Chapter 8: The society of men

Chapter 8: The society of men

A Chapter by J. Marc



The society of men

Schiller's play, „The annual market“ would, on February 11, 1779, for the anniversary of Duke Karl Eugen be performed in Solitude Castle before an audience made up of the good society in Wurttemberg.

Now, Schiller would progressively and roughly be made aware of the different societies existing in his homeland as well as in the other German nation states. The Pietists, the Quacksalber, the atheist groups, the knightly orders, the enlightened robber-bands as well as the group of scholars named the Illuminati or also the Society of Jesus, would be presented to him and would have, more or less interest to him, but in 1779, the religious decency of his childhood, taught to him by Pastor Moser, entertained by his mother, would still have an essential importance in his psyche.

From his initiation to these societies, he would only remember the cruelty, the physical wounds and the moral deprecation. At such costs should one deserve a membership? How beautiful and friendly, then, would his literature society appear to him: even if it was not made up of the most prominent people in Wurttemberg, even if its members did not always live up to the highest standards of friendship, the members were, above all, incapable of sheer and gratuitous cruelty, so Schiller thinks still in his twentieth year. Why should one mix oneself in these other societies of men, if a better although smaller form of them was totally perfect for him?

This mental disposition of Schiller was, however, already, known by the leaders of the academy, among others, from his godfather Rieger as well as Professor Abel. For Frederick Schiller, then, they would, together, prepare something even more radical for his future. It was perfectly clear to them that Schiller could and must encompass a greater destiny in a greater society rather than to associate himself only in a group of young men.

The intellectual preparedness of Schiller would, then, be sharpened by his professors and his philosophical vagaries also broadened: he must come forward to the enlightened movement already with solid convictions. He must represent the voice of the younger generations with credibility, and his call must, as an order to the older ones, sound clearly to their conscience.



Andreas Streicher: the symbol of freedom

In Stuttgart, Andreas Streicher has stayed, after his majority was declared before the usual age, in another ducal orphanage. He also, was educated, outside Stuttgart, in one of the severe institutions of the Duke even if the orphanage in which he was raised did not have the same reputation as the one in Solitude Castle. This orphanage did not offer any piano lessons, hence, the young Andreas had to go to Stuttgart to continue, together with other music students, his education.

However, these gifted children would, soon, finish their apprenticeship, and in 1776 already, would Andreas Streicher also be dismissed from the orphanage in Stuttgart. Hence, he would seek to better his musical aptitudes through piano practice and composition.

During this time, he would also look without great success or perspectives for work in the villages and cities around Stuttgart. And so it happened that in 1779, he should return to Stuttgart, in order to take further exams in music and composition to allow him to practice his profession in higher levels in the Karlsschule for higher education.





© 2010 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 13, 2010
Last Updated on April 13, 2010


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing