ATTITUDE

ATTITUDE

A Story by Marie
"

A story about mermaids...

"

     Debbie sat on a rock, enjoying the peace and quiet. Her long green tail shone in the sun, and so did the long blonde hair, which she was combing with a fragment of coral. The peace was soon shattered when Denise and Tiffany swam up to sit beside her. Each greeted her with an unhappy sigh. They were the least happy creatures Debbie had ever known.

 

     Denise wore her black hair in a loose bun. Tiffany’s hair was very short and curly"almost frizzy. “I hate my hair this way,” Denise remarked.

 

     “Why don’t you wear it down?” Debbie suggested.

    

     “That’s worse. It’s all stringy then, and gets in my eyes.”

 

     “It’s better than looking like a brillo pad,” Tiffany muttered.

 

     Denise flopped around trying to get comfortable. “The sun’s too hot,” she complained.

 

     Debbie pointed out that she could have stayed in the ocean.

 

     “It’s boring there. Life is boring.”

 

     “All right; let’s do something that isn’t boring, not just sit around playing shell games.”

 

     “Like what?”

 

     “There’s a party at Seagrove tonight.”

 

     Denise wrinkled her nose. “That dumpy little place with the tacky coloured lanterns?”

 

     “Who’s going?” Tiffany asked. “The same boring crowd?”

 

     “The lobsters.”

 

     “Ugh! I can’t stand them. The way they go around with their eyes sticking out, always looking at everybody.”

 

     “How about the clams?”

 

     “They’re hopeless. They never say a word to anybody.”

 

     “The whole oyster bed is coming.”

 

     “Even worse"a bunch of gossipy gigglers.”

 

     “Jellyfish.”

 

     Oh, they’re so shallow---you can see right through them.”

 

     “Lawrence Whelk and his orchestra are playing.”

 

     “The old bubble kingfish? That’s no selling point.”

 

     Then Debbie smiled and dropped the bombshell she’d been saving. “Brock will be there.”

 

     The apathetic faces she’d seen only minutes ago came to life. “Brock?” Brock!?” “Really?” How do you know?”

 

     “Hmm.” Debbie began using the piece of coral to file her nails. “A little bird told me.” Actually, it had been a pelican named Bill, who was Brock’s valet. Denise and Tiffany looked at each other and sighed. The name “Brock” conjured up wavy brown hair, ocean gray eyes, a muscular torso, a magnificent tail that just wouldn’t quit…

 

     The two mermaids dived into the water. Denise said “I’m going to get my hair done,” and Tiffany said “I’m going to get a wig.”

 

     Then they were gone, and Sean, Debbie’s boyfriend, was sitting on the rock instead. “You want to go to a party at Seagrove tonight?” she asked him.

 

     “Sure! Isn’t that the nice little place with all those coloured lanterns floating around?”

 

     Debbie nodded. “The lobsters will be there.”

 

     “Those guys crack me up, the way they go all over the place with their eyes sticking out.”

 

     “The clams.”

 

     “They’re really deep, those clams. Never speak unless they have something to say. In fact, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard any of them talk…”

 

     “The oyster bed.”

 

     “Great. I like those cute little chatterboxes.”

 

     “And jellyfish.”

 

     “You always know where you are with the jellyfish. They’ve got nothing to hide.”

 

     “Lawrence Whelk and his orchestra are playing.”

 

     “Great! Dancing!” Sean flipped into the air, did a twist, and came down. “Who else?”

 

     “Well, Brock’s going to be there.”

 

     Sean frowned. “Who’s that? I don’t know anything about him.”

 

    “I don’t know much myself. But you’ll like him--because you like everyone.” Debbie leaned forward and kissed Sean on the nose. “And that’s one of the eighteen thousand reasons I like you.”

© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A fun piece with a serious message -- attitude is everything and you very clearly demonstrate that. I like the use of the mermaids and the various inhabitants of the sea. Lots of tongue in cheek with enough barbs to make us all exam how we fit into one category or another. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you saw what the story was about and enjoyed the humour. It was written for a friend of min.. read more
There was a lot to admire in this creative little story! I liked the message it conveys too, the right attitude can make life so much more enjoyable and meaningful. I liked Sean!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I think everybody likes Sean.
The jellyfish were my favourite characters, ' they have nothing to hide ' !

An enchanting seafaring marine tale, splendid indeed Marie!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thanks. I kind of liked the clams. They never speak unless they have something to say.
Tom

8 Years Ago

Unlike a lot of humans me thinks lol !!!
A sweet slice of aquatic life. Hmmm, so human-like! Now I want to watch some SpongeBob and eat fish sticks. Excellent work, Marie.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thank you. Mermaids love SpongeBob, but consider fish sticks human food. They like their fish raw...
a great one, Marie. I love the little bits you threw in about the sea inhabitants and the opposing points of view. a perfect little tail :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thanks. I actually wrote this for a woman named Debbie Herbert, because she did me a favor. She is v.. read more
A tale without a sting in the tail, more a gentle nudge in the right direction as only you can Marie.
I really liked the characterizations in this one - and as much as Debbies selling was sweeter (with good reason) I must say I liked the sardonic wit of Denise. "Clams ...never say a word to nobody" - excellent wit my friend.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

344 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2015
Last Updated on May 15, 2015
Tags: tail, water, crabs, clams

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..