Zero: naught; nothing

Zero: naught; nothing

A Story by Elizabeth Mars
"

A short fiction story about a teenager struggling with identity and size

"

In my freshman year of high school I was deemed a size zero in woman’s clothing while changing at a small thrift store downtown. At school in the girl’s changing room before track or gym I’d always feel a small swell of pride when girls whom I knew and didn’t know would comment on my size: “Wow your so skinny”, “I wish I was your size”, they would look at me with flushed envy and curiosity at my paper thin skin and delicate doll like bones, “What size are you?”, I would say I was a size zero and their wonderment would continue to flourish.


Sometimes I would stare at myself in the long full length mirror in my bedroom and wonder how I was able to fit my lungs and kidneys and liver and heart and brain into such a small baby bird sized body, I wondered if I was missing something because it seemed so impossible. The next day I told my friend of this and she refused to talk to me for a whole day, I asked her why and she told me to stop bragging.   


The size zero section was fairly small, and clothing I wanted to wear was rather scarce. I looked at my friends with long legs and curves I wished I had and told them of my envy. They looked at each other in surprise and confusion, half heartedly thanked me and under their breath called me a b***h. I spent the rest of the day wondering what I had done wrong.


I was often mistaken for a younger child at the high school, students would talk to me as though I were just a kid of ten, when I would tell them what my age really was they would look at me with widened eyes, mouths open slightly, gaping at the strange creature before them. “Wow you’re really small for thirteen”.


In my sophomore year of high school I became one hundred pounds. Though I was still a size zero in clothing I felt an incredible weight in my legs, I looked into the full length mirror in my bedroom and wondered at the thickness of my legs which jiggled slightly as I walked and spread out thicker when I sat. I looked a bit different, but I was still a size zero.


Over the summer I had grown tall enough to not be mistaken for a girl of ten. My legs slowly lost their magical wonder, girls stopped asking what size I was and how much I weighed, but they stilled envied me enough to keep me pacified with pride.  


In my Junior year of high school I became one hundred and five pounds. I had grown an inch taller over the summer and my features had finally begun to settle into place. I was becoming your everyday regular old teenger, and I hated it. The fairy like magic I had once possessed disintegrated before my very eyes. Everyday I stood in front of my full length mirror and watched in disgust as the fat festered on my skin.  


At school my heart would sink as the minutes in the girl’s locker room would tick by without a word of compliment to the size of my body, but as I stood by the full length mirror in my bedroom I understood the lack of attention my skin gained. I was a normal size.


I spent my summer trying to gain back what I had lost. I needed so desperately to verify myself again, to remind myself that my skin was magical and wondrous. I ran in the mornings, ate little amounts of food and kept a bottle of water on me at all times. I kept hoping to lose more weight, I desperately wanted people to look at me with wonder like they had once done. I wanted so badly to me more than just normal. So I ran more, ate less and slept often.


Over the summer I spent my time at the pool, not really swimming, just watching skinnier, smaller, fairer girls walk float around like fairies. I watched as they lounged around on towels and swam in crystal clear water. One time I saw a women mistake one of the girls for only twelve, the girl laughed and said she was sixteen, and I couldn’t help but feel a fevered envy in my throat. I remember when those comments use to bother me, but now, I wanted nothing more but to be mistake for a girl of ten again.  


One day I ran so hard that I saw sparks in my vision.


Bright flashes of light and color danced like fireworks in my eyes. My eyes grew heavy and my head grew dim, and I closed my eyes for only a moment and the fireworks ceased to exist. I felt like I was floating, just like a fairy.  


I woke up in a white room, wearing a white gown. The smell of artificial cleaning and steril metal tickled my nose. My eyes caught a glimpse of a small girl in the reflection of a window that sat next to me. The small girl’s eyes were circled with dark shadows and her collar bones protruded off her skin. We smiled. At last, a size zero again.      

© 2017 Elizabeth Mars


Author's Note

Elizabeth Mars
The point of the story is to jump around and move quickly over the course of a long period of time, however since I didn't add clear transitions I don't know if it moves too fast or even too slow. Feel free to let me know any changes you think I should make to my writing :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Greetings Elizabeth You've captivating delivery of a truly deeply personal/ public / realistic revelations was very creative, original also to me, Be what you choose, love who you are, choose what you want to listen etc Thanks for sharing your gifted creativity for enjoyed reading Happy New Year 2018 Success and beyond dreams and immigration

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading! I'm flattered by your comment, and I hope you have a good 2018 as well :)
Jason Baptiste

6 Years Ago

Thanks was honored pleasured enjoyed to read you're welcome



Reviews

I haven't read a story like this before, I really like the way you have captured a point of view that many don't understand or even have to consider in their lives. If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be hypocritical but I will give it you anyway, have more confidence in what you write. This is a piece of work that is something to be proud of. I look forward to reading to reading more of your work

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

Awh :) geeze your too sweet and I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, thanks for reading!
I enjoyed this story very much. I'm afraid though I didn't understand something in the last paragraph. I didn't understand artificial cleaning (what?) and stril needs an"e "on the end. Hope this isn't nit picking. Enjoyed the story.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

Not nit picking at all! Thank you for pointing out the "e" to me, sometimes things just slip my mind.. read more
This is one of the best stories I've read in a long time here. I love realistic stories & yours is very well-told to convey the smugness & desperation mingled. I am literally stunned that (at your age -- I'm sorry I have to say it) you can express yourself with such amazing clarity & self-honesty. Wow! It's really amazing that you don't have an ounce of self-hatred & it doesn't come across like you're so snooty about it. Your vulnerability is what keeps this from sounding pat & smug. It's a wondrous blend of admitting your pride & also letting us see the struggle deep inside. There is no need to do the transitions thingy here, as your story flows perfectly over the years.

Paragraph 9 starts: "I spent my summer trying to gain back what I had lost." -- this isn't entirely clear at first, becuz you're talking about losing weight, but here you say "gain back" . . . I get what you mean, but it could be stated in different terms that are not the same as losing & gaining weight, if you know what I mean.

I am very much looking forward to you posting more stuff here. Get with it, woman! *smile* Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! Also you are too kind, I'm so touched you like.. read more
janthsull53

6 Years Ago

glad to help and be helped
Great writing kudos to you Elisabeth.
Bulimia and anorexia are always something which concern me.
The need to adopt the image to go pressurises young contempory females



Posted 6 Years Ago


Smoking Man

6 Years Ago

I've written so many articles and poems on this subject matter.
Society pressurises young gir.. read more
Elizabeth Mars

6 Years Ago

Wow you really know a lot on the subject! I'm really impressed! I completely agree with what you hav.. read more
Smoking Man

6 Years Ago

Great to read your positive comments Elisabeth,I look forward to sharing my writing with you.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

781 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on October 15, 2017
Last Updated on October 15, 2017
Tags: anorexia, teenager, size

Author

Elizabeth Mars
Elizabeth Mars

PA



About
Aspiring writer :) leave feedback and let me know what I can do better xoxo. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..