Birth of the Gods

Birth of the Gods

A Chapter by LynLee

The birth of the Gods can be a bit gross and odd, but, hey, it's the Greek myths. Here is the birth of the six Gods. (born in order) Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Hades and Poseidon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

      Cronos had defeated his father, Uranus, and was now ruler of the world. He married his sister Rhea and she became his partner in ruling the world. But before Uranus had said his last breath he had prophesized that one of Cronos' children would over rule him. Now Cronos didn't care much for this, so while worrying with taking care of his mother, the earth, he suddenly noticed Rhea was pregnant. Rhea was over joyed with the idea of having children, but Cronos remembered the prophecy and grew worried. So the day came when Rhea was giving birth. As Rhea gave birth, Cronos swallowed the children. Rhea heard of what Cronos was doing and became angry. As she gave birth to the sixth child, she hid him in a cave and left him to the care of a mountain nymph. As she came to her house Cronos called to her yelling, "Rhea, give me the child!" Rhea, being very smart, wrapped a rock in baby clothes and gave it to Cronos. Cronos not caring to look, swallowed it and never thought it again.

 

      Meanwhile on the mountain, after Rhea gave birth she named the son Zeus. He was given the care to a  mountain nymph. He grew up being taught to fight and be fair. He grew up with vengence in his heart. All he wanted to do was get his brothers and sister out of his father's stomach and kill his father the way Cronos killed his.  He didn't go straight to him and ask for his brothers and sisters back, he went to his grandmother, mother Earth, Gaia. She gave him a special herb that he would put in his father's wine and soon throw up his brothers and sisters. So he disguised himself as a kitchen worker and put the herb in his fathers wine. Zeus gave it to him, himself and watched him throw up his brothers and sisters. Right then and there started the war between the gods and the titans. The gods and the titans had to decide who to fight for. Although not everyone fought. Hestia, the eldest born of Cronos and Rhea and goddess of the hearth, decided not to fight. Demeter, the second eldest, also did not fight. All in all the gods won the fight. The three brothers, Zeus, Posiedon and Hades, got a section of the world. The Gods declared Zeus be ruler of the Heavens because he was the one who freed them, Posiedon became god of the sea and Hades got the dreaded Underworld. Next they had to choose a wife. Zeus married his sister Hera and Hades and Posiedon later get a wife. Later in this book you will learn more about these Gods and there children.  



© 2010 LynLee


Author's Note

LynLee
if i did something wrong please tell me. But remember there are thousands of different versions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can tell this is very true to Greek mythology. I love reading about Greek mythology even though I'm a Christian. I like how short and to the point this is. I'm going to have to save this in case I ever forget.
You might like the 'Percy Jackson' books. It about a demi-god who finds out Posiedon is his father.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This story is very good. The myths are my favorite. I roam Italy and Greece. I saw the great statues still standing. Your story is very interesting. You tell enough to keep the reader's interest. Thank you for the story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


okay, at the beginning part the phrase "ruler of the world" is a bit repetitive. then in the second part about zeus the phrase "he grew up" repeats twice very close together.

(by the way, I never knew that the titans had parents, who are they? and who are the titans?)

anyways, good story! keep up the good work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This excites me. I love mythology and it's one of the things that I think this site is lacking. I never knew that part about the herb and being disguised as a kitchen worker. I'm interested to see the other myths you'll be posting.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

264 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2010


Author

LynLee
LynLee

Where I am free, VA



About
Hola, me llamo LynLee. De donde es Earth. Me cumpleanos es Noviembre 24. Me gusta es escribir. Sorry had to practice my spanish somewhere. I'm LynLee. I'm fourteen and I am a writer. My best frien.. more..

Writing
Believe Believe

A Poem by LynLee


Dark sunset Dark sunset

A Poem by LynLee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..