The Sweetness of Life

The Sweetness of Life

A Poem by Michelle Espinosa


I know you now, amor, I can see you. Soon, maybe seconds, maybe years, but too soon, you will be gone. For we will leave this world. Even were we to go locked in embrace like the skeletal remains of the Verona lovers, like theirs, only our old bones would remain together. We all must die alone. We travel from this world to the next on our own. 

Yet I know, deep in my heart that our separation is illusory. A trick played on the mind caught in worldly ideas of duality. 

Still I am directed by this imperative, love as well and as compassionately as humanly possible. And be always ready to say your goodbyes. Such is the way of life. As we leave we also meet and both are just as sweet.
 

© 2013 Michelle Espinosa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so sad yet so true. How we die alone it's such a terrible reality. The beginning really got to me especially the reference of the Verona lovers. It also made me think of my grandparents how they were always together the only way everyone has ever known them and then my grandfather passed away and to me it seems they are both alone. Very touching, thanks for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

' Still I am directed by this imperative, love as well and as compassionately as humanly possible. And be always ready to say your goodbyes. Such is the way of life. As we leave we also meet and both are just as sweet .'

Mayhaps we're all bakers meant to mix life and love's given ingredients then, to sit back hoping - perhaps praying, to smile - hopefully laugh, in whatever time we've been individually allotted!! To that end, I have both brolly and parasol available.. think perhaps, you do too?!

This poem touches, thank you for gently tossing it in my way, Michelle.

Posted 2 Years Ago


A compelling write. I hope our earthly goodbyes are not goodbye forever. I do believe souls realign somewhere in the ether, at some future time. Thanks for sharing. ~ Robert.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Exception piece.
I am compelled to believe love is everlasting, yet in this world I see it is not to be mastered so we move on, perhaps to higher plains, in hopes of knowing our own forevers and taking better love to meet those we treasure. To me this piece says that and more.

Thanks for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a mesmerizing piece of writing. ...As we are born alone, we die alone, this is the one reality we come to terms with as our age advance. But regardless of what is known to be reality, something inside of us is always telling us that even after our flesh turns to dust, we are going to meet our loved once again. Enjoyed this writing very much Michelle..... "As we leave we also meet and both are just as sweet." Love this line :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


We need to remember that though the world and relationship made here are beautiful, yet we have to quit some day.
You expressed in a straightforward way that we all must die alone and we travel from this world to the next on our own.
Then again,you expressed the other reality: "As we leave we also meet and both are just as sweet."
Awesome write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


aww what a lovely pen you have...

sooo sweet.. very nice write.. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Live in the moment and enjoy every second! I love the way you blend the two worlds together through the recognition of duality. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This prose poem has a burnished, honey-drenched, setting-sun quality.

Spirit is a will and a willingness, poised.

By passion bound, by passion released.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The goodbyes are not so sweet. Hellos keep bringing us smiles till we are old and gray. A beautiful poem. Love, lost and upcoming prepared disappointment. A perfect poem of love.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


Just a note about your profile info, before my little review; This moment IS very precious. It is here now, and will never return. The next will be just as precious. There will never be another like it. And the next moment comes. Reading your profile brought me to want to see some of the things you've written.

On to your piece. Alas, it brings thoughts of a journey we all are bound to take. Life, and death. Passion, love, and the warmth of two bodies -- now bound together, undressed of their skin. Bones, embracing in love. The referral of Verona lovers is an excellent use. I like your style. My opinion? Very nicely done.

Gus

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

1104 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 26, 2009
Last Updated on September 18, 2013

Author

Michelle Espinosa
Michelle Espinosa

nomad



About
Take note: Not much of the material here is proofed and often first drafts. I use this site as a working archive where I return to edit and rewrite and add material. Wayward dreamer and idealist. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse