It begins

It begins

A Poem by Randa
"

Description of how a loved one finds out he will be going to Iraq

"

I can’t quite remember when it began; it must have been …..when he picked up the phone on that January day a few years ago. That was the beginning of a series of phone calls, two trips to Phillipsburg, and one to Arlington. He didn’t know right away what was going on, yet he did. He knew it was the beginning of a very long journey to Iraq starting with a phone call telling him to fly to Arlington in a few days for paperwork. Paperwork is never just paperwork. It is a mountain of paperwork along with numerous briefings and medical exams after all one must be healthy to be shot at in the desert. He spent two days doing “paperwork.” More was to come. Once I thought, well maybe he’ll stay home….another phone call. And another, and another. He was to have his stuff packed with no date in sight with promises of soon. When exactly is soon? Next week? Next month? Two days from Tuesday? Soon is two weeks. Another phone call telling him to be at the Reserve unit in Phillipsburg for a briefing and out-processing so as he can in-process in Ft. Bragg……that’s when we knew. The orders were for 24 months.

© 2009 Randa


Author's Note

Randa
let know what works and what doesn't.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on November 11, 2009

Author

Randa
Randa

Ansonia, OH



About
I am a student at Indiana University East. I am currently studying English with a minor in Creative Writing. I enjoy writing but there are moments where my writing scares me, because it is the only pl.. more..

Writing
Josh's leave Josh's leave

A Chapter by Randa


Coming Home Coming Home

A Book by Randa


Family Unity Family Unity

A Story by Randa