Fishing At Lake Ontelaunee

Fishing At Lake Ontelaunee

A Story by redzone
"

….fish sometimes tell stories..

"

Fishing At Lake Ontelaunee

 

 

Early morning mist spreads out through the forest, covering the path leading to the lake’s water reflecting Canpasapa Wi -" the moon of cherries blackening". It was a good day for fishing and after facing the four directions, giving thanks, and baiting the hooks, I threw out the first line, aiming for the deep spot where the trout and bass lie.

 

As I rested against the tall oak, taking in the forest’s scent and warm breeze, I felt my Hawk spirit wanting to fly. These spirit journeys are often strange, as I could see myself by the tree as I circled overhead, feeling freedom of thoughts and calm. But I also felt this urge to fly eastward, further than ever before to a strange land, where mystical creatures were carved into stone temples. As I soared over head, a beautiful woman appeared below, sitting on the temple’s steps and writing in a cloth notebook, enjoying the sunlight warm her face. As if by magic, she turned, looked into my eyes and held out her arm so I could land.

 

As she smoothed my feathers, she smiled, a calm healing smile, and spoke: “Hawk spirit, welcome to my new home; fly now, tell your master I am healthier and think of him often and wish him well. Go now, give him my touch.”

 

I awoke with a jolt when the Hawk returned at the same time, a fish took my bait. As I struggled to land the fish, I felt a calmness flow through me. It was a large catfish, perhaps 30 inches long and at least 10 pounds, but it was its eyes that held me. They were sad eyes; eyes that could tell many tales of survival and spoke to me of ancient myths. I knew that I had to release it back into the lake. I went home hungry this day as it was the only fish I caught. But I knew it was the right thing to do, necessary to keep the balance in all things.

 

As I packed up my gear, the catfish reappeared, thanking me for my sacrifice and began to speak in the ancient tongue. But it was Grandmother’s voice I heard. “My son, you are a brave warrior for releasing my catfish. Know that in our original stories, such sacrifices were important in the way the People became one with the four elements. And your hawk spirit has given you a gift, as well as a challenge. The Sun Dance Ceremony fast approaches and you are called upon to ‘dance the pole’ once again. The amount of time you last will determine your touch and good blessings sent to your far away friend and love. Like you, she too needs to know your feelings, that you will stand beside her always, no matter where she wanders. You are blessed, my son, with such a friend, as she needs to be blessed by your friendship.”

 

With these words, the catfish disappeared and as I walked back home, I was smiling with hope; feeling Grandmother’s wisdom, and my friend’s warm touch.

 

Aztec Warrior/redzone 7.16.18    


© 2018 redzone


Author's Note

redzone
....thanks for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are the only person I know who can weave the Native traditions into your writing with such clarity & teaching lessons. I love the way you describe everything in nature with attentiveness & heart. Reading such as this, being a more convincing argument for respecting our planet, far surpasses any rant or lecture by the scientists. I personally know people who fish "catch & release" as if they're doing something noble. I hate that viewpoint, so I was slow to warm up to your version of "catch & release" -- you do a good job of showing us the native ways in doing such a thing (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


You have a very even relaxed writing tone that is really intriguing. Your great use of visuals to back up the narrative and confidence with which the wisdom is dispensed is really good. I love writing like this. Puts in a great mood right off the bat today!

Posted 5 Years Ago


"These spirit journeys are often strange, as I could see myself by the tree as I circled overhead, feeling freedom of thoughts and calm."

Posted 5 Years Ago


" I knew that I had to release it back into the lake. I went home hungry this day as it was the only fish I caught. But I knew it was the right thing to do, necessary to keep the balance in all things."

Posted 5 Years Ago


Wow! You did not catch that big fish but you caught us in great wisdom of tradition and conservation. I love the vision and visitor you received and the change of heart to do the right thing whatever you deem. All the rich blessings will follow your day.

Posted 5 Years Ago


redzone

5 Years Ago

this story came to me this morning as I actually went fishing at Lake Ontelaunee which is only a few.. read more
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

Wow! You are welcome.
I would have done the same, Curt. How wonderfully told of your heritage, and loving wisdom of your Grandmother!

Posted 5 Years Ago


redzone

5 Years Ago

I know you would Kelly, as anyone with a feel for the connection and balance between all things... I.. read more
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

My pleasure, indeed!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2018
Last Updated on July 17, 2018

Author

redzone
redzone

somewhere, usa



Writing
Vision Quest Vision Quest

A Poem by redzone


Need Need

A Poem by redzone


A Kiss A Kiss

A Poem by redzone



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..