not. happy new year Mfd ..
No words were needed in this meeting of minds Peter - that much is clear. The shared humanity came to the fore and clearly an understanding was reached - that meant both were open and allowed the other 'in' for that moment in time.
You painted such a vivid picture here. Well done. Happy New Year my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Tony. i couldn't have explained it better myself. happy new year dear sir - may health a.. read more
Pete

7 Years Ago

i was re-reading your comment. there is so much wisdom in what you wrote - 'shared humanity, under.. read more
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

I imagine it all the time Pete for I am fortunate enough to have many friends - each of them introve.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

524 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 25, 2016
Last Updated on January 18, 2017

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pinings Pinings

A Poem by Sami Khalil