Holocaust

Holocaust

A Poem by Raven Wilson
"

I know this tends to be a widely overdone topic. But I just reread my favorite Holocaust book, and it inspired me.

"
Hunger, Thirst, Illness.
I am surrounded.
There is such a thing as the living dead.
Zombies.
Suffering to survive with no promise that if we don't go hungry we'll ever stay alive.
Will they ever stop killing us?
Us the 'Judenrat'.
Will they ever stop stealing!
our lives, our faith, our hope, our--
Will I ever stop screaming in the night?
Will i ever stop seeing my brothers die
--everyone gone before my eyes.
Will I ever see food again.
Will i ever drink cold, clear water.
I do not hate the Germans--
I hate the Nazis
I have been beaten, raped, and tortured.
Blue numbers glare at me everywhere
--I have none.
I have brown hair.
I have brown eyes.
I am Jewish.
Judaism may be my demise.
No heat. No clothes.
No food. No home.
I do not hate the Germans--
I hate the Nazis.
No brothers. No father.
My mother is ill.
No sister. No uncle.
I doubt she'll live.
No aunt. No cousins.
maybe we'll all die.
Dysentery. Typhus.
ravages us all.
Typhoid. Disease.
no cures.
I do not hate the Germans--
I hate the Nazis.
I am Jewish--
Will I survive?

© 2010 Raven Wilson


Author's Note

Raven Wilson
Yes I know it reads rather choppy, but I meant it to.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A great, disturbing randomness in this as it holds itself together with a single message. Well done. Could do more with it as you progress with your writing, but still a good read as it is.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the fact that it reads 'rather choppy' - i think 'punchy' is a better description. I really like the way it reads in this format; it is easier on the eye and makes its points more salient and hard-hitting. It is a fine tribute to the subject and carefully balanced, i think. (and I possess a copy of 'Shoah' - which is to me the bible on this subject; and if you haven't seen it, then I suggest you do)

I think the only thing i wasn't quite convinced on was the line -although a good one- "I do not hate the germans - i hate the nazis" ..I'm not sure this was the case on the part of the majority of Jews who suffered and died during the holocaust. Perhaps Jewish germans would've shared this sentiment, but not the Jewish population as a whole. The statement is probably more prevalent in retrospect.

Having said that, this is a nice piece of work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this poem. This means a lot to me...Very visual and very sad. Thank you for sharing this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Poem is powerful. A hard topic to write about. I was in Germany in 1977. The movie The Holocaust was showed for the first time. Germany took out that part of their history. My German girlfriend cries and was so sadden for the deeds of the Nazi's. In your words you are not upset at Germany. But War is not over for the poor Jews who lived. There is billions locked away in Swiss banks they cannot get to. A very good poem. Made me think.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


very well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 4, 2010
Last Updated on May 4, 2010

Author

Raven Wilson
Raven Wilson

~~, NY



About
My name is Raven, I currently reside in a very obscure little town near the Canadian border in New York. At this moment I am eighteen years of age. My favorite topics deal with heartbreak, pain, loss,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..