Scheffey's 21st

Scheffey's 21st

A Chapter by Real College Life
"

First chapter of my book about my college experience. All true events but the names have been changed. I am a female and the chapter is written in first person.

"

Scheffey’s 21st

 

Let me start out by saying that I have never regretted how I handled a situation more than I did that first night of college. I was such an idiot. In my defense however, I was pretty scared and I was the only one that stepped up to deal with the situation. I kept getting more and more lost in my lies that I couldn’t even remember what I had said 5 minutes before.  Why I was the one left in charge of making up an excuse is still a total mystery to me. Especially because to this day I still get made fun of for being so stupid that night.

My friend Kayla and I got invited to a party on the first day of college by one of the most attractive guys at school. I had been introduced to Nick over the summer by my friend Rachel who knew him through basketball camp. Nick had a thing for my friend Kayla and by that I mean he had a thing for my friend Kayla’s a*s. The party was at his apartment and it was for his roommate’s 21st birthday. Kayla and I showed up a lot later than everyone else because I had to have dinner with my parents that night. When we showed up the room was filled with about six or seven guys all dressed in USB basketball attire and one girl also wearing a basketball shirt. We walked in, sat on the couch and the boys brought us a couple of beers. They were all watching a Kevin Hart stand up that was coming from the Xbox. I remember thinking to myself “What kind of 21st birthday is this?” I later found out that all these boys could do was basketball and all they could think about was basketball, and that before watching Kevin Hart they were watching a basketball game that they had recorded from the spring.

After the comedy show ended a tall guy named Alex who I had also been introduced to by my friend Rachel got up and announced that he was tired and was heading out. Alex also happened to be mine and Kayla’s freshman mentor so this party had been pretty awkward the whole time. We didn’t know anyone and watching TV with people you don’t know is one of the most awkward things in this already uncomfortable life. Everyone sort of followed Alex out the door and they all decided to leave at the same time. This is where the night took an exciting turn.

It turns out Alex and the rest of the boys had been there drinking for a long time and they were slightly… wasted.

“Bro how much would you give me if I jump from this rail into the pool?” asked Alex. Nick’s apartment was on the second story of the apartment complex and the pool was directly under it.

The question was asked to Nick’s crippled roommate Scheffey. His first name is Ryan but he just had one of those last names that was sort of a given nickname and everyone just knew him that way. He had torn his ACL in their previous basketball season and was still on crutches.

“Alex that’s nothing, as soon as my leg heals I will be doing backflips off this b***h!”

And with that encouragement Alex canon balled straight into the pool. Alex is 6’5” and the splash from his jump was not in anyway quiet.

“Shut the f**k up! You b*****s! It is one in the morning and it is a Monday night! What apartment did you come out of? “

“Um… I don’t know, like 77 I think?”

We couldn’t see who it was because the yelling came from the apartment directly under Nick’s but this lady was pissed. The boys sprinted out of the apartment and Kayla and I decided that since we had been drinking it was best to get back inside the apartment and wait for crazy lady to calm down before we headed back to our dorm.

After five or ten minutes we decided to head home, we walked downstairs and headed for the gate towards our car that was parked in the Costco parking lot across the street.

“Hold up! What apartment did you come from?”

I looked over at Kayla. She looked like she had just had her name called for the Hunger Games. There was no way she was getting us out of this one. I looked at the scary lady dressed in pajamas and the fat guy standing next to her and mumbled out that we came out of apartment 77.

“You two are staying here until the cops show up. How old are you anyway?”

Had we been smart we would have just kept walking to our car and left, but no, we were freshmen. It’s not like we had done anything wrong, that she knew about anyway, and there was nothing legally bounding us to stay. She wasn’t a cop, so we didn’t have to listen to her. These are all things I learned as college went along but since it was my first day away from home I was still used to listening to adults. Stupid.

“Um… eighteen.”

“Eighteen!? Who was your friend that jumped in the pool?”

“His name is Alex.”

“I saw bottles. He had alcohol with him. The cops are going to love this underage drinking.”

“Alex is not underage. He is 25.”

“Oh, so he is supplying alcohol to minors? What is a 25 year old doing hanging out with 18 year olds?”

I was panicking. Every time I opened my mouth I made this s**t worst.

“What’s his last name?”

I looked at Kayla and realized that again, she would be no help. I didn’t want to give him away so I said the first thing I could think of.

“Um… we… don’t know…” I looked back at Kayla and she had this puzzled look on here face. In all honesty I had no idea where I was going with this either.

“What? You are hanging out with boys you don’t know?”

“A friend of mine introduced me to him. It’s our first day in the city, our friend invited us here and when we saw that they were drinking we left. We were there for maybe ten minutes.”

“What school do you go to?”

“St. Bernard”

“Does Alex go there too?”

“Um… no, he goes to U of H.”

That was a lie, an unnecessary lie. My story was getting more and more unbelievable and I was getting incredibly lost. Kayla noticed this and began to pitch in.

“Look lady, I’m sorry he woke you but we don’t know him. We have no way of contacting him and we can’t help you.”

“You don’t have his phone number? How stupid can you be? Do you two realize how dangerous what you did tonight is. Call your friend and get me Alex’s phone number. Then we will let you to go.”

We had Alex’s number, but we were freshmen and didn’t want to be labeled as rats. I called Nick who had no idea what was going on because him and his two roommates were getting ready for bed.

“Hey it’s me, there is a lady outside your apartment that won’t let us go unless we give her Alex’s phone number.”

“Just leave, she can’t keep you there.”

“She called the cops.”

“F**k. Scheffey and Jake will come down. Just get in your car and leave.”

“Alright I’ll tell her. Thanks.” I pretended to have had a conversation with Nick about Alex so the lady thought we were cooperating.

“He won’t give me the number. He doesn’t want to rat out his friend.”

Before she could answer the gate opened and Scheffey and Jake came out wearing their basketball shirts.

“You two, come over here.”

The two of them came over and were about to say something before they were interrupted.

“USB basketball, huh? I’m a reporter. I know your coach. He will be hearing for me, who knows maybe I will even write a story about it.”

We were fucked. The second they heard that both of their faces turned completely white. I thought Kayla was going to cry. She played volleyball for the school and had practice at 8 in the morning the next day. Her roommate was so pissed about her being out so late that she had been calling her every five minutes and had threaten to tell her coach she was out past curfew. Kayla was sure that if this reported decided to write the story she would figure out who she was and would write about her too, This could get her kicked off the team, or worst, get her extra conditioning.

“We don’t know these girls. Sorry.” Said Scheffey.

A*****e. Kayla and I were pissed. They walked away to Jake’s truck that was parked at the Costco parking lot. They drove away right as the cops pulled up. S**t.

The cop and the lady talked for a while and we saw Scheffey and Jake pulling back into the parking lot. Scheffey got out of the car and walked to where the cops were.

“Is everything alright officer?”

“Yeah we are just going in to check the apartment building, Ma’am can you tell us what happened and show us where this happened?”

“Sure, lets go in.” She said.

Scheffey went in through the gate with the lady, the old man, and the cops leaving Kayla and I outside by ourselves. What happened next is something that I will never forget.

Without a word Kayla and I both looked at each other and took off running toward the parking lot. We ran across the street and hurdled over the bushes onto the parking lot. We didn’t want to take Kayla’s car because we didn’t want the cops to write the license plate down. We decided to get into Jake’s truck instead. The cars were parked next to each other and Jake was already in the driver’s seat so this would make a way better get away car.

“Oh, s**t! Y’all scared me! Why are you in my car?”

“Drive! Drive! We ran away from the cops, we gotta go!” Screamed Kayla.

“F**k, I’m your get away car? I’m only 20 and I’m drunk. If the cops pull us over we’re fucked.”

“Then we better hurry and get away from here.”

And with this Jake pulled out of the parking lot while opening a bag of Cheetos he said had been sitting on his dashboard for two months.

When we pulled out of the parking lot we saw Scheffey wobbling on his crutches through the gate with the old lady following behind, no sign of the cops though.

“We can’t leave him. We have to pick him up. Open the door as soon as we get to the entrance so he can get in.” Said Jake.

Scheffey knew what we were doing and he quickly got off his crutches and hopped to the car. He threw his crutches in the bed of the truck and hopped through the door.

The lady saw this and ran back inside to get the cops, but we were long gone before they could come out.

“What a b***h. The cops didn’t even care and she kept insisting that she wanted to press charges. We can’t go back tonight Jake. We can stay with Leticia at Rice.” Said Scheffey completely out of breath.

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Things I Learned

 

1.     People in college only watch out for themselves. (Be selfish to avoid getting arrested)

2.     You don’t have to do anything unless the cop tells you to do it.

3.     The neighbor’s don’t like it when you party at their apartment complex on a Monday night. (Weekday adventures will be a reoccurring theme in this book)

4.     Cheetos help you avoid DUIs. (You’re Welcome)

 

 



© 2013 Real College Life


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Author's Note

Real College Life
Did you find it funny and do you have any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love it. College experiences are always entertaining. It's that time of life when you're learning about life and growing into the adult you will eventually be, but there are so many awkward moments along the way. Good job of capturing one of those moments and sharing. Can't wait for more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Love it. College experiences are always entertaining. It's that time of life when you're learning about life and growing into the adult you will eventually be, but there are so many awkward moments along the way. Good job of capturing one of those moments and sharing. Can't wait for more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013
Tags: funny, humor, life, real, true story, college, freshman, book, chapter, beer, drinking, party, young, fun, random, bad, running, comedy, houston, basketball, cool, university, secret


Author

Real College Life
Real College Life

Houston, TX



About
I am a female college student. I am currently working on a book made up of several short stories about my college experience. The book is a comedy. I am looking for feedback so I am posting a chapter .. more..

Writing