Lunch with Richard

Lunch with Richard

A Story by Pete

Image result for shocked friends at restaurant table

Each day, there is a group of five or six of us men who gather together for lunch and conversation.  There is always a lot of joking around, guy talk, discussion, debate, grumbling etc.  Today, I happened to be complaining about my soup.  Just then, a  woman we know from a local church happened to come in and stopped by our table to say hello.  
A few of us attend her church regularly.  But one of our clique, Richard, a great, respectable guy whom we know to be a drinker and somewhat of a loner, does not attend church with us.  He is a good guy, whom everyone likes.  He is usually very chipper, smiling and singing and loves to kid around.  He is very generous.  He lends people money, is very thoughtful and always willing to roll up his sleeves and help out someone in need.  We had often wondered why he did not attend but were afraid to pry and just wrote it off as him not being religious or spiritual or just not interested. He would never talk about it, so we just left it alone. 
After introducing themselves to each other, the woman remarked that she had never seen him before and asked why he had never attended church with the rest of us and if he would be interested in doing so.  Richard replied that he was not interested in attending church since he had been "molested by a member of the clergy when he was young".  An eerie, dead silence fell over the table as if someone had just switched off the light. Like someone had just let the air out of a tire in a big swoosh.  A bomb had gone off.  Everyone's jaw dropped and time stood still for what seemed like forever.  The ensuing stillness that followed was the longest minute of my life.
No one knew what to say and everyone just sat quietly in shock.  Shell shock that is.  The woman was stunned and a blank stare took over her sagging face.  It was as if something had just sucked the life out of her.  Not knowing what to say or do, she turned away and began focusing on someone at a nearby table.  Suddenly, my soup didn't seem so bad.
I went home and literally wept.  I can't stop thinking about him.  He is my friend and when my friends bleed, I bleed, especially for one as nice as he.  I could feel every ounce of his pain in that one instant, as if it had happened to me.  I'm so sorry.  God bless you Richard, our dear friend and a wonderful guy.  You just never know what crosses people bear in their lives ...

© 2017 Pete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I see it this way. With the disturbing experience that Richard had, his soul got elevated to a state where he does not need a mediator with God. Though it is painful to think of, I can say that this happens everywhere in the world. I hope I did not convey a wrong meaning Pete...

In the first paragraph, "at" after stopped is omitted.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Queen. that is a very interesting statement, really gave me something to think about. no.. read more



Reviews

So sad Pete.
The ministries are one such calling that paedos seem to be attracted to for their own sick reasons.
My own friend has been giving evidence to a tribunal of abuse he suffered at a children's 'home' ran by Catholic nuns.
I don't understand those abusers.
Brutal, honest write Pete.


Posted 7 Years Ago


Well, this story took a rather startling turn. I have to say, I was expecting something to happen with Richard but I never would have imagined that. The truly sad thing is that this kind of stuff happens for real. What a true write! I enjoyed reading this in that the layout was nice. That was the only thing enjoyable.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Tashida. appreciate your thoughts. you are right, the really sad part is that this sort .. read more
Tashida

7 Years Ago

Yes unfortunately :( so and you are very welcome :)
Hi Pete, An unforgettable and a painful psychological experience for anyone to go through. I'm so sorry for your friend.
Unfortunately God and the teachings of any religion get blamed for sick minded individuals who do these atrocities! Sadly in these circumstances the individual cannot separate between the two....

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Hebe. tragic. just a tragedy that has the potential to ruin a life ...
I see it this way. With the disturbing experience that Richard had, his soul got elevated to a state where he does not need a mediator with God. Though it is painful to think of, I can say that this happens everywhere in the world. I hope I did not convey a wrong meaning Pete...

In the first paragraph, "at" after stopped is omitted.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

7 Years Ago

thank you Queen. that is a very interesting statement, really gave me something to think about. no.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

724 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 1, 2017
Last Updated on February 2, 2017

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing
No Railing No Railing

A Poem by Pete



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Empty Hands Empty Hands

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay