O'CONNOR'S BANSHEE

O'CONNOR'S BANSHEE

A Story by Marie
"

Sort of a St. Patrick's Day story.

"

 

      “What do you want?” Erin O’Connor asked the strange woman

 

     “Only to be your friend.”

 

     Her voice and smile were sweet, but by her long red hair and pale skin, Erin knew her to be a Banshee. “Go away! You bring death.”

 

     “Banshees don’t bring death, only tell of it. Besides, I bring you a gift.”

 

     “I don’t want it.”

 

     But the woman went on. “You are now a fine musician. I will make you a great one.” Erin tried to refuse again, but the Banshee vanished, saying “You should be honored. We visit few families. O’Connor is one.” Erin did not want such honor, but it was too late.

 

      Erin  played piano with a small combo. He had never felt such power in his fingers as he did that night. Customers stood, applauding. In a few months he left the combo to join a prestigious orchestra, then began giving concerts. He became famous. The Banshee visited occasionally, always assuring him “Not yet…not yet…”

 

     Erin O’Connor was eighty-four when he walked out on stage to thunderous applause. In one of the front seats he saw a pale, red-haired woman. He was no longer afraid of her. “Ladies and gentlemen,” he said, “instead of commencing with “Dance of the Stars,” as I usually do, I will play instead “Funeral March of the O’Connor’s.”

 

     His first few notes were interrupted by a wailing scream. “Funeral March of the O’Connor’s” was never played again, for the music vanished as Erin O’Connor died.

© 2015 Marie


Author's Note

Marie
The Banshee takes many forms; I have used the traditional red hair and pale skin for this one. The banshee appears only to select families and is said to bestow artistic gifts. The banshee does not cause death, but does predict it, and when her peculiar scream is heard, someone is about to die.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Marie, My anscestors were formally O'Neill and one of the families the Banshee is reported to follow, I remember my grandmother speaking that her mother had seen and heard the Banshee wail. A chilling thought after reading your delightful little tale. yet they say here in Ireland that those who hear the cry are not the one who will die but a member of their family.
Nice one
Will

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

You family should consider it an honor to be followed by the Banshee. And remember, the Banshee does.. read more
Dear Marie, This story grabbed me immediately--spare dialogue packed with many levels of meaning. The conflict was set up right away. I know nothing of banshees, so I was not only entertained I was informed. I also marvel how much you weave into such a small space. Having said that, I would have liked to have seen a little more of a lead up to the conclusion, so that the suspense would have increased before the inevitable. Thanks again for yet another very interesting story. Taylor

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked the story. I realize the ending was a little abrupt, but I was working within a l.. read more
Even though this is quite short it's still creepy, as I love stories like this. I'm happy you explained the wailing scream at the end before the man died. Now it all makes sense. You are a very talented writer, and I'm very impressed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Steve. Banshees are really nothing to be afraid of.
Very interesting! I didn't know any of this about banshees, you conveyed her in a very intriguing way.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Excellent work, as always. A malevolent being bestowing special musical talent on a so-so musician--that immediately brings to mind the story of Robert Johnson and his crossroads deal with the devil. As far as I know, Robert didn't get "piped over the side" to the tune of his own, special dirge.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

A banshee is very far from being the devil, and Erin did not want such a deal. Robert Johnson was a.. read more
I liked it. Although I didn't know much about the Banshee it was a good story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Oh, this is marvelous! Only I thought Banshees were invisible! Your description is, of course, exactly what one would expect, so, now we know. I have heard Banshees are only in Ireland and in other parts of the world owls take up their work and predict death with their haunting hoots. The very idea of the sound of death gives a shiver.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

I believe dogs howl and predict death also. The Banshee is also described as an old woman, but I pre.. read more
A banshee that took physical form in the guise of a ghostly red-haired colleen, who bestowed this man with fame & wealth before appearing again for the 'final curtain' performance !

An enjoyable read especially given the time of year...St Patrick's Day !

Posted 9 Years Ago


a wonderful saint Patrick's day story marie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Marie

9 Years Ago

THank you.
 wordman

9 Years Ago

you are welcome

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

928 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015
Tags: o'connor, banshee, musician, march

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Waves Waves

A Poem by MelissaAndres


Lovesick Lovesick

A Story by Philip Muls