Broken Plates

Broken Plates

A Story by Quinn W
"

A story of how a parents troubled relationship affected their child's.

"
My mother shattered every plate in our house that day. The day my father left her for a twenty-three-year-old, dyed-blonde, valley girl. He didn't move out until three days later. A dreadful three days. I didn't leave my room or talk to anyone. I was too depressed. They screamed, disputed, even hit each other a few times. The day he left, I heard my mother weeping.

         I stepped into the kitchen in an attempt to comfort her, but she batted me away with her hand. She shouted at me and then ran out the door. I never saw her again. 

         Five days later, I heard a rap at the door. I sprang up, hoping to see my mother, but instead cracked the door to a woman. She presented herself as Nancy. She was a Child Services agent. She had come to put me in her care. Luckily, I was seventeen and only had to stay six months. Then, I went to college. I studied for four years and made it into a journalism career. I wrote for many companies and was quite prosperous. 

         Someone rang my doorbell while I was working on one of my biggest projects. When I unlocked the door, there stood a man.

         "My name is Charles. I just moved in next door. I thought I'd introduce myself," he said.

         "Nice to meet you. Daniella." 

I extended my hand and he took it. I invited him in and brought him a glass of water. There was something different about him. He seemed genuinely happy like there was no care in the world.

         I sat down and we talked for a little while about our occupations. Turned out, he was a journalist as well and was currently working with The Charlotte Gazette. We talked about many things that day. Such as our motivations, our relationship status, and adventures we'd been on. We had both traveled quite a bit. Too soon, he had to leave.

         I sat there for a while. I thought about stupid things, absurd things. I thought about getting married and having children. I had never thought about that until I met Charles. Something about him had flipped a switch in me. Maybe since my family life went awry, I could make another. I contemplated for a while about that. Then, dismissed it completely, thinking I don't have experience with it. In order to raise and have a perfect family, you must've grown up in one.

         Throughout that year, I got to know Charles more. I always relished speaking with him. It didn't matter what we talked about, it was always pleasurable. I noticed my compassion for him soon. I assume he did as well because he offered to take me out to supper a few times. I always told him I was occupied, I needed to work. 

He'd always say "Oh. Maybe some other time then?" 

I'd reply, smiling, "Yes, maybe some other time." 

         I felt sorry every time I said it. I felt sorry for him and myself. I wanted to go out with him, date him. I felt deeply for him but I knew I would break him, just like my dad broke my mom, just like my mom broke those plates, just like my parents broke me. 

         Eventually, he stopped asking. He stopped coming over to converse. I miss our talks, even in my old age I can remember every word he ever spoke to me. I don't regret saying no. I never have. Although, I did mourn never telling him why. He never wedded. He lived next to me all those years and we hadn't spoken since the last time he tried to go to dinner with me.

         I woke up one morning and saw an ambulance approaching his house. Two weeks later, I attended his burial. Only his friends and cousins went. He had no children, no grandchildren. On his casket rested a paper. It said, "Dear Dani" in cursive lettering. Inside was a letter.

Dearest Dani,

         I never married because I have always felt such a strong attachment to you. I always knew you weren't working; I knew it was an excuse. I know you feel the same about me as I do about you. I saw it in your eyes. Others noticed it too. I always got questioned if we were a couple. I had to fight back the urge to say 'yes' every time. I craved you, so greatly. I tried so strenuously to find someone new, but I never did. My sympathies were always with you, no one else. I don't know why you evaded me, but I hope someday when we meet in Heaven, you will tell me.

        

         And I did.

© 2016 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an amazing story! It feels like a true story becuz it's told with so much depth & gut-level honesty. You show the very unfathomable complexities in human nature & how they might come about. This could be my story. I've walked away from many a love becuz I felt so broken from my abusive childhood, I couldn't bear to hurt someone with my buried rage. Here you show how this plays out in a life. The poster child for showing instead of telling. It's amazing how much feeling & compassion you evoke in your reader without going all melodramatic. Just a simply-told story that reaches deep.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Wow. You have done a magnificent job on this story. I loved it. Good luck, continue to write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Thank you!!!
AmandaFuller

7 Years Ago

No problem!
I was captivated by this! Although short, it did not come off as contrived. I was able to reflect back on my personal experiences at each stage of life and relate on some level. I think we all have those "what ifs" throughout our lives that we wonder about. Well done Quinn. And I also agree with the other reviewer that you seem to be a genuinely nice person.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Haha Thank you so much!
I am quite amazed by how few words you needed to tell an entire life story, from childhood until heaven. The last sentence catched my attention even before reading the story, and it made me want to read the story, that was very clever. I really enjoyed it, good work!


Posted 7 Years Ago


Quinn W

7 Years Ago

I read this and I literally can't stop smiling! Thank you so much! Love your work!
Another brick in the wall

7 Years Ago

After just a couple of minutes I have to say, you seem like a truly nice person! I cannot wait to ge.. read more
Quinn W

7 Years Ago

Thank you!!!!! You are so sweet! Can't wait to see what else you write!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2016
Last Updated on December 9, 2016
Tags: Romance, divorce, alone

Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..