My Visit to the Antique Store

My Visit to the Antique Store

A Story by Quinn W
"

True Story

"
I've always felt a connection to the past. Whether it be the Middle Ages, the 1800s, the 20th century, or even just the eighties. I've always dreamed of other times. Simpler times where everyone wasn't focused solely on work or television or celebrities. Times when people had to churn their own butter, milk their own cows, and take care of their children like parents should instead of just putting them in front of a screen to distract them. I guess that's why I like antique shops so much.
There's so much history in those places. A wooden chair might not just be a wooden chair. Someone sat in that chair. Maybe they read stories to their grandchildren in that chair while rocking back and forth, staring out into the open plains, watching the sun go down. A rusty key isn't just a crappy piece of metal. It could have unlocked the door to a couple's first house where they raised their children and made a happy home. You never know what valuable things you can find in those places. It came from somewhere, someone. 
So today, when I walked into an antique store in the very small town of Traveler's Rest, South Carolina, I took in the heavy weight of history. I felt like I was walking around with thousands of ghosts, each wanting to tell their own story. I saw telephones, signs, jewelry, dresses, jackets, pocketknives, toys... but one thing stopped me in my tracks. I was looking through some beautiful metal rings when I looked up and saw them. Hanging precariously on the side of a wooden board where four handsome men and two beautiful women. Their images were captured on slides of tin, left in this shop to wither away. 
A man with brown curly hair, wearing a suit with a black bow tie and shiny leather shoes, standing straight in front of a window. His leather shoes were heeled and he had a pocket watch chain leading down to his right vest pocket. His hands are neatly and softly closed with a delicate appearance. 
Another man, with two women next to him, most likely his wife and daughter. He has a light colored hat on and a big bushy mustache. hands a gently laid on his legs and his feet are crossed at the ankle. His 'wife' is on his right in a white gown with a dark ribbon tied around her waist. Her hand rests lightly on his shoulder and her hat with flowers on its brim tilts slightly to the left. His daughter is seated on some piece of wooden furniture in a dark skirt and blouse. In her left hand, she holds an umbrella or parasol, with its tip on the ground. She's smiling in this photo, obviously happy to be with her family. She too is wearing a hat with flowers.
A boy, maybe in his late teens sits, looking slightly to the left. His ears protrude outwards a little and his straight dark hair is swept neatly to the side. He's wearing a white shirt, and a dark vest and coat. But what strokes me the most about this picture are his eyes.They look so kind and gentle. He's not worried about getting home to play video games. He's content with where he is in that moment. He looks sweet and innocent. 
The last photo I saw, makes me cringe with anger. This photo is so faded you can barely make out the image of a bearded man in a suit. In fact, that's all I can tell you about this last photo. Someone left him all alone for so long that he is literally disappearing, fading away from this world. They decided to sell him to an antique store instead of cherish him. I don't know who he is or what he's done, but he deserves to be loved and treated kindly from now on. I only hope that my love and appreciation for this man who probably sat for hours to have this taken, probably the only photo he has of himself, will bring his image back. That somehow, it will darken again and I will be able to see his face clearly and appreciate him fully.

© 2018 Quinn W


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like how you've taken your visit to the antique shop to share your connection to the past. You have drawn fine portraits of these men and women from the not so distant past and brought them to life. I like your attention to detail particularly with the boy. There are a few details that you might consider. Keep in the present tense and also I think 'where four' should be 'were four'.
Well done for sharing this.
Cheers.
Alan

Posted 5 Years Ago


You have always been a stunningly imaginative writer, but this piece showcases your powerful sense of observation. It’s so important to be a keen observer, if we want to be writers, & your story shows why it makes a huge difference. I also like to tell my vintage stories, plus reading others who tell their vintage stories here. Your second paragraph really sings! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


We have pics from wife's family going back to 1907 > all are now scanned and restored onto CD's
One is a lady in a black dress _ who is she >>> A great Aunt or Grand parent

Also a few pieces of furniture > from both our parents > bits of trinkets


I am now writing about life during WWII > beginning with family leaving the hill farm/ or croft to open a textile mill

Posted 5 Years Ago


wow what an enchanting story. I take it this actually happened. I get the same feeling when i go through antique stores or op shops its so wonderful. I feel exactly the same and you described my feelings as well in your wonderful story.
i love this thanks so much

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2018
Last Updated on June 10, 2018

Author

Quinn W
Quinn W

SC



About
I have always enjoyed reading. It has taught me many things others just can't explain to you. It has also fueled my love of writing. I love writing short stories, they're my creative outlet, Mom would.. more..

Writing
Worthy Worthy

A Poem by Quinn W



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..