Chapter 25: The national cause

Chapter 25: The national cause

A Chapter by J. Marc

 

 

Fichte

 

When Johann Gottlieb Fichte made his entry into the academic community of Jena University, his reputation as a Kantian has already for long been established. As he took over in spring 1794 the chair of Philosophy which Schmidt has recently left, people expected from him nothing less than a perfect beginning; as he  was one of the very few professors in Jena who has actually studied with the great philosophy professor, Emmanuel Kant.

 

Fichte, the same way as many educated men of his time, came from a pietistic family, where his mother has particularly prepared him to become a pastor. Due to financial difficulty, however, he could not finish this curriculum, and hence, he had to undertake many menial jobs in various places, before he finally met the master, Emmanuel Kant.

 

From his many encounters with the master, Fichte would acquire a sharp knowledge of his philosophy, and would, consequently, take the intellectual world in storm with his first interpretations of the Kantian principles. Besides,  these excellent essays about the philosophy of Kant, would also already earn him among the academic community of Jena, the secret reputation of a radical Jacobin, as he and his wife Johanna would be welcome there.

 

Only a couple of weeks after their arrival in Jena, he would already give the most decisive opinion about his chair and duty as a professor: he wanted to pave, with his philosophy courses, the way, as a guide, to a freer and more harmonious society. He  was also utmost concerned with the role of education in society. A concern which he wanted to actively advance during his tenure. The same way as Schiller in the beginning of his academic career, Fichte would also attract, during his first lectures, more paying students than the auditorium could possibly host. Soon would professors, philosophers and all sorts of intellectuals be present during his lectures.

 

In 1795, the relationships between Fichte and Schiller would have already been closely developed. The author of "Critique of the concept of revelation" and that of "The Robbers" would find so many common interests between themselves, and in a natural manner, would Schiller soon invite and welcome him to the unofficial gathering of his literary circle.

 

To serve the country

 

Schiller enjoys, now, a little more freedom in his movements, and also in his intellectual endeavors. He would then profit from this situation, to write to his friends and acquaintances, in order to extend and maintain friendships. However, above all, his new project as editor would busy him utmost. From this new project, indeed, he expected many intellectual and financial gains. Luckily for him, in this period of new perspectives, has his patron in Denmark just announced to him that his yearly pension would be prolonged for another two years. Hence, he would have enough time, to devote himself to this new activity and many others: besides being the editor of a monthly literary magazine, he would also develop his plan for a national cause and also devote more time to care about his health.



© 2011 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing