Chapter 16: False trail

Chapter 16: False trail

A Chapter by J. Marc

 

 

In Dresden

 

January was always white in Dresden only this time the snow never seems to cease falling, for almost a week now. All the houses were covered with snow and also the streets of the city, despite the arduous work of shoveling of the local authorities. This slowly falling snow, however, gave to this imperial city a peaceful and immaculate impression. The people of Dresden as always, were nowhere to be seen in the numerous streets and places of the city, as soon as the morning rush to fetch food or wood mostly a concern among the population of the citizen part of city was over. Even the palatial quarters appeared all empty, and only in the evening, with the candle lights on, could people trace any human presence in these splendid residences.

All along the banks of the river Elbe, people could see, day by day, the height of the snow increasing. This afternoon, there was no one to be seen on both banks of the river which was, by the way, half frozen. It was neither too cold nor too windy, but people could foresee that wind and snow will again unfurl in full force. Only the movements of some ice plaques could let people warn that this powerful river was still running despite the overall impression of freeze. Schiller, as he was passing before the Frauenkirche from his promenade near the riverbank in direction of the town, saw from afar the dark head of Martin Luther's bronze statue emerging from a stack of snow.

-        Luther must be very cold, thought he, rather amused by the sight of this famous statue half buried under the snow.

Almost at the same time, however, all his childhood memories about his sincere yearnings to become a Lutheran pastor, to help his fellows would come back to him.

-        Where are my dreams now? Where are they now? What happened to my dearest yearnings?

He saw everywhere only a white, spotless, almost virginal surrounding, from which any failure, any  imperfection had no place. The statue of Martin Luther itself seems to be watching over all this quite, harmonious setting. He looked everywhere and saw nothing that could reflect his worries and inner turmoil.

-        My dreams have all gone! They are dead!

Everywhere, Schiller saw only the reflection of his shattered dreams: the majestic Frauenkirche and the statue of Martin Luther, all surrounded by pristine, white snow that gave them a natural but splendid setting.

-        Hmm. Indeed, Luther must be very cold!, remembering his former promises.

He would then almost run away from this place walking towards town. He would also promise himself, never more to walk by the Frauenkirche or this statue. He then felt the cold wind blowing sharply on his face. The cold wind turned suddenly into whirl and started to send the snow flowing in all directions. Schiller would then realize that this was really not a good day for a walk.

 



© 2011 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing