Danica

Danica

A Story by Seven Eves
"

What happened?

"

I squinted through sealed eyelids as 20 off-white bones peeked out from behind my lips. My flawless, fair skin burned under the rays of the rising Sun. Holding just faintly onto Danica’s hand, I listened to her gentle laughter beckon me to follow.The tall reeds tickled my bruised knees, and I flinched every time I stepped on something squishy with my bare feet. It was never really an issue running outside in just my nightgown, but I had never been farther than the corn field. Swamps were a different setting entirely.

                “Come ON, Rebecca! You’re going too SLOW!”

                Danica’s surprisingly sharp tone bit at my heart, and I instantaneously let go of her hand and flopped down hard into the mud.

                “Rebecca get UP!!”

               I rose to my hands and knees and sat back on my legs. The five fingers I held in front of my face looked oddly like 10... 10 tiny, pubescent, bloody fingers…

                It was then that I noticed that blood was everywhere. Everything that felt like mud, all of the squishy things smudged on the soles of my feet, the stains on my dress, all of it was--

                “REBECCA!” Danica’s scream echoed throughout the swamp as she snatched my hand and yanked me to me feet.

                …mud. All of it was fun, messy, muddy mud. I had never been happier. And it was all thanks to my good friend Danica, who’s laughter calmed me as I trotted behind her. Her polite aura soothed me as we walked, and 20 off-white bones peeked from behind my rose-coloured lips just as they had been all this time.

© 2013 Seven Eves


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on June 7, 2013
Last Updated on June 7, 2013
Tags: danica, short, story, scary, pubescent, fairytale, imaginary, new, girl, friend, dream, reality

Author

Seven Eves
Seven Eves

IL



About
The ink collides with the white canvas And ideas begin to flow And with ideas, inspiration Technology. And ink becomes font The white canvas becomes a white screen But the ideas still originate .. more..

Writing
The Doll The Doll

A Poem by Seven Eves


Wake Wake

A Story by Seven Eves