Chapter 11: Freedom and glory

Chapter 11: Freedom and glory

A Chapter by J. Marc

      

 

Fulfillment

On January 13th, 1782, the performance of “The Robbers” would take place in the Mannheim Theater. Schiller and Streicher would for this occasion, secretly go to Mannheim. Present during this first performance would be many members of the enlightened circles in this city and also a few friends of Iffland. The success of the play would be immediate and the young Schiller would be completely thrilled by this situation. Success would completely take the young poet in its whirls: at stake was not for his name to acquire glory, but above all, for his friends and the new philosophical trends to make for themselves an important place within the German states.

In February, then, Schiller would publish his „Anthology for the year 1782“, which included the poems he wrote during his staying at the Karlsschule. This anthology was also aimed at challenging Frederick Staudlin’s famous „The Schwabia's Muse Almanac for 1782“. Another significant step for the aspiring writer. At the end of March, together with the help of Johann Wilhelm Petersen and Professor Abel, the first issue of the „The Literature Repertorium of Wurttemberg“ would be printed and distributed.

„The Robbers“ would then be performed in Leipzig, Hamburg and Frankfurt. The call for the partisans of the New World to put it in place, would be made to the enlightened circles and burgers in these cities. The play and its author, against all odds, would become the symbol of this forceful courage toward the improvement of Humanity.

Between May 25th and 29th, Schiller and Streicher would again be present in Mannheim for the performances of „The Robbers“. Schiller's joy would be complete as his dreams to be a writer would be finally fulfilled; however, deep in his heart, as a normal human being, he would also sourly recognize that he, now, was a man who must live and act secretly to live his dream. His homeland, his family, his friends are now away from him, and could not share his success with him. At this moment, however, he would not want to brood about this. He needed a space, a time where he could, finally, live as himself, unhindered in his liveliness and joyfulness. And this time and space, he could only find in Mannheim, away from home, during these secret trips.

 

Hell on earth: the prison of Hohenasperg

It was early in the morning and Schiller was still in his bed when suddenly, loud footsteps were heard on the floor and someone shouting:

            -�"They are coming! Frederick, they are coming! They are here!”

Before Schiller could get out of the bed, the guards were already before him. Frederick Schiller would still dare to proffer menace against them in case they would commit violence against him but then, suddenly, the abrupt and violent arrest would happen. Without saying a word to him, they have seized him by the arms, and as Schiller would still show resistance, two other guards would take him also by his legs.

At the age of 22, he could not believe that he would still experience physical violence from the part of Duke Karl Eugen. During his arrest, he would shout, gesticulate to free himself and kick all around, but, indeed, in vain. The guards were too numerous for him to overcome. The young writer would immediately be brought to Hohenasperg to be thrown, there, into prison.

 



© 2010 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 13, 2010
Last Updated on April 13, 2010


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing