Chapter 14: Under friendlier skies

Chapter 14: Under friendlier skies

A Chapter by J. Marc

 

 

When Charlotte drives Schiller

 

It is the end of November in Mannheim and the winter nights would now require people to gather before the fireplace with tea or warm wine during the long evenings, among small circles of friends. These were the common instances for people to find occasions to warm the heart and sustain the body  from the usually rash and humid winter in Palatinate. The heart would particularly rejoice in finding warmth and enthusiasm from the company of like mind people or at least people with the same interest during these long months where the events for the greater public where rare.

 

Charlotte Kalb would decide to open a small winter salon for her small circle of friends this year as her small son, now, would not any more require her close  supervision during the long nights. Tonight, Dalberg and Schiller would be the only guests in her salon. Her other acquaintances were apparently not yet used to her sense of humor and have preferred to spend a calmer evening somewhere else.

 

However, two articulate and cultured men only for herself was a very satisfying idea for The Kalb. Lavishly lying on her sofa, her hair falling on her bare shoulders, she could really pass for an authentic intellectual who has spent the last decade welcoming the most influential personalities in her salon. After the usual banalities about the latest news about their acquaintances, the three friends would then discuss about their projects for the coming weeks. Dalberg would ever more plan bringing on stage the most fashionable plays about which he has received the most positive critiques in the newspapers, but would still confess that he would rather, first, consider the opinions heard in the various salons in Mannheim before venturing anything. For this purpose, he would very much appreciate the company of the Kalb for his next visits.

 

-        „Would you like to join us, Schiller?“, would then the Kalb rather curiously asked, noticing the lack of interest of her friend for their plan.

-        „No, I would have to work further on my plays this and the following week, I am afraid. Otherwise I would not have anything to deliver to the theater directors. No, thanks! Not this time at least!”, replied Schiller, suddenly concerned with his material situation.

-        „By the way, Schiller. Did you ever try to read one of your work for the Duke of Weimar-Saxony? At least, with him, you would have the assurance that your work would be heard by someone who really understand and appreciate literature! Many young writers have already received his patronage. You should really plan reading your works in Weimar! What do you think about this idea?” would then Charlotte Kalb asking him, not really displeased about her own idea. Would that not be a great occasion to advance your career?, would she then continue with a light and jolly voice.

-        „Indeed, why don't plan to make a visit in Weimar next year? Being acquainted with Duke Charles August would certainly not harm your cause!”, would then Dalberg be adding, supporting his friend's idea.

 

Schiller would find the idea excellent for a few seconds. However, soon afterward he would admit to his two friends that he did not know anyone in the entourage of the Duke and that the same Duke of Weimar-Saxony must already know about his reputation from his relatives in Stuttgart. He would not want risk attracting the anger of such a prominent man for now. Certainly, later on, when his destiny would be more favorable, he would certainly do the trip in Weimar.

 

-        „Die Idea, I must confess, is really charming, however, not really realistic!”, would he then announce to his friends.

 

 



© 2011 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing