The Third Month

The Third Month

A Stage Play by Spencer Halliday
"

This is my first attempt at a scene outside of an assignment. I would really appreciate helpful criticism.

"

The stage is empty except for one chair occupied by CASEY. She is hunched over with her head in her hands as though she has been crying. CONNOR walks in hesitantly, eyes on CASEY. She looks up; when she sees him her face hardens. She stands up and crosses her arms. CONNOR’s face falls.

 

CASEY

(Bitterly)

What do you want Connor?

 

CONNOR

(Sighs)

Casey…

 

CONNOR moves toward CASEY. CASEY backs away.

 

CASEY

Why are you here?

 

CONNOR

I just needed to see you.

 

CASEY

Leave me alone!

 

CASEY pushes past CONNOR and sits back in her chair

 

CONNOR

I’m sorry Casey, I didn’t mean…

 

CASEY

Just don’t Connor.

 

CONNOR

It’s been almost three months, I want to talk to you. You wouldn’t answer my calls…

 

CASEY

Ever thought there might be a reason why?

 

CONNOR

Casey, please…

 

CASEY

I said leave me alone Connor, three months isn’t enough for what you did.

 

CONNOR

I didn’t…

 

CASEY

Didn’t what? You didn’t mean to kill Shelby?

 

CONNOR

I didn’t, Casey, you have to believe me! You know I didn’t mean to, right?

 

CASEY holds CONNOR’s gaze for a moment, then breaks and looks at the ground

 

CASEY

I don’t know. I just… I don’t know.

 

 

CONNOR

(Pleading)

Listen to yourself Casey. I would never hurt Shelby!

 

CASEY

(Stands up, angrily)

But you did, Connor, that’s just it.

 

CONNOR

And I will never forgive myself for it. Please, I need you Casey.

 

CASEY

No! That’s not fair, I can’t do this! Don’t do this to me Connor!

 

CONNOR

Casey, please…

 

CASEY

Connor, you hit my best friend with your car! You killed her!

 

CONNOR

Don’t say it like that…

 

CASEY

(Yelling)

Shelby is dead because of you!

 

There is a pause. CONNOR looks at his feet, CASEY shakes with small sobs.

 

 

CONNOR

Casey… I’m sorry.

 

                                      CASEY throws herself at CONNOR and pounds                                         his chest with her fists

 

CASEY

(Yelling and crying)

You took away my best friend in the world! You can’t just apologize and make everything better! You have no right! I hate you! I hate you!

 

CASEY collapses against CONNOR’s chest, CONNOR holds her there

 

CASEY

(Crying)

I hate you Connor. I will never forgive you.

 

CONNOR

Please, don’t say that. I know what I did was terrible, but it was an accident.

 

CASEY

(Pushing away from CONNOR, coldly)

Was it?

 

CONNOR

(Astonished and hurt)

What? You think I tried to…

 

CASEY

You never liked her.

 

CONNOR

Well I mean we fought sometimes, but I didn’t hate her. And even if I did, I would never do this to her. To anybody!

 

CASEY

She was trying to break us up…

 

CONNOR

Casey, I’m telling you, this was an accident! You know I’m no good at stick-shift!

(Smiles sadly)

Remember our first date?

 

CASEY

Stop. Don’t you dare talk about us. We are over Connor, there is no way I would ever be with you anymore.

 

CONNOR

Casey…

 

CASEY

Is that all you can say? Why did you even come here?

 

CONNOR

(Looks away)

I came to say I’m sorry.

 

CASEY

Well telling me you’re sorry won’t do any good.

 

CONNOR

I don’t know what else to do.

 

CASEY

Nothing! You can’t do anything! You’re a monster, and you took away Shelby. She was my best friend!

 

CONNOR

She was my sister!

(Pause)

Or had you forgotten? You weren’t the only person in Shelby’s life. You say I ran her down on purpose? That I hated her? I loved her!

 

CASEY starts crying again, CONNOR starts yelling

 

CONNOR

You have no idea how important she was to me! When I saw her on the street, my heart stopped. I couldn’t breathe. Do you know how many times I’ve visited her grave? How many scenarios I’ve played out in my head of things I could’ve done to stop this? When she died, I died too. Now everybody hates me. My parents. My brother won’t even talk to me. My own brother! I just need someone to… I don’t even know.

 

CASEY

(Anger draining)

I’m sorry Connor, I just can’t be that person.

 

CONNOR

I know that. I’m sorry Casey.

(Turns to leave)

 

CASEY

Wait.

 

 

 

CONNOR

(Stops)

Yeah?

 

CASEY

I know you didn’t mean to kill her.

 

CONNOR

Thank you.

(Pause)

So where does this leave us?

 

CASEY

I don’t know. Nowhere for a while. But, maybe next year or so we’ll start, you know, saying hi in the hallways or something.

 

CONNOR turns and walks slowly back toward CASEY

 

CASEY

Then we’ll start talking at lunch maybe. I don’t know how long we’ll be doing that. But after a while we might be... friends?

 

CONNOR

You know we’ll always have this between us?

 

CASEY

I think it’s worth a shot.

 

                                      CONNOR and CASEY hug each other

 

CONNOR

Me too… It’s gonna be a long year.

© 2012 Spencer Halliday


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good job! You surely have the potential to do even better. . :) Keep it up and thanks for sharing. .

Posted 11 Years Ago


This was very well written. I'd like to know more about Connor and Casey's relationship before Shelby died. It seems like it would make an interesting story to read. I'm not much interested in after thought, but that's probably because I'm living that scenario already.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow this was so sad, and filled with emotion. I loved connors little monologue, didn't see that coming and I loved Casey's reaction. Nice work

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2012
Last Updated on May 14, 2012
Tags: Death, Car Accident, Family, Friends, Fight

Author

Spencer Halliday
Spencer Halliday

Chandler, AZ



About
I am an aspiring writer, currently a junior in high school. I've been writing stories since I was a kid, and hope to someday be a published author. I am a hard core Christian. I love my God, my fam.. more..

Writing