Beckett freakin' Kane

Beckett freakin' Kane

A Story by CrumbsInMyBed
"

From a contest, starting the story with... "She/He was there, standing in the doorframe, scars and new cuts covered his body, he glared at me..."

"
She was there, standing in the doorframe, scars and new cuts covered her body, she glared at me; her grey eyes filled with rage. She'd obviously put up one hell of a fight to get to me. Her blue dress sported holes exposing the small lacerations on her skin. The heat from her anger radiated off her body, filling the room.

I expected her to be angry but I figured her worry and grief would outweigh her desire to knock me around. Boy, was I wrong.

"I've missed you," I tried with a cocky grin.

She marched over to where I kneeled helplessly chained to the wall by my wrists and placed her hand under my chin, pulling my face up to look at her. The glare continued to bore into me as we held each others stare. I had to blink rapidly when the blood started to trickle down the gash on my forehead into my eyes.

"I've missed you too, you b*****d," she finally let her face relax and began to inspect my injuries. "You've gotten yourself into quite a mess, Beck."

"Good thing I have you to fix it for me"

She ignored me and began working on the cuffs around my wrists. I saw her eyes turn violet as she channeled her magic into breaking the chains. She cursed under her breath when they failed to open and began trying another spell. When that try flopped too, she looked at me with panic, her eyes back to that beautiful misty grey.

"I haven't just been sitting here for fun, love" I sighed, "I've tried every spell I could think of. They seem to be warded against our powers. You'll just have to do it the old fashion way."

The anger was back in her eyes as she pulled pins out of her mass of curly black hair. She began using them to pick the locks on the chains, freeing me from my prison. She pushed away from me as I rubbed my wrists where the iron bonds had been cutting into my skin. I summoned a ball of green lightning into my palm just to be certain my powers were still usable.

Glancing up, I saw her walking away and up the stairs out of my cell. Her hips swaying gracefully in her blue floor length dress. Pushing myself off the floor, I chased after her.

"Mari," I caught her elbow in my hand; she jerked away. "Marigold, please, look at me."

"I thought you were dead! My heart shattered, Beck." She choked back a sob. "I shattered."

I stared at her in shock, not realizing she'd ever cared that much. We'd been working together for years and despite the flame I carried for her, she'd always made it clear that there was nothing between us and would never be. Now the look on her face seemed as if she'd been wrong by her lover; betrayed by her heart.

"I don't know if you're aware of this," she continued in on me, red sparks teasing her fingertips, "but I was knocked unconscious during battle. When I woke, Ana told me that you had surrendered to Azrul. You let him take you! You gave up! You abandoned us to be a prisoner to the darkest sorcerer to ever walk this earth! How could you! How could you put me, put us, through that pain and wondering."

I opened my mouth to speak and immediately shut it again as she poked her finger into my chest.

"You always have to underestimate yourself and our coven, don't you? You are Beckett freakin' Kane, the most powerful source of magic to ever be chosen to fight the darkness and yet you have no faith! In yourself or in your people! You just gave yourself up!"

"For you," I shouted putting my face in hers; our noses nearly touching.

Her body swayed as if those two words were a huge gust of wind pushing against her. She stared at me in silence. Those gorgeous grey eyes welling up with tears and a realization that the story she received wasn't the full truth.

"Azrul was going to kill you, Mari. I couldn't allow that. He said he'd spare you if I surrendered and left with him," I could feel the tears threatening the edges of my eyes now. "He said he wasn't going to kill me."

"Why?"

"He wants my magic. He thinks it'll make him some super overlord, I guess. His lackeys poked and prodded at me. Doing spell after spell trying to extract my powers to give to Azrul. Obviously it hasn't worked," I snapped my fingers sending up a burst of fire then pulling it back in.

"No, Beck, why did you sacrifice yourself for me?"

"My world wouldn't be right without you in it."

"Why?"

I rubbed my hands over my close cut brown hair and sighed deeply, "Well, I kind of love you. You know, a little bit."

She threw herself at me, crushing her mouth against mine. I braced myself against the wall as much to keep from passing out at from the thrill of finally getting to taste those full lips as to keep us from falling backwards down the stairs. Once I knew we were good and safe from tumbling down, I put my whole self into the kiss.

Grabbing her waist, I jerked her hips into mine and pressed my lips hard against hers. I ran my tongue across her bottom lip until she parted and met mine with her own. It felt as if a current was running through my body; a buzzing in my ears and a tingle in my veins. I sure as well wasn't going to be the one to break this connection.

She put her hand against my chest and slowly pushed herself away. I whimpered a little and nipped at her bottom lip, letting her know I was not ready for it to end. She smiled up at me and my heart stuttered at her stare.
"I may just kind of love you a little bit too," she chuckled.

"Now that we've settled that," I smirked then kissed the top of her head, breathing in the lavender scent of her hair, "let's go kill ourselves a sorcerer."

 
 

© 2016 CrumbsInMyBed


Author's Note

CrumbsInMyBed
When I write short stories, I never start from where the beginning would be. I like to give just a snippet into the lives of the characters so if I feel like adding onto it later, I have room on both ends.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Its a good story. As far as starting in the middle without giving background, you did it in a way that it worked well. The reader is able to put the pieces together with the information and details that are given in the story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Excellent story, and while I'm much more in tune with the angsty side of longing than the blossoming part of love, this was well written. Most people try to overdo it, but you didn't try to draw out the explanation of what they felt. We've all felt that moment when love is admitted by both parties, and you captured it fantastically. Bravo

Posted 7 Years Ago


Think you ended and started in the right places and gave enough back story. It's a great short story, with enough intrigue to keep it going for future installments, but also stands well alone.
Do you like suggestions for improvement?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Glad to hear it was helpful. There are a few other places with similar bumps. Not to say I don't e.. read more
CrumbsInMyBed

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I understand what you are saying as I've read published novels before th.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Excellent, I feel the same way about constructive feedback! Here to read, share, learn and help o.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ana
If you don't write a book what will I DO with myself??? You know the Mortal Instruments books? I was reminded of those, and those books are really good and popular, and i think this would fit into that category perfectly. You need to publish this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


CrumbsInMyBed

7 Years Ago

By the way, thank you for the review!
Ana

7 Years Ago

I love Infernal Devices and I totally prefer them too! They were so amazing (can't help but fangirl .. read more
CrumbsInMyBed

7 Years Ago

No worries, I fangirl over those too. I'm way too old to fangirl but I can't stop myself.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

411 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016