Ode to the Black Bear

Ode to the Black Bear

A Poem by RJ
"

life from the bears perspective

"

 

Oh, how I wake to the fresh air and sun with my belly a-growl and rumble.

Feeling as if I haven’t eaten in years.

So, I begin to forage through the woods, hoping to soon find food.

As I travel, a smell not so friendly approaches me.

I know not of what it is rather unusual and up ahead, but I fear not for I am hungry.

So off I go, on my merry way. I begin making a path to roam through the woods.

Behold, before my very eyes, why it’s a plump and juicy bush full of berries.

So, I eat and eat, and eat some more until the berries are no more.

I find my energy come to me and head off to the stream.

Where I am in hope of finding some fish for I am still hungry.

I find myself coming to the creek for a drink and looking for some fish.

Ooh look I thought, there’s a fish, how delish, and so I swatted and swatted until I hooked and catch a fish with my paw and claws.

Oh, how the fish tasted so good, yum.

But then I hear a noise from out of nowhere and I looked and looked.

I saw nothing, not a thing.  I thought, hmm?  Maybe it is just a squirrel or something.

Oh, but no not a squirrel. Something it was, was indeed. For it was a dog, an angry looking dog and it was coming right towards me and oh how it looked mean.

 So, I ran, I try to run as fast as I can. I push to run as fast and hard as I can, and it seems no matter how far or fast I run, the dog is on my tail. Oh no, I thought as I run, not a stupid mongrel dog.

No, I thought, I can't keep going on like this. I don’t have the strength and my energy is beginning to fade. I thought help! But no Help to be seen.

Oh no, now there are more of these mangy mongrel mutts coming after me.

So finally, I run as far as I can, for I cannot escape them. And so, I am looking as quick as I can.

I finally spot and take for a big tree. It looks strong enough so I begin to climb. I climb and climb until I can’t climb no more. I can’t stop panting and my heart is racing.

I thought why, why me. why did the dog have to find me? Why did the dog get help from his pack and chase? What have I done to be run up a tree.

Oh, little ole’ me has done nothing wrong, Nothing. I didn't do anything to the dog. why does it want me?

So, there I sit. I sit in fear. for I cannot move. Those dogs are down there. Oh, how they are taunting me and they will torture me if I get down. Why, why must this be?

Why did I have to wake for such a pain of day. Now I am thirsty, I cannot quench my thirst. I so do need some water and no one to help me, not anyone.

I continue to sit some more with my heart to finally starting to calm down and soon it will be dark.

I don’t want to sleep here. not here, not in this tree. I can’t, I won’t be comfortable, not here.

Oh, why did I have to wake for my day to be like this and oh how the dogs still so much time later taunting me, for I cannot stay here much longer. I am in need of food and water.  Oh, so thirsty.

I soon see the sun looking to start fading away and hear something different. Different, yes and Odd. It’s definitely an Odd sound but different and the dogs.

The dogs, why they are acting strangely different. Maybe they will go away and I can be free.

Oh, what a relief for them to go away. it would be peace but it is not.

I hear a bang, oh what a very loud bang. and then something hits me. I have been hit. I have been hit hard. Oh, I have been hit no. no! The pain, oh the pain, it hurts! Oh my, it hurts.

I let out a roar that can be heard far, far away. I cannot hold myself still.

I cannot take this pain. This pain oh how it hurts so, for it is tearing me up.

I cannot take it, I just can’t, and I am wet with dark water.

I slide and hit the other limbs below me. I cannot last any longer. I am no more.

No, I have done nothing to deserve this. Why? I begin falling. I fall towards the limbs below.

As I hit the limbs, they hurt ever so badly and this pain in my chest, it won’t leave me.

I land and land hard. I feel lifeless but I am still barely here holding on to what’s left of me.

I am dying and near death. I can feel it. I see it. I know it’s there.

What could I have done to deserve this. The pain is fading, and as I take my very last breath.

I see the sun set and I feel surrounded by animals and people.

I realize I am no more and leaving this place, I am.

I leave this place of pain and torture, to have my last day suffer, only to suffer no more.

May I finally not be hungry or thirsty. And finally, as it has come, I will be at peace.

 

 

-R.J. Hawk

© 2017 RJ


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 21, 2017
Tags: bear, black bear, life, death, fear, animal, dog

Author

RJ
RJ

Fairfield, VA



About
Greetings, I am 35 and returning to writing poetry after a 15 yr gap. more..

Writing
Thoughts Thoughts

A Poem by RJ


Snow Day Snow Day

A Poem by RJ


the Sky the Sky

A Poem by RJ