Garland

Garland

A Chapter by rainbow-veins

GARLAND


His beady gray eyes were identical to two windows scouting an overcast sky. His silky, straight, brown hair was just like that of his parents'. The mother looked down unto her child's now calm, resting eyes, knowing of the trouble that was to lye ahead and how cautious and aware she would have to become. His father's emerald eyes only gazed down upon a fresh child. His child. Although the newfangled boy had yet to even speak a word, his father already had nothing but love for him.

"What's his name?" the mother questioned, breaking the silence.

The father looked up at her. He silently drew out and recollected the names they had formulated and favored.

"Garland."

---------------------------------------


Fire spread rapidly throughout the land. Arrows and rocks were being catapulted through every opening possible. Swords were being clashed around every corner. There was hardly anywhere to escape. This wasn't war - this was insanity.

A hysteric and panicking father scrambled towards his wife.

"Where's Garland?!" he roared, still in a frenzy.

The wife, whom was also agitated by the turmoil but far more calm, replied, "I sent someone to his trundle. He should be safe in no time."

The father, a little more relieved, nodded his head quickly, and continued his escape.

Coming upon his child's room, he noticed a man face-down on the floor. As he closer approached the body, he discovered a horrifyingly gruesome hazard - an arrow right in the center of his back. The father halted and stared earnestly at the man. He recognized him. He must have been the person his wife had sent to Garland's room. Suddenly, the father heard a noisy cry coming from Garland's room and staggered inside. He was still in his crib. There was a small fire spreading in the corner, and it was swiftly stretching toward Garland's bed. The father ran over, lifted him out of his crib, and maneuvered toward the exit of their home.

Once outside, the father panted and held Garland protectively against his chest. He was becoming lethargic, and was on the verge of blacking out when he realized something. His beloved wife could still be within their home.

The man's mind was racing. What could he do? Where would she be? Is she safe? It was too dangerous to go back in with his toddler, and the place could collapse at any second. The man was hopelessly confined in his own contemplation.

If I don't at least try to save her, I could never live with myself… he thought. But what about Garland…?

He suddenly noticed a near citizen, whom was wearing a cloak. The  concealed figure seemed to be observing the havoc taking place around the castle. Only the knights or the castle's workers would dare be around the castle at a time like this.

Surely this man can be trusted… The father thought. "Sir! Kind sir!" he called out as he quickly paced himself toward the blanketed spectator. "Could you please take care of my child as I search for my wife?"

"Pardon?" he replied.

The father sighed, "My wife is missing, I think she may be trapped in our abode. I just need you to hold my baby for a few minutes. If I don't come back…"

He looked down in sudden despair.

"…then... keep him. His name is Garland."

And with that, the father relinquished his toddler, and bolted back into his home in search of his mate.

The passer-by stood there in dismay.

"How could the king, the all-powerful superior of this kingdom, have been so foolish as to carelessly surrender his child to the enemy?" he said to himself, playfully.

He looked into the dead center of the infant's gray eyes.

"Hello, Garland…" he greeted. The somewhat occult being withdrew it's hood from it's head, revealing it wasn't at all a male, but a female.

"Why, he's but a toddler! They will be most impressed. And not only that…" the lady dramatically exposed a glistening blade from the depths of her cloak.

"But what greater first kill than face-to-face with the king's successor?"

The shifty woman lifted the dagger. She was about to finish him off when she glanced up and noticed the king, his queen, and a dozen knights on their horses racing toward the scene.

One knight quickly bounded off his steed and retrieved the child, handed him to the queen, and took hold of the woman's hands. Another seized the weapon, and held it against the woman's throat. Everyone paused. There was a melodramatic silence.

"I DEMAND IDENTIFICATION AT ONCE!" the king boomed.

"…I'm afraid I am not permitted to reveal that information."

"Permitted by whom?"

"Saying so would require me to break that order."

"Miss, if you do not provide me with your recognition, you will be sentenced to the gallows. Now, tell me your name."

"I will be sent there either way. Is this correct, your majesty?"

More silence.

"That's what I thought," the lady said.

With a brief glare at her, the king quickly changed the subject, "Knights! I command you to haul this woman to the prison immediately!" Looking back down at the lady, he added, "Her execution shall take place in precisely 3 days at noon."

And with that, the royal family and knights rode away stably as 3 others stayed and tied her hands with rope, transported her onto a knight's horse, and proceeded to join them.

"Honey…" the queen started rather worriedly as she rode behind the king.

"Yes, my dear?" the king replied.

"It's not safe enough for him anymore."

The husband almost lost his focus of the road as a reaction to such news. He could hardly recall life before his little Garland, much less was he willing to give him away purposefully. 

The two shared a remorseful silence - occasionally broken by the sounds of their fretting - as they trotted over the valleys of their kingdom.

Meanwhile, a certain toddler's eyes coruscated blissfully as a wispy, purplish glow emitted from his hands.



© 2011 rainbow-veins


Author's Note

rainbow-veins
Just keep in mind that I'm only in 8th grade if there are any grammar mistakes. This is not a complete story yet, but this is what I plan to be the first chapter. Does it seem intriguing so far? Would you read it?

Thank you so much!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Actually the writing is quite good. It is a fact that a good introduction to any work, short or long, together with a flowing and well-framed language charges the reader's attention with expectation. Baby Garland likes moving around but it is also escorted with some mystical powers that always keep watching on it. I think I can see a parody, maybe historical or fictional or simply without any particular purpose. So I would like to find out whether my guess is right. I guess maybe this is going to be an adventure for the sake of discovery, and by uncovering this playful mystery that curtains Garland in name and person it would come out to an end.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I actually was not aiming for this to be a parody of any kind, but your last guess was spot-on! Very constructive comment. thank you very much. C:

Posted 12 Years Ago


Actually the writing is quite good. It is a fact that a good introduction to any work, short or long, together with a flowing and well-framed language charges the reader's attention with expectation. Baby Garland likes moving around but it is also escorted with some mystical powers that always keep watching on it. I think I can see a parody, maybe historical or fictional or simply without any particular purpose. So I would like to find out whether my guess is right. I guess maybe this is going to be an adventure for the sake of discovery, and by uncovering this playful mystery that curtains Garland in name and person it would come out to an end.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2011
Last Updated on November 27, 2011
Tags: garland, powerful, chapter, fantasy


Author

rainbow-veins
rainbow-veins

TARDIS, IL



About
My name is Simmy. I am in the 8th grade and have been aspiring to be an author and illustrator since perhaps the 2nd or 3rd grade. I hope to make it big some day... or even a few bucks wouldn't be too.. more..

Writing