The Sunset

The Sunset

A Story by Peter Regal Whittam
"

A personal experience of the transition between day and night, light and dark.

"

Feeling the intensity of the sun’s rays lessen from a scorching heat to soft warmth, I sat up, dusting the sand off my arms. The beach was deserted, save for a lone fisherman hauling his catch to shore, a triumphant smile alight on his face at his success. With a chuckle, I returned my gaze to the vast ocean before me, standing witness to one of the most beautiful sights on earth: a sunset by the sea. 

 

The autumn season had cast an orange haze above the horizon, lighting up the sky as if by fire. The sun, like a regal fireball, was partially cloaked by the hanging clouds, which were all splashed with the random colors of pink, red and even hints of purple and blue. It seemed to look at me with a dull glare, as if it knew that the survival of every living being on earth depended on it. The waters reflected the beauty of the magnificent view, softly glowing colors from the palest amber - pink to the deepest, flaming red. The chirping of the birds, the roaring of the waves, even the distant noises of city life faded away to as soft hum, bowing down to the grandeur of the setting sun, bidding farewell to the king. The great orb hovered briefly on the horizon, and then dipped below.

 

At once, the wispy bands of clouds rolled in " first red, then mauve, silver, green and grey, as though all the colors in the world were being sucked into vast melting pot, but the daylight still lingered in the air, as though accidentally left behind; the fiery brilliance reminded me that the very thing that gave warmth, life, light and happiness so many could just as easily cause utter destruction with a hellish fury.

 

The sun was sinking faster now, cut in half by the edge of the world. The sky had already turned to a clear, purple - tinged grey, but to the west there was a ruby - red glow. The water turned to blood, gleaming in the last rays of the dying sun. The vista caused a stark realization to cascade upon me: everything has a time to shine, but after a while, they will have to fade. Tranquility washed over me, swallowing me up just like the sea swallowed up the sun. Suddenly it was over. Darkness washed over the remaining radiant colors which lit up the horizon. The yellow tinge amid the grey of the night remained the only evidence of the struggle of the light refusing to fade from the sky.

 

Sighing in content, I turned away from the sea and walked away, filled with wonder after witnessing the battle between light and dark, between David and Goliath, between Yin and Yang.

© 2013 Peter Regal Whittam


Author's Note

Peter Regal Whittam
Please be as harsh in criticism as you can, and I'd appreciate any feedback. Looking forward to the comments!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Poetic much? I have never read something so beautiful, all based on the sunset? Are you published any? I'm surprised it isn't bestseller if it's not...
I loved the vivid words and descriptive details. This is the kind of writing I wish I could do.
Bravo
--Cadence

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

350 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 31, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2013
Tags: sunset, description, day, night, personal, experience, non-fiction

Author

Peter Regal Whittam
Peter Regal Whittam

Chittagong, Bangladesh



About
Hello, I'm Peter, a hobbyist writer. I have always had an attraction towards what I like to call "text-based art", but my passion for writing did not bloom until recently, and it has been growing ever.. more..

Writing