Chapter 4: The literature society

Chapter 4: The literature society

A Chapter by J. Marc



The favorites

It was still the time where Frederick Schiller would still, without naturally wanting it, attract the excessive attention of the Duke to him. The same way as other pupils, he would be considered as a ducal ward in the castle. Dressed with elegant and expensive clothes, these privileged wards would be allowed to circulate in the private quarters of the castle where, usually, the other pupils, or even the soldiers could not enter without extraordinary permission. The other pupils would remain in the white linen uniform and would then consider these chosen ones as the favorites.

These favorites would often be called upon in the private quarters, at the service of the Duke, for his personal use: to recite poems while he was dining, to wait him and his guests and many other services of this kind. These favorites were instructed, to act positively to all the wishes of the Duke and his guests, and as cadets, to fulfill such wishes with diligence and without asking any question. To please constantly the Duke was, then, not only an order, but also be made by the attendants of the school into a subject of competition among the other, envious pupils.

More often, however, these favorites were used, before the ducal guests, as decoration, dressed in red military jacket, with a white wig, silent and standing upright during the whole event, scattered throughout the salons and the halls, as living proofs of the Duke's rank and noble highness.

Early in the morning, they would still have, like the other pupils, to wake up and perform their physical exercises. No further privileges would they have in the morning, as they would be often told that their higher status in the school was totally dependent of the good will of the duke, and could only be lasting for a short period. These wards were told expressly to avoid getting accustomed to this privileged life.

These favorites would, sometimes, remain on duty in the castle, late at night, but had to quickly learn to adapt to their new status, and yet, wake up early in the morning. Many of them would, however, during the classes, in the daytime, sometimes, doze. They had to behave, just like the other normal pupils, during the day, because they were also supposed to have behaved like them during the night.



The educational mission goes further

From 1775, the personal interest of the Duke for Schiller and the other pupils of his age would then significantly decrease. The cause was quite obvious: with the new and renovated buildings, there was more space to accommodate new pupils and students in the academy. The Duke and his attendants have not waited for the new buildings to be finished in order to make new recruits for the Karlsschule Academy. In January of the same year, numerous new pupils, from different ages and backgrounds, would make their entry into the new academy. Besides the children of his own subjects, other pupils from different countries were simply invited to perfect their education in this institution, in order to increase its reputation and fame.

In the following months, pupils like Schiller would be called less often in the ducal salons, and he would then use his time to study the texts of Klopstocks, Machiavelli and ever more Shakespeare. If he would still remember something from the education his father has given him, it was only this principle: only through your study you will earn a living.





© 2010 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

An enjoyable read, not much fun for those chosen as favourites here! Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2010
Last Updated on April 14, 2010


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing