ELWOOD PRESCHOOL MAY LOSE ITS HOME 60-CHILD PROGRAM: SCHOOL BOARD DOESN'T RENEW CONTRACT

ELWOOD PRESCHOOL MAY LOSE ITS HOME 60-CHILD PROGRAM: SCHOOL BOARD DOESN'T RENEW CONTRACT

A Story by rafiq
"

The Elwood School Board voted Tuesday not to renew Alling's contract with the district. Since its inception, Alling has rented a classroom from the school to house the Elwood Preschool, a privately f

"
Now school officials say they might not have enough room to accommodate the preschool, which simply consists of a small classroom located across from the first-grade class.

In Alling's preschool, children learn a variety of skills: coloring, shape identification, even some basic math and reading.


Most importantly, parents say, they learn how to interact with other children.


"I feel so bad, for the children and the parents.


This is a service we offer to the community," Alling said.


"If they need the classroom space for the district kids, I can understand that.


But I was 99 percent assured that we'd get the space reserved for next year."


The Elwood Elementary School has no public preschool program, but most of the students go from the preschool into kindergarten there.


Superintendent Greg Sawka said parents shouldn't be searching for a new preschool yet.

"It's a wonderful program, it feeds into the kindergarten, and it's more than adequate preparation for kindergarten," he said.


"Initially, the board voted no because they wanted more information on the space that will be available."

He said the board asked him to prepare a report with information pertaining to the projected enrollment figures, space available in the building and information on whether or not special education preschool-age children would continue to be bused to Channahon or whether it would be cheaper for them to stay in Elwood.


"I think the issue should've been tabled, I don't think they should've just voted no," Alling said.

"I'm totally baffled.


I'm completely stunned by the whole thing."


At the March 17 board meeting, Sawka said the possibility existed that the board could overturn its decision to boot the preschool.


Alling said Sawka has been supportive.

If the preschool closes, there is only one other place in Elwood to house the students, Alling said.


"Because of licensing and fire code, the only place we could have it is the fire department, and that's not going to happen," she said.


"None of the other buildings in Elwood are safe for the kids."


Tuition for the preschool costs $900 a year for the three-day-a-week students and $680 a year for two days a week.


Alling isn't the only one upset by the potential closing -- her students' parents aren't pleased either about having to look for a new preschool.


Valerie Hall's son Ryan has been coming to the Elwood Preschool for three years.


If the school closes, she said she wouldn't bother looking for another school.


"I don't want to have to go all the way to Joliet for preschool, especially in bad weather," she said.

"I know Ryan really enjoys preschool; I wish they would've asked for our opinion before they voted."

 

© 2013 rafiq


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on May 13, 2013
Last Updated on May 13, 2013