Genius!?

Genius!?

A Chapter by Rhemaebel

Genius!?

          I can feel heavy breaths as I take them Inhale, Exhale, Inhale, Exhale. I took a minute and took another huge sigh I feel so anxious that line was moving so sluggishly. This brunette girl probably my classmate in history -Marie I think- she wouldn’t make her mind which to choose over hamburgers or a ham sandwich; or the basketball team behind me making murmurs on how I look so pretty made me very irritated; but what made my patience cut was the person in front of the line Danny, a geeky kid. He’s trying to look for his wallet.

           That’s it!! I thought to myself I can’t take it! Stupid sluggish line…

          But before I could explode a few of the foot ball team suddenly called him and showed off a wallet. He made a run for it trying to grab the wallet he wasn’t worried about his allowance stolen from him. But he was more edgy at the fact that people we’re laughing! They were laughing because the bullies just showed to the entire school his picture ridding on a horse �"I’m talking about a mechanical kindergarten horse the one people insert token into; he was wearing cowboy boots, a Mexican hat and a bandana around his neck; but the worse part was that that photo was taken just a few months ago Obviously since he only had his braces placed a few months ago- That made me loosen a bit laughed but I felt so sorry.  

          High School I thought to myself. That figures.

          I feel so cowardly that I couldn’t do anything about this. The lion in the wizard of Oz looked fierce compared to me right now. Well that’s what I thought anyway other people just had different perspective. I closed my eyes relief that he line had move at least by five people.

          Unfortunately what came into my mind was the very first thing my anger ignited from. The memory of my interrupted peaceful day by a farcical stranger made my eyes flicker suddenly I grabbed the very first food in front of me I was so eager to sit down and eat away my frustration. I heard the basketball team making a fuss they probably never seen a girl’s tray full of food chocolate coated, fillings, pizza, sandwich, an apple, chips.

          I couldn’t help hearing one of the basketball guys “Woo! You’re not trying to ruin your diet, are you?” I glance up and it was Jake’s friend Chester. I just gave him a Mind-Your-Own-Business look and strode off towards the table. I swear if he wasn’t Emily’s Boyfriend’s friend I would have dish the whole tray into his head.

          Great! Now I feel courageous. SO brave of you Jane.

          I relaxed as I approached our table

          I sat at my chair just across Almira her Lincoln emerald eyes glanced up me then back at the novel in her hand. Her skin was as snowy as mine of course she had a little more radiance in her skin. I look down at my food and started with the slice of Pizza. I looked at her mindlessly. Her intense whitish blonde hair was very long down to her waist ringlets perfectly flowing at the end. It was tied in a ponytail style her bangs pinned to the side probably she didn’t want anything disturbing her while she was reading.  

          I remembered how she groaned and walked out when our classmates in Algebra Angel and Lin were bickering in front of her about the cramer’s rule method. I giggled at that thought and she leaned deeper into her book. I must’ve disturbed her so I looked at something else cautioned not to step on the line of disturbance.

          I gazed at the sky it was vivid and blue. The table we’re at was the perfect spot at any day. On a sunny day like this we would have the perfect view of the sky; just a few feet away from us was a fountain it’s very peaceful to listen to as the water flows freely; left side of us was the school’s lawn and the fresh scent of grass was very tranquil at rainy days, when rain deluge it was a nice scene like looking at waterfalls from its inside and our area never got wet like the other cafeteria table. Not a single drop of rain.

          “What’s wrong?” Almira asked she didn’t look up. She knew there was something up with me.

          I took a deep breath and told her about the violinist playing Vivaldi’s Concerto no. 24 I ended the story with the part where this guy left his __________ and I ran for him I knew she wasn’t paying much attention so I took a huge bite of my sandwich.

          “HEY! Quit it!” a familiar voice suddenly step in through the cafeteria door. It was Cloe her beige creamy eyes filled with anger; her dainty skin was stunning; her hair was as insipid bronzed cut straight as if she just walked out of the salon with an expensive hot-oil. And her trade mark her Professional camera hanging around her neck.

          “Ed, stop picking on Danny” Choi called out. She wasn’t alone along side her we’re her friends at chess.

          “Sorry, just having some fun.” Ed defended

          Renz reached out and grabbed the wallet from Ed’s hand

          “Here you go, Danny”

          Heroic as usual Cloe’s nature was more of a lazily cat sleeping in your lap but mess with her and her friends and you get a huge ferocious tiger inches from your throat.

          “I wouldn’t do that again if I were you” Cloe taunted at Ed

          “And if I do?” Ed back fired I felt the tension around the cafeteria Immediately Almira snapped her head up looking at Cloe she glanced a worried look at me. I winced and we both stood up just about to go to Cloe’s side.

          “Back up Ed” Alec cautioned

          “Cloe chill were leaving, ‘k?” Leonard called out.

          Good thing Cloe has A LOT of friends. I gasped with relief, Almira and I sat down.

          The tension lessened up as soon as it built up. Almira didn’t return to her book instead we followed Cloe’s every step. She glared at the football team as they took off. Three of her friends in chess left and Cloe slowly came towards us.

          She immediately changed her mood as she approached us.

          “Hey guys!” she said casually. Almira just went back to her novel I wasn’t a mind reader but I was sure she knew that no one could tell her: that what she did was wrong in a good stupid heroic way that almost got her attention.

          So I just sighed and said “I’m telling Emily and Mae about this” Coward! I called out to myself.

          She just shrugged and raised an eyebrow in wonderment as she settled in her seat

           “What’s wrong?” she pointed out at my almost half eaten tray half filled with wrappers of eaten ones.

          I just took another bite of my sandwich and talked about this guy who was really cute who just held me in his arms when I stumbled on the ground I paused and offered some chips to her apparently she wasn’t paying that much attention with me she was adjusting her camera and cleaning it and took some sample shots of me and Almira.

          Almira kept her attention in her book she just ignored my tale when it came to my prince charming she just glance up and cocked her head. Cloe kept taking pictures deleting the ones that we’re for her hideous she was so sensitive with the whole the lighting was not enough, the cropping looked horrible, a little to blurry, It should have taken a different view. She kept her pieces precisely perfect but for us we can’t even tell what’s not good about the pictures she took.

          “Cloe are you listening?” I murmured to her

          “That’s it hold it Mae…” she was comically snapping her camera changing angle to angle as soon as it could flash.

          I turned to where she was pointing her camera at and I saw Mae heading at our direction. She was dramatically posing for Cloe. Her murky brown spikey hair was flowing freely behind her back the ends at a fly-away state and her leaden brown eyes scanning our faces. She dyed it with crimson red streaks. She usually dyes her hair when her band plays at a concert.  She was wearing a backless top showing off her heart shaped birth mark with worn-off-style shorts matched with her very own customized boots. Her peach tanned skin was alluring �"I envied her compared to my pallid skin it made me very conscious when I was around her-. She was dressed for another band performance

          Why wasn’t she wearing her School Uniform? Were they going to perform somewhere?  I speculated.

            She placed her hands on her forehead shifting from one pose to another theoretically. She approached us and all four of us burst into laughter. She seated next to Cloe just across me.

          “Where’s your uniform” Almira asked

          “We’re having a photo-shoot today it’s for Emily… er for Principal Applegate she’s got Emily so tight with the whole school brochure thing. The principal wants the winners of last year’s battle of the band contest in it.” Mae was fanning herself sarcastically

          “I know what you mean, Emily’s been back and forth around school but this wasn’t about a simple school brochure that’s for sure” I added

          “Nope! Something bigger…” Cloe trailed off as she scanned the shots she took

          “…and it’s supposed to be private” she added sheepishly.

          “Hey Jane so what happened to this prince charming of yours?” Cloe immediately changed the subject

          We all just sighed knowing Emily would know what she was doing keeping this SECRET from her BESTFRIENDS. She was the School’s Student Body President, Literary Editor of the school paper under Almira who was the School Paper’s Editor-In-Chief. Emily must have other reasons why she hid this from us except for Cloe of course �"after all Cloe’s the BEST photographer here in School- I wonder what it could be?

          “Like I was saying…” I relayed the story they were half listening Almira went to her book, Cloe kept capturing random shots, at least Mae was listening she was nodding every few second and her eyes widen when I told her how that PER- I mean how that guy lifted my skirt- and she rolled her eyes when I told her all the guy wanted was to clean my scrapped knee. Before she could respond to my answer something behind me caught her eye.

          “Emily!” She called out. Emily was in a hurry pace when she reached to our table she sat at her chair between me and Almira across Cloe and Mae.

          “Where’s Jhake?” she asked calmly. I was a bit relief that Emily wasn’t in her boiling point yet. She would really get very frustrated when she got too busy. She’s worst at her silent panic state.

          “He’s not with you?” Mae pulled her eyebrows together.

          “Ugh!” Emily hissed she reached for her cell phone and texted Jhake.

          “Calm down Ely.” Almira said paying attention before Emily could break down.

          “Don’t worry I’m fine, busy Schedule that’s all…” she trailed off and looked at Mae again.

          “MAE!” She screamed with delight

          “You look adorable, the bold red look is good on you” she pointed to the streaks on Mae’s hair.

          “Thanks I did it by myself” Mae proudly proclaimed

          “Better than the Indigo last time” Almira laughed.

          “Yeah I remembered that one....” Almira joined in closing the book in her hand.

          What am I invisible here? Best friend with a crisis here Hello.

          “Guys were you even listening to me?” I sighed. All four of them were looking at me.

          “You �"I mean we- heard a song at history earlier and you thought it was just your imagination then you headed out to the Playground to catch some sleep…” Emily started

          “…And while you we’re sleeping a guy playing a violin, who probably was the same person you heard playing earlier woke you up…” Almira added

          “…Then you stumble while running after him while he left his Rosin and when you tried to stand up again you fell into his arms…” Cloe continued

          “…Meanwhile you thought he was doing something nasty then you pushed him to the ground BUT he was only trying to help you with your knee.” Mae Ended

          “Looks like you found you prince charming” Mae smirked at me

          “And looks like his a good violinist your type” Almira grin

          “And you had the LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT thing” Cloe smiled

          “I don’t see the Problem here Jane…” Emily protested

          “Not finished” I defended

          “Well as soon as he left he turned around and winked at me” I groaned under my furious breath, and the four of them leaned closer to me.

          “…and called me Clumsy!” I squealed. Emily raised her eyebrow in a I-don’t-get-your-point manner. Cloe went back to her camera. Mae touched her temples as if she was under a huge headache. Almira just stared at me and said

          “We call you cluts now-and-again…”

          “Not the same” I complained

          “He was such a stupid, arrogant, egotistic, smug, bumptious Jerk…” I trailed off

          “WOO! I didn’t do anything” Jhake was approaching us overhearing my description to this mysterious guy. He was all dressed up as well leather pants, his hair this time was filled with gel waved to his left falling near his eyes, he also had a t-shirts the imprint read:

NPEG

NATO PER ESSERE GRANDE

It was a Cliffhanger style so at the back it red

“WE WE’RE BORN TO BE GREAT”

          I glanced at Mae just noticing she was wearing the same T-shirt. Francine �"Emily’s cousin who was a high-school intern in a fashion magazine- probably designed this I could recognize the patterns.

          “No not you” Emily assured Jhake.

          “She has it!” Mae snorted referring to me

          “Probably so she just doesn’t know.” Almira agreed

          “Like I said LOVE-AT-FIRST-SIGHT-THING” Emily followed.

 

          I gave up what made them think this way? Annoying really annoying there was no way I could change there mind about this topic. They weren’t very helpful my 5 BESTFRIENDS were picking on me emotionally this is beginning to be such a head-ache. I slammed my head against the table fortuitously �"well by my common sense at least- .

          “OUCH” I lifted it as soon as I felt the pain I know I was having a real head-ache

          “That hurt” I mumbled to myself.

          “Since when did 2-inch wooden cafeteria table not hurt when you slam your head against it.” Jhake commented at me I just glared at him. Before I could get a smart come back Emily’s phone buzzed briskly in her bag.

          “Shoot! It’s Mrs. Applegate” Emily looked frantic

          “Since when did you and her become best buds?” Mae asked indifferently

          “Since you need to get your butt to the Gernade’s Auditorium now for the photo-shoot” Emily grabbed Jhake by his Elbow.

          “Hello Ma’am, Yes they just finished setting up the stage, the drama club just texted me, were heading there right now, Yes I just need to…” and the rest of the conversation was out of earshot

          “We better go before she fumes up” Cloe stood up

          “Wait a bit more don’t worry she’ll take it out on Jhake” Mae winked at me and I replied with a smirk, Cloe just rolled her eyes.

          “Catch you guys later” Cloe said as she towed Mae who was waving good-bye.

          “And then there were two” Almira simpered. I just lifted my shoulders and let them drop.

          “Let’s get some ice on that” she lightly pressed at my huge bump on my forehead

          “Hey!” I was agitated by her touch no matter how lightly she pressed it still hurt. I scowled at her and she just chortled at my annoyed reaction.

          We headed for our first period for the afternoon which was Chemistry with Miss Rache she wasn’t such a tyrant like most teachers in high school. I looked kind a weird because I looked like I was just beaten up. A handkerchief was tied around my knee and I was holding up an ice pack against my forehead. Humiliation! People were staring I just hope no one would ask why I look like that. I really didn’t want to tell them that I slammed my head against the cafeteria table or to retell that frustrating story which resulted to my limping about.

          I just wanted to hurry my pace usually me and Almira would walk to the classroom leisurely never in hurry. But this day I would definitely make just this one exception.

           Just as we passed by the music room Almira fell behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see her expression. She stood there frozen eyes wide, her jaw hung open, and pointing at something trembling. I followed to where she was pointing and I was startled when she ran pass me in an instant I had to follow her. She wasn’t in the school’s running team but she didn’t suck at P.E, neither. Now I had to fasten my pace. As soon as I caught up to her I was gasping my breath she was pointing to the bulletin board with a dumbfounded expression.

          And it wrote:

“FINALE”

Wanted a FEMALE violinist with exceptional talent

Then audition and get to perform with Rey Ardel

Audition Information

          “It’s HIM!” Almira Squealed “It’s Rey Ardel!” She screamed at the top of her voice.

          “Rey-who?” I questioned

          “You don’t know him, his THE Rey Ardel?” she looked at me wide eyes

          “People say his like an Angel when he strikes the strings of his violin, a child-prodigy, and he was entitled as the BEST MUSICIAN in HIS GENERATION, he played for the Queen of England, for USA President, he had over 100 Classical Concerts that were sold-out all over the world” she looked at the poster dumbfounded

          “He also has a good heart he played under the Eiffel Tower for a campaign against hunger, he did not gain a single profit for that but he just played for three straight hours” her eyes then focused on me

          “You honestly don’t know him, Rey Ardel?” she asked me once more

          “Rey? Rey... Rey..?” I repeated to myself

          “Nope never heard of him” she sighed at my answer and stared at the poster I followed her Eyes looking more closely to this Jhake Ganza Dee his picture took almost ½ length-wise of the poster.

          “It’s him” blurted out. The same crimson oak colored hair, Pale-white complexion shinning under the spotlight in monkey suit. No mistaken it’s the same guy earlier in decent clothes he looked quite -well decent- but my expression change when I suddenly remembered what happened at the school’s Playground

          “Yes, It’s him” Almira seemed to be struck by the way she looked at his image.

          “The same Jerk I met this morning” I gritted under my teeth

          “You met him?” I was shock with her expression

          “His in Campus? Wandering about? He was playing his music here? You get to see him Play?” She gasped every question, as she stepped forward I took a step backward

          “Why didn’t you get his Autograph!” She turned towards the bulletin board grabbed a pen and notebook, she scribbled down the time, date and place of the Audition.

Finale Audition:

Saturday,

             Autencia Conference Room

 1pm

          “You’re Auditioning for the Final act? I thought you don’t want to play the violin” I wondered

          “Nope! And Yes!” I was confuse for a moment with her answer. As soon as she placed her things back in her bag she stared at me with watery eyes. I wasn’t a mind-reader but I could read what she was trying to tell me that imploring look on her face, who couldn’t?

          “NO way, uh-uh, Not a chance” I protested

          “Please you play the Violin very well, You get huge bouquets from maestros when you play in orchestras, Your last name is Haydn from you…”

          “Not enough reason” I cut her off

          “Please Jane, Please, Please…” She pleaded but I just turned my head left to right repeatedly

          “Your fault you didn’t get his autograph, Please” she blinked several times rapidly she was pouting

          “I’ll owe you big, when you guys practice for the final act you just need to take his autograph, I can interrupt a few seconds for pictures and…”

          “WOOH! Back up we’re not even sure if I’ll get the part stop fantasising” I interjected

          “PUH-Lease, You’re mom is an International Musician, You’re a direct decedent of Joseph Haydn, you won more over 50 medals on classical music competitions. It’s in your Blood.”

          “It’s got nothing to do with blood.” I groaned

          “Please Jane, Please you got nothing to do on Saturday, and you know what they say BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER Please…” she tried to convince me

          “Fine” I answered irritated

          “YES! I love you Jane”

          “This is only because I know you won’t stop irritating me about this, I’m still not buying the whole BLOOD thing”

          “I won’t mention it…” she trailed off and then added

          “…not that frequently now”

          “I’ll love you for Life for this don’t worry I’ll audition for the opening acts” she jumped but I felt so exasperated. I drag myself to class and she just danced her way through the thick crowd.

          School went on as usual Chemistry went alright, it was fun but Miss Rachel never keeps track of her lectures; Algebra wasn’t all that bad but equations, formulas wasn’t really my thing and Cloe’s empty seat made me more curious than the lesson we had; my last subject for the afternoon was PE and thankfully the subject was badminton, I simply like to rally with the shuttle c**k I wasn’t that great but I wasn’t the worst, My first game was with Mae and as she says it

          “I suck at every sport that involves a ball and a net in it.” I just laughed with her, every time she misses the shuttlecock and applauded every time she serves over the net. We hit the showers after the bell rang, As soon as I changed back into my uniform I looked at my scrapped knee.

          “Honestly what am I going to do with this?” I mumbled to myself I looked more carefully at the handkerchief I just sighed. I stuffed the handkerchief into my bag then made a mental note to return it to him next time I see him �"which I wish won’t be soon-. I wrapped my knee with a bandage that Mae asked from the School’s nurse.

          We headed out, just outside the gym Almira was already waiting for us. She was reading a new magazine front cover was HIM that really annoyed me.

          “Come on Almira don’t you have anything to read?” I grunted

          “Hey, you’re lucky you already met the guy” she replied still sticking her head into the magazine. Mae was just a few feet away from me when her cell phone rang

          “From Emily: Wait by the School’s front Cloe has something to show you guys” Mae read the message out loud

          “Is that Rey? Share-Share-Share” Mae gasped “Wait…”

          “You met THE Rey Ardel?” Mae’s eyes were beaming at me with delight

          “Yup” Almira answered for me

          “No way? When? Where? How?” Mae was anxious I rolled my eyes and strode off knowing that Almira would fill her in.

          Really this guy’s that amazing with the violin sure it’s his talent. But what’s with the attitude?  Would you call a stranger Clutsy just because you saw her fall for the first time?

          I sat at the bench nearest to the main entrance of the school’s front building. Mae and Almira was deep in their conversation they eventually changed their topic from their Idol Rey to the new café that just opened because I kept ignoring them when they asked me about this Rey guy. Tan-Tan-tananan-Tan-Tan my phone rang and I grabbed it from my bag

The first message read

          From: MOM,

            Jane, I just arrived at the airport I’m waiting for your dad.

The second message read,

          FROM: DAD,

            Sweetie just took some take out from your and your mom’s favourite restaurant.

I checked my watched and 4:30 the message was sent 30 minutes earlier I guess I didn’t hear my phone ring.

          From: MOM,

            Daddy just arrived. We’re heading out the airport. Your dad got us take-out we’ll have dinner together.

And that was the latest message.

“…I heard the Latte and the Oatmeal cookies there are very tasty one of a kind around the world” Almira went on

          “Yeah, and they have so many various pastry to pick from. Want to go there later? ” Mae invited

          “Sure! Jane, do you want to come with?”

          “No thanks” I replied still reading the latest message

          “You? Rejecting an after-school eating activity?” Mae cocked her head at me

          I just smiled and said

          “My mom’s picking me up” I couldn’t hide the eagerness in my voice.    “She’d just arrive from Italy” I showed them the message

          “Italian shoes Oooh…” we heard a sarcastic voice from behind us and a sudden snap of a camera as soon as we all turned our heads towards the voice.

          “Perfect” Cloe reviewed her photo

          “So you’re mom’s coming home? No wonder you were in such a good mood” Emily called out half paying attention with her Ipad probably filled with schedules and everything. I just smiled at her when she glanced up

          “When’s she picking you up?” Almira asked

          “She said she’s on her way now from the airport” I responded to her question. I looked at Emily who was speed texting with her phone Iphone now and Cloe was still reviewing her photos which reminded me.

          “Hey Cloe what’s the surprise you were talking about?”

          “Right.” She snapped her head up she pointed to Almira’s magazine and cleared her throat.

          “Presenting Rey Ardel” she showed off some photos from her camera.

          “Rey…!” Jane and Almira shrieked in unison

          “ughh…” I just grunted

          “What’s your problem” Cloe reacted to my expression

          “His the same guy I met earlier…” Emily and Cloe looked at each other.

          “Your horrible Prince Charming?” Emily looked confused

          “Yeah. Anyways, why did you guys hide this guy?”

They didn’t answer, Emily went back to her Ipad and hid her Iphone Cloe sat next to me while she stared at her camera in Mae’s and Almira’s hand…

          “That’s why” she pointed to Mae and Almira

          “The principal didn’t want a mob to form while we were taking some photos…” Cloe added

          “He’s really that famous” I asked to myself and at the same time all four of my best friends snapped their heads up

          “YES!” they answered in unison

          “His so so so…” Mae trailed off

          “Attractive” Almira continued

          “Brilliant” Mae responded

          “Charming” Cloe added and they continued altering with adjectives to describe this guy D to Z and Mae used Zincate as the last portrayal to the guy and Emily said after

“You do know you just called him a zinc hydroxide salt?”

          Cloe retrieved her camera before it would have any damage from two fan girls.

          I just kept staring at Almira and Mae as they read some articles aloud to us and found out that this guy Aside from the violin he also plays the, flute, cello, piano, trumpet, clarinet and modern instruments major in drums and base-guitar. He wishes to be like any other teenagers who go to high schools, enjoy sports, and just laugh out loud with friends. He loves music but he doesn’t want to throw away his youth with strict classical music people making him play.

          I felt sorry for this Rey guy but I just thought to myself magazine writers would be a celebrity’s best friend try to sell the magazine if the front cover would be his face and inside would be his Mushy personality. 

          “Crazy, Crazy fanatics” Emily shook her head slowly.

          “Cloe…” Almira broke out the silence she called out in a sugar-coated tone

          “Do you want to go to the Café that opened up across the mall?” Mae fluttered her eyelids

          “…Our treat!”

          “What’s in it for you guys?” Cloe suspiciously asked

          “Nothing much just…” Mae slowly mouthed

          “Rey’s Pictures” they both speed up in chorus

          “Should have known…” I retorted. Almira playfully stuck her tongue out

          “Fine I’m on my way to Golez studios anyway”

          “Thanks…” Mae responded

          “He is so CUTE” Almira yelled

          “I know, I know” Jhake called out. He was carrying his soccer ball on his right hand and his base guitar in its bag clinged to his body.

          “Guilty as charged” he raised his hands in mid-air

          We all looked at him and countered

          “YOU WISH!” �"Except for Emily of course-

          “Freaky.” He stared at us

          “It’s a girl thing” Emily called out

          “We should get going before the café closes” Almira stood up

          “You” Mae pointed to Matt

          “No cold drinks or food got that.” Mae warned him

          “What! What’s a movie without some snackage?”

          “Emily…” Mae and Matt groaned

          “Your voice is magical, well that makes one of us” Emily pointed to the sky. I looked up and saw what she was pointing at the sun was hidden beneath the grey clouds and earlier it was so sunny.

          “Ely I told you not to sing” Cloe added sarcastically

          “So you think my voice is magical?” Jhake took Emily’s hand and gently stroke it with his thumb Emily’s stressful look change instantly. They didn’t speak but they were having a private conversation just by gazing into each others eyes.

          “I think this is our cue to leave” Cloe grabbed Mae by her elbow.

          “I’m watching you Matt” Mae teased with frustration

          “Good luck Jane.” Almira winked. I was thinking the same she’s thinking heck I honestly don’t want to get myself in the middle of these lovers. I just leaned by the bench and gave an exasperated sigh as I waved good-bye to my other BFFs.

          “Hey Jane aren’t you coming with them?” Jhake was annoyed.

          “Nope, sorry I’m stuck with you guys”

          “Great” he was irritated now.

          “Be nice.” Emily seated herself next to me and Jhake followed.

          “Where’s your brother any way” she wondered. Before Jhake could even answer I span Emily around and hold her by her shoulders.

          “Mike’s coming?”Mike, as in my crush since 2nd grade coming to pick them up? Did it just get colder? Did everything  just stop and sped up at the same time? I’m not prepared. I felt my grasp on Emily tighten and she noticed it. She took my hands and placed it in hers soothingly.

          “Easy! Breath in” I followed her command

          “Breath out” I released a huge exhale. But I still wasn’t feeling any easier. Every nerve in my body involuntarily tensed itself.

          I remembered the first time I tried to give something to Mike during Valentine’s Day it was so many years back. Almira helped me make a card. It was with a pink paper tied with a pink and white satin ribbon; in it was a huge heart with a Happy Valentines Day greeting hand-written by Cloe.

          “Jane you can do it” Emily encouraged

            “Good luck” Almira smiled at me

            “Pull yourself together” Mae shook me

            “Go Jane we’re cheering” Cloe called out

My friends were cheering as I approached Mike’s classroom, I could feel myself shivering but I tried my best to ease up my pace and my breathing.

            “M-Mike …” I held my breath as he came closer to me.

            “Hey Jane”

            “This is for you” I handed him the card

            “Thanks Jane that’s nice of you” and I was stunned that moment I could still see warm his warm smile...

          And from that moment onwards I would always end up frozen in front of Mike.  

          “Jane” Emily snapped me out of my flash back

          “Yeah?”

          “His just returning Jhake’s Prius” I heard Jhake snoreted

          “Okay? Nothing to be nervous, got that?”

          “Okay.” I still sat frozen in my shock expression. Emily kept babbling something about calm down, relax, and ease up. I’m sure I knew the words but why was my body responding oppositely? 

          “Jane I can’t believe you like that dork” Mike grunted and Emily gave him a glare. They both started to fight, I really couldn’t get what it was. I was lost in my own confusion.

          “See you made her tense, again” Emily moan. Before I could even respond my head snapped up and I could feel the heat rise up to my cheeks. There was the sound of Jhake’s Prius I would know that honk anywhere. I stood up, and Emily held my hand she was still trying to calm me down.

          Calm, Calm, Calm I repeated again and again in my head.

          Just then the car parked outside the school’s front my eyes were welded to the car. I started to pant as soon as the car’s door opened and then there he was. He looked so different yet the same.

          “Dude your late” Jhake lightly punched Mike’s shoulders.

          “No problem, tickets and drinks are on me…” He came closer and I couldn’t tell if he grew or Jhake, Emily and I shrank? Because definitely even Jhake looked like a midget with him around; and he looked so mature; he was wearing a plain white V-neck  T-shirt and faded old jeans showing off his built body biceps and triceps; He had the same ebony black hair like Jhake, but his wasn’t as wild as his younger brother. His hair was like the models you see in a shampoo bottle for men. His eyes met mine showing off it’s Jade lush. Blame college for that, I was so way out of his liege.

          “…for four?” then he smiled. The same smile he wore so many years ago that’s what I love about him so much. His Charm simply was better than anyone else.

          “Ahem…” Jhake was raising his eyebrows and giving me a Well-What-Are-You-Waiting-For look.

          I thought for a moment. Wait! Did he just ask me to tag along with them to watch a movie? He did say for four? He asked me on a DATE? A date-DATE?

          Yes! A little voice inside me screamed Sure, Certainly, Absolutely, Sure thing. Darn it Jane Speak

          Dire Di Si! Ja! Hai! Wee! Get it together Jane. I opened my mouth

“ahhh…” But I was still unsuccessful with the answer part.

          “Sorry Mike Jane’s mom’s picking her up” Emily replied for me sensing my absence of control to my nervous system.

          “Well next time then.” He gestured to Jhake and Jhake followed him to the car.

          Emily reached to Jhake and whispered “Go ahead! I’ll unfreeze her”

          She turned to me and then snapped her fingers in front of my hypnotic expression.

          “Ely-” I pouted and slammed myself back on the bench. Emily followed my movement but gently though. She was holding my hands and patted them gently.

          “It’s going to be fine I’ll explain it to him.” She assured me.

          “Thanks” I nodded then she waved good-bye and the car roared itself back to life and they left. I didn’t glance up because I know I would look to red right now, I can still feel my cheeks burning. My Ultimate Mr. Perfect just asked me out. I had to reject and worse I didn’t even have the guts to be the one to reject the invitation. So courageous of you Jane.

 



© 2013 Rhemaebel


Author's Note

Rhemaebel
In this chapter I gave out who the identity of the rude boy that Jane has met. I'm not certain if I've change all the character's name cause I can remember I changed the Prodigy's name...
This chapter also introduces the best friends of Jane...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Do you think this chapter's a bit too long?

Posted 11 Years Ago


I would like to receive reviews from it. It would really be a big help. Also I would like to thank you for taking your time in reading this chapter up to the end or even just half way through. I would like to receive reviews, feedback, comments, suggestions, and feedback... critics are also accepted for those who would like to give criticism I humbly beg that you give it in a polite and civilized way. Once again Thank You!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Still a wonderful story! You're talented, all right!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rhemaebel

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the review :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

254 Views
5 Reviews
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: Music, Love, Friendship, Mother-Daughter, Family


Author

Rhemaebel
Rhemaebel

Philippines



About
I'm an amateur writer who dreams to become a big shot novelist and get my works published. A dream I hope with much effort can come true. I mostly write short stories and currently working on 2 novels.. more..

Writing
Starry Sky Starry Sky

A Story by Rhemaebel