The Crash

The Crash

A Poem by Chip Murison

I have to get there before four
To sell my soul
For the money...
 
I will just make it
I thought
Weaving through the fog
Just ahead of rush hour.

I crossed the bridge
In the wrong lane 
Exit only..
To Treasure Island
S**t
No turn around
And then
It starts to rain
As I speed up the winding hill
Lined by eucalyptus trees
Dripping in the mist.

No time for this...

At the top of the hill
I  feel sick
The money...
The time...
Three point turn
Wheels spinning
Then down
To the misty lights that line the bridge
Faded in the gray.

On the curve
Is where my tires left the road
And I floated
In slow motion
Along the black glistening asphalt
For eternity

I could count the rain drops splattering
One by one
While the wipers kept a beat
Flap.....flap......flap
The smell of eucalyptus filled the air
Like holy oil.
 
Time was up
Nothing mattered anymore
Now

Ahh...
So this is what they mean when they say 
Your life flashes by
I thought...
Weightless In the giddy silence.

© 2016 Chip Murison


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love this creative story told in prose formatted like a poem. I especially like the way you weave in various details, first on the trip to Treasure Island, then slightly altered, on the way back from Treasure Island (ex: eucalyptus). I also love the way you describe the "accident" as almost an imaginary trip to another realm, slowing down time as it happens. Great details & imagination. Good job using so few words to describe so vividly: "three-point turn wheels spinning" & more . . .

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chip Murison

7 Years Ago

Thanks Barleygirl! I really appreciate your comments.



Reviews

Chasing money, catching only air...three point turns, reversing, getting nowhere fast, then slow motion, realisation, life slowing down, too late to realise that you could have saw it all, if only we had the time to look. Lesson learned to late, as per.
Like the addition of the smell of eucalyptus in the air, a sensory warning of foreboding perhaps? Love how you end, weightless in the giddy silence. What a trip. Pity it was their last. Superb, as ever.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I love this creative story told in prose formatted like a poem. I especially like the way you weave in various details, first on the trip to Treasure Island, then slightly altered, on the way back from Treasure Island (ex: eucalyptus). I also love the way you describe the "accident" as almost an imaginary trip to another realm, slowing down time as it happens. Great details & imagination. Good job using so few words to describe so vividly: "three-point turn wheels spinning" & more . . .

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chip Murison

7 Years Ago

Thanks Barleygirl! I really appreciate your comments.
Now here is that dark style that I very much so enjoy. Not quite as far into the void as I love to go, but dark... I interpret this as a man experiencing his last moments of life. Taking into account the information you've been kind enough to share in your bio, I feel like you've drawn from life experiences here. Perhaps not all true, but you include eucalyptus (from what I'm aware, this grows in tropical climates) very specifically. And the rain, again, I think of tropical areas. Very wet. Sharp turns, as if heading up a mountain.

I can't interpret the meaning so much as it's almost 04:00 here, and I don't sleep well anymore, but my main sight is that this set a few things:

"to sell my soul" in the first stanza. Focused on the money to sell his soul, as if he has nothing to lose in.

"like holy oil", and in holy, I like of the heavens, as in the afterlife. As if he's aware that he's done for.

Following immediately is "time was up"; he certainly seemed to be aware.

"Weightless in the giddy silence." He was ready, almost wanting, death. He seemed to be relieved at his life finally, FINALLY, coming to an end, as he had wanted it to... perhaps for some time.

Perhaps, I'm over analyzing, potentially incorrectly. Regardless, once again, well done. If i had anything to correct in this poem, saw anything that could potentially be changed, I would let you know, but I enjoy it as it is.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chip Murison

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your thoughtful review (as always)
I'm so glad you picked up on the giddy silence... read more
Jamie

7 Years Ago

Damn. Very powerful. Something like that I thought had to be at least based off of something true if.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 27, 2016
Last Updated on September 28, 2016

Author

Chip Murison
Chip Murison

Novato, CA



About
Entrepreneur, vagabond, part time mystic, poet and writer. I currently own a natural mattress store in the Bay Area My poetic style is heavily influenced by Charles Bukowski. I love his easy to re.. more..

Writing
Wish Wish

A Poem by Chip Murison



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..