Three

Three

A Chapter by Laraine Davis

Daniel tore his eyes away from me and looked at the dirt beneath our feet. "Babe..." "Don't call  me that." I said, gaining confidence. Maybe I would finally be able to break it off with him. Lucas would be happy. "What?" He asked, his teeth clenching once again. I sighed and let my confidence slip away. I knew I wouldn't be able to do this. Not today. "I just mean...that you shouldn't call me that unless you treat me like your girlfriend. And you don't."

 

It all happened in slow motion. Daniel's face changing from astonishment to confused to anger. He raised his hand, and the veins in his neck pulsed. His hand came cutting through the air so fast that I could hear the air pass by my ear. I felt the slap on my cheek; and my sight went blurry. "Never speak to me like that again, b***h." I heard Daniel's voice say. And then everything went black.

 

Was it hours or minutes before I awoke again? I had no clue. But when I woke up, I was still in the park, lying in the middle of the path. And I was alone. Daniel had abandoned me there when I had blacked out. How could he do such a thing? I stood up and looked around. From the way things had gotten darker I assumed that hours had passed since I had been knocked out.

 

I quickly ran back to where my car was supposed to be and stopped dead in my tracks. My car was gone. I jerked my hand to my back pocket where I had put my keys. They weren't in there. Daniel had stolen my car! "This can't be happening!" I screamed. People walking by gave me funny looks, but I ignored them. I started to panic. Where did he take my car? Where was he now? What would my mom think when I got home without a car?  What would Lucas think?

 

I plopped down on the sidewalk and buried my head in my hands. I dropped my shoulders and let my tears fall down my cheeks and onto the cement. What had I gotten myself into? Why was I even dating Daniel? I knew I didn't love him. He says he loves me, but then why does he do these things to me?? "Excuse me, ma'am, are you alright?" A man's voice asked. I looked up and saw a guy about six feet tall, which was pretty impressive since Daniel was only five feet and eight inches. He wasn't exactly the greatest looking guy alive, but he was kind of cute. Nice brown hair that covered a little bit of his eyes, sky blue eyes, and he was pretty muscular. But not overly masculine, like a bulldozer or something.

 

I wiped the tears off of my face and tried to smile, without success. "Yeah. I'm fine. Well, actually, not really. Kind of, maybe. I guess. I don't know really." I laughed at myself, imagining what I must look like, and how I was talking crazy. He smiled and said, "Well...I might be a stranger and everything, but do you want to talk about it or something?" I smiled back. He looked kind enough, why not tell him my problems? It wasn't like I'd ever meet him again or anything. "Okay. Sit back and buckle in. This might take awhile." He laughed and nodded his head as if to say, carry on. And I did.

 

"Well, it all started last year. I was new at school and didn't know anyone. And so I finally just ended up talking to this girl who was in a couple of my classes. Her name was Pepper, so everyone called me Salt because we hung out all the time. So one day Pepper and I are walking to class when this guy comes up to me and out of the blue asks me to the prom. He was pretty good looking, so I agreed. He smiled and I gave him my number so he could call me and we could talk about all the preparations and things.

 

"So we went to the prom and hung out and had tons of fun. Then, about two weeks later after being really good friends. He admitted that he really liked me and wanted me to be his girlfriend. I said I would, and was so excited about it I ran straight up to Pepper after he asked me and told her about it. But she wasn't as excited as I was. She sat me down and told me that that guy had a really bad reputation of abusing his girlfriends if she didn't do what he wanted her to do. I just rolled my eyes and told her that she was exaggerating, not even taking into mind her warning.

 

"After we had dated for about 6 months, me and him went to this party. And he brought me upstairs to a room, and asked me if I was ready. I told him I wasn't and he was cool with it. So we just sat on the bed and talked about things. Well, after about 20 minutes, he leaned over and kissed me. I was thinking, okay whatever its just kissing, right? Then, he started getting a bit more aggressive, and I wanted to stop, but he held me down and well...yeah. He raped me."

 

The guy gasped. I smiled shyly. I had never told anyone that. Not even Lucas. If he found out he'd just about shoot Daniel in the head. The guy looked deep into my eyes and said  "Did he do that to you?" I tilted my head to the said, "Did what?" He reached up and touch the side of my face. The side where Daniel had previously slapped me. I winced. "Oh...yeah. About three hours ago me and him were here. And he slapped me." He glared at the bruise that I could feel had formed on my face. I looked down at my hands in my lap and said, "He abuses me. It's been a year. And I'm too afraid to do anything about it. I'm scared he'll hurt me even more than he already does."

 

The guy looked away from my face, and stared at a little kid playing in the sandbox. "If he loved you, than he wouldn't hurt you." I nodded, "I know, but he has anger management, and..." "Why are you defending him?" I glanced at him and took in a breath of air. "I don't know...because I love him?" The guy barked a non humorous laugh and said, "Do you?" I thought for a moment and finally realized that I didn't love him. "No. I don't." "Prove it then. But don't prove it to me. Prove it to yourself." I nodded, wanting to get out of this conversation asap.

 

I heard a car drive up and I looked over and nearly toppled over. It was my car! Uh oh. Does that mean that Daniel was in there? He got jealous so easily. If he saw me here with this guy, he would probably punch the crap out of him. I turned toward this guy I didn't even know the name of and said, "You need to leave before he sees you. He gets jealous extremely easily." He laughed. "Oh does he now? Well, lets just see how jealous we can make him." I was so confused. "Wait, what do you mean-" He cut me off as he pressed his lips into mine.

 

My mind screamed. My brain exploded. My body had a spasm. My heart melted. It was the best kiss of my life. I heard the familiar sound of my car door being slammed, and Daniel's voice was yelling my name. But I didn't care. I was lost in this kiss. His lips were so soft. So caring. It was like he was kissing a baby he was so gentle. I let my mind slip into a world of ease. A world where I didn't fear every second of this kiss turning into a harsh push and shove.

 

I felt a hand land sharply on my shoulder, and it tore me away from those lips. Those soft lips of this man I had no clue about. "No..." I whispered softly, where only I and this boy could here. I opened my eyes and saw him smiling. "What the hell, Chelsea?? I am away from you for 15 minutes to get you something from a drug store, and I find you swapping spit with this thing?" "This thing?" I heard the angel lips boy say, as he stood up. Daniel backed up a bit as he took in his height versus his own. I chuckled quietly to myself. "Yeah you heard me." Daniel answered back to him. "I have a name you know. And if you knew anything about manners and respect, you'd ask me that first, and gently shake me hand while saying 'How do you do?'" Daniel laughed and said, "You're right. Where are my manners?" I could tell he was being sarcastic.

 

"So, what is your name?" Daniel asked. "It's Steven. But you can call me Steve." Daniel smirked, "Alright, Steve. How do you do?" He asked, holding out his hand. Steve took it and gave it a good shake, "Good. How about you..." "Daniel." "Right. How are you, Daniel?" I started to panic, they were being so sarcastic it was freaking me out. "I was doing just dandy, Steve, until I came here and saw you making out with my girlfriend!" Steve smiled knowingly and said with ease, "Who said she wants to be your girlfriend?" That stopped Daniel. Instead of talking back to Steve he looked at me and said, "What?" I shrugged my shoulders a bit, not wanting to get in this. "Hey, you're talking to me, not her. Remember; Manners!" Steve said, nudging Daniel's shoulder. "Don't touch me." Daniel said. "Oh, I'm sorry. Why should I listen though? When you apparently don't listen when others tell you not to touch them." The color drained from Daniel's face as the last words of that sentence tumbled out of Steve's mouth.

 

I shook my head back and forth. "Oh no..." I whimpered. "Chelsea, what the hell is this doofus talking about?" I hooked my eyes on Daniel and breathed a couple of times before I answered. "Daniel, he's talking about how you abuse me. And how you raped me last year. Or do you not remember, a*****e?" Just as he was getting the color back in his face, it was wiped clean again. He glared at me, "You b***h, I didn't rape you! You wanted to have sex!" The tears came so quickly it surprised me, but I didn't show it. I jumped up and screamed in Daniel's face, "THAT'S IT! DANIEL I F*****G HATE YOU! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE AGAIN!" I spotted my keys laying loosely in Daniel's hands. I grabbed them and ran to my car as fast as I could. I jumped in, and my hands were shaking so badly I could barely stick the key into the ignition.

 

I turned the key once it was in. It had barely started to turn on before I started backing up. I slammed my foot on the pedal and off I went, leaving Daniel and Steve there at the park. I hoped that that wasn't a terrible decision. I would go back later in secret to make sure Daniel hadn't done anything to him. I closed my eyes for a moment and prayed that Steve would be okay.

 

When I got home and ran inside, my mum was in the living room watching some soap opera. I walked in and sat down on the couch. I laid my head on her lap and began to cry. She didn't even have to say anything, she just put her hand on my head and stroked my hair. I sobbed and sobbed until I had thoroughly wetted her pants and dabbed my mascara on her shirt. I looked up at her and smiled. "You're going to be alright." She said in her thick english accent. I nodded.

 

She knew pain like there was no other. That's why I respected her so much. My father died about three years ago in a car accident. I remember that she was making us macaroni and cheese for dinner and when she placed the three bowls on the table she completely cracked. My mum slumped down on the chair and just cried. My brother and I tried to get her to tell us what was wrong, but she wouldn't say anything. When dad didn't come home that night, we knew what happened. And over time we learned more and more details. Ever since then, she's been like a different woman. But I loved her all the same.

 

I apologized for getting her so wet, but she just laughed and turned back to the TV to finish her soap opera. I laughed too and went upstairs to find Lucas. I spotted him sitting in the hallway. Just sitting there with his head leaning against the wall and his eyes closed. I sat down next to him and stared at him. His blonde hair swept over his face, making him look so delicate. I put my head on his shoulder. He didn't budge. "Are you going to be alright?" He asked after awhile. "I think so. It's not like I'm going to miss him or anything. I just am going to regret not breaking it off sooner." 

 

 

I pulled my head off of his shoulder and looked at him. He opened his eyes and looked back. I smiled, reassuring him that I was going to be okay. And I was. I hoped. Lucas pulled me into a hug, and I hugged him back. “It’s going to be alright.” I said more to myself than to him. I pulled away from the hug, poked him in the stomach, a thing we used to always do when we were kids, and walked to my room.

 

 

 

I sat on my bed and for the rest for the night I listened to my ipod and thought through all the thoughts that were running through my head. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2008 Laraine Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a read! The story line you've got going here is really something that pulls you in. However, I think it has the possibility of being more intense - I think you could make you language more emotive, to pull the reader into the story more fully. This is a good piece of work, I enjoyed reading it. I definately want to know what happens next!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i have read a lot about this ,some women like to be hurt and beaten by the one they love,some say its unnatural like a disease,others says no its out of strong pure love ,they say love in itself,that the woman will be so subservient to her man,and he and love will enjoy some hurt exerted on his beloved but its not the case here,she is beaten so cruelly by a sick guy,this is not love as she says she stands it because she love him ,no this is humiliation,she should never have let it happen from the beginning ,these guys get even more tough if they see a woman hanging to them despite all the pain brought on her.
this is really a nice writing ,yes its deplorable but you put it in a very nice way ,i really loved it,you sure know how to tell a story,wonderful

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a read! The story line you've got going here is really something that pulls you in. However, I think it has the possibility of being more intense - I think you could make you language more emotive, to pull the reader into the story more fully. This is a good piece of work, I enjoyed reading it. I definately want to know what happens next!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 8, 2008
Last Updated on November 3, 2008


Author

Laraine Davis
Laraine Davis

Atlanta, GA



About
I'm Laraine and I incredibly love to write. Recently, I managed to write a novel that was to be 50,000 words long in a month. It took a lot of dedication but I completed it with a immense achieved fee.. more..

Writing
Numbness Numbness

A Chapter by Laraine Davis