Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Westminster Abbey
"

Grace's death - prologue

"

Scared is an understatement. I am terrified, yet I remain strangely calm. I do not struggle; I do not try to yell. My hands are tied and my mouth gagged, so it’s not like doing so would do any good. Sweat runs down the side of my face, and tears threaten to spill from my fearful eyes. I can feel the poison tearing at my insides, destroying me from the inside-out.

I’ve heard that, at the moment of a person’s death, their life flashes before their eyes. Such is not the case for me. I prefer to leave my past in the past; I’ve been through a lot, although the past few years have been particularly gruesome… I must stop this. I must not think about my past. What matters is the now, albeit that isn’t the best thing to think about either.

I am tied to a chair in a dark room. I don’t know where I am, but I am in a secluded area. There is a small window to my left, but the curtains are always drawn. To my right is a water closet, which I am not allowed to use. If I need to use the restroom, I must go where I am. The only time I am allowed out of my chair is when my foster dad forces me to work.  It’s different work every day, whatever is needed to be done. Most of the time it’s simple chores - doing the dishes, taking out the trash, taking care of the indoor garden - but the pain makes it unbearable. Every day, twice a day, dawn and dusk, I am force-fed poison. I do not know what kind of acid it is, but whatever it is does a lot of damage. At first, it felt like my hands were burning, then they went numb. After that, I started bleeding out of my rectum, followed by small chunks of organs. The pain is insufferable. At the moment, I feel like I want to die.

I tried killing myself once, when I was younger. I deliberated for days the best way to do it. I could shoot myself, hang myself, or poison myself �" now I’m glad I never chose that option. I finally decided that I would slit my throat. I took the knife that I used so often to cut myself with. I had my note ready. I had everything set up just the way I wanted it. But at the last second, just as the knife was getting ready to tear at my throat, I fainted. I don’t know why I fainted, and, at the moment, I don’t remember when I came to. All I remember is music.

My thoughts are interrupted by a growl in my stomach. I am so hungry. I am given very little food, and it’s starting to show. My ribs are clearly visible, making my pelvis noticeable. I am only given enough water to survive, not that I want to. At this point, I don’t care if I live or not. I’d rather go to hell than suffer through another minute of this.

Somewhere in the building, I hear a door burst open, the front door. I am filled with more fear than before. I hope - beyond all hope - that someone has come to rescue me, the police perhaps. My hope is soon extinguished as I see my foster dad come up the stairs, obviously drunk. My eyes fill with tears of fear, but I do not cry.

I am lightheaded and very weak from lack of water and food; the poison takes an even bigger toll.

 I gasp in a mixture of shock and fear as I see what he is holding. A gun. This is the end. It must be. He is going to shoot me and end my life. He stumbles over to me and points the gun at my head. This isn’t how I want to die. This isn’t how it’s supposed to be. I shake my head and close my eyes as tight as I can.

A shot fires. I feel no pain. My eyes open. Someone is lying on the ground. I hear a scream. I realize the scream came from me. I see my foster dad dead on the floor. I want to take my eyes off of him, but I can’t. Using all of my strength, I throw my body sideways, tossing the chair over; I am now looking right in his eyes. Why can’t I remember his name?

My strength gone, my eyes begin to close. I force them open once again. Every time I close them, I’m not sure if I’ll wake once again. But I’m so tired, I just want to sleep. No. I can’t do this. I force myself to grab the Swiss-army knife out of his back pocket and start to cut at the ropes that hold me to my chair. It takes me a while since my hands have gone numb. Once I am free, I stand up. My knees buckle under me, and I fall to the ground again. I am unable to walk or even stand, so I pull myself to the bathroom. After a good vomiting, I lie down on the bathroom floor. The cool tile feels good against my hot face. My eyes begin to close again, but, yet again, I force them back open. Stay strong, I remind myself. Part of me just wants to give up and die, and so I close my eyes, allowing the darkness to overtake me.



© 2012 Westminster Abbey


Author's Note

Westminster Abbey
Prologue! Yay! Chapter 1 will be up very soon, I promise! Meanwhile, what do you think of her death? Btw, the main chracter's name is Grace.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with krista, I thought that it was super intense. Thank you for posting :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holy crap! Super intense!! I can't wait to read the next chapter!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


What a gripping and tense beginning to a story! I look forward to the rest.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I adore this so much, yet i am so sad about this book and this character. You created a heartbreaking picture that may get any reader to cry. Grace seems very strong, and the pain was so vivid that i wanted to cry. Love this

Posted 11 Years Ago


Omg!! I cant wait to find out what happens next. I at first was a little grossed out but I wanted to read more!! I was so good. You balanced this out so well. I really cant wait to read more so that is what I am going to do as they come out. 100/100 Great write!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


:O I love this!!!! It seems like a very interesting chapter and I cant wait to read more!! This is wonderful, it flows and leaves the reader wanting to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow! This is very good! I love how you describe everything in a style that just seems to flow perfectly. Not many mistakes, that I could see. This looks like an interesting story. Can't wait to read the next chapter! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


OMG!! That was so scary in order of death! :O
Liked it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


WOAHH
AWESOME
ABBEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

"goes off to the first chapter"

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow...intense is the word that comes to mind...the rate at which you dole out the tension is almost unbearable :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

746 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 23, 2012
Last Updated on December 23, 2012
Tags: prologue, grace, death, murder, poison, acid, foster, dad, sick


Author

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

Wishing I could get out, OK



About
123Friendster.com - More Be Yourself Comments My name is Abbey, that's with an 'e,' like Abbey Road or Downton Abbey. Basically the British spelling. I'm closer to a fangirl than to a nerd. I am .. more..

Writing