Lights of Lights

Lights of Lights

A Story by rishi

The lights are dim as a candle flame of blue, red and yellow flickers gently and the moon listens in on the conversation that is taking place through the window. Rias gazes at the flame meditatively and slowly probes, “Do you realize that this beautiful flame will go out and darkness will take its place soon? It’s a sad truth that all beauty will cease one day. Nothing is eternal, only momentary. It will all be dark one day.” 
Maya quietly listens, resting her cheek on his bare chest. She hugs him tightly with a sudden shiver, the feeling of fear that one must leave and seek the unknown someday. Maya whispers, “You are the flame in my life, for without you, I’ll be in total darkness, dear.” Teardrops wet Rias’ chest as she utters those words. Riaz sighs and his gaze returns to the burning candle, its flame somewhat swollen, as if full of tears waiting to burst in fear of the impending end. It feels like the only thing that matters now is the solitude that is bound to overwhelm the candlelight and the wax. As Rias ponders this metaphor of life, the flame slows, casting its last shadow before quiet darkness engulfs the room. 
Life is a journey filled with pain, burden, sacrifice, loss and all emotions that lead to the end. The only strength to carry this baggage lifelong is drawn from love, a love with no conditions and very much like the wax that burns with the flame. The wax is patient, adamant and holds on strong so as not to lose the beauty of the flame despite getting burnt. 
“I will hold on strong to you, Maya, till the end. I’m like the wax and you are the flame in my life. I am patient, admiring your beauty till my last breath.” As they cuddle in the darkness, a new light begins to fill their room from the window. Taken aback at first, both Rias and Maya chuckle as they realize it is merely the moon rays. Rias whispers, “There is always light at the end of a dark tunnel, yet in the darkness, I will search only for my light. It is you, my love”, and he kisses Maya’s wet cheeks. 
“When we wake up in the morning, all will be brighter. I realize beauty is eternal if it’s defined by love.” 
As they dwell in this moment of romance, a young voice is heard from the doorway. 
“Grandpa, I’m scared to sleep. It’s very dark. Can I sleep with both of you?” A small figure runs in and lies between his grandparents. Now, the elderly couple cuddle their 5-year-old grandson. And as the boy dozes off, secure in the warmth of unconditional love, grandma whispers to him, “Never fear the darkness, have faith that there is always a tiny light waiting to enter.That light will make you smile…” 

© 2015 rishi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on August 11, 2015
Last Updated on August 11, 2015

Author

rishi
rishi

India



About
Looking up to the sky, for a hint... more..

Writing
Other Side Other Side

A Story by rishi


The Goddess The Goddess

A Story by rishi