SHIPS AND SEAS

SHIPS AND SEAS

A Story by Marie
"

Story of a a boy and his chalk...

"

     Jamal was very happy when he got a box of sidewalk chalk for his birthday.  “But where will I use them?” he asked. “I don’t want to draw pictures on the pavement where everyone can step on them.”

 

     “Try the back porch,” his mother advised. “They’ll be safer there. So Jamal did. He drew a big ship in full sail. It had a laughing dolphin for a figurehead, and waves curled under it. When his parents came out on the porch, they were careful to step around it. Jamal’s baby sister didn’t walk yet, but when she did he’d train her to step around his drawing too.

 

 

     “Are you sure it’s going to last that long?” his father asked.

 

 

     “I’m sure,” Jamal said. “I’m going to keep it forever.”

 

     “Well, the weatherman predicts rain for tomorrow, and that porch isn’t covered.”

 

     “I’ll protect my drawing,” Jamal said. And he tried.

 

     When the rain started Jamal went out with an umbrella and held it over his picture. But the rain got harder and harder and the wind blew in harsh gusts. Jamal’s umbrella was turned inside out. Heavy drops pelted the porch. “No!” Jamal cried. “Noooo…”

 

     The waves began to move and she ship moved with them. Tall and proud, it floated off the porch. A sailor sat on top of the rigging. He saluted, and Jamal saluted back. Then the ship was gone.

 

     Jamal took his inside out umbrella and went back inside. “I’m sorry  your ship got ruined,” Mother said.

 

     “That’s all right. It went where ships are supposed to go. Besides I’m going to start making my drawings out front, where everyone can see them.”

 

     Jamal was already thinking about a tree that would grow, a bird that would fly, a sidewalk blooming with magical flowers of coloured chalk.


© 2015 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'd like to see you expand on this and make it something unrestricted.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

I just don't have the tiime for that now. Thanks.
Such a cute little story! :) Includes a great lesson if you look closely. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your review.
I liked this read because it had a soft flow and was easy to relate to as a mother. It was not too long nor too short for the subject matter and left me with a smile wondering what Jamal would draw next.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

This was actually written for a children's magazine and I had a word limit of 500.
well marie he was talented,and pretty smart,with a vivid imagination
no wait,it was your imigination

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie: I read this awhile back and just now again. I enjoyed it very much. Thought it showed so much creativity. Brought back memories of playing Hopscotch as a child; drawing silly things; my children never showed much interest. The content was wonderful; you're a very good writer. I loved the character of Jamal. The details provided a fantastic visual; kids are so much fun. Clever. I thank you. Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

THanks. I'm glad you liked it.
Confuser

8 Years Ago

You're welcome!
I like it. A nice piece showing the magical combination of children and imagination.

Posted 8 Years Ago


What a powerful, beautiful story of inspiration and creativity flowing through the heart and mind of a child. May we all find ourselves free to share our hearts so tenderly as Jamal.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

THanks. I hope Jamal draws many pictures on many sidewalks...
been awhile, Marie but I think I'm back. missed your writes.
this is a great one. I'm always amazed at the shortness of your stories and yet nothing needs to be added.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Marie

8 Years Ago

I've missed you too; I check every day to see if you've written anything else.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2015
Last Updated on July 10, 2015
Tags: ship, drawing, sea, sidewalk

Author

Marie
Marie

San Antonio, TX



About
I have been writing for almost 60 years. Writers' Cafe is the best writing site I've found. If you send me read requests, expect me to be blunt. I don't like poor grammar, misspelled words or mistake.. more..

Writing
THE HANGING THE HANGING

A Story by Marie


TO G.H. TO G.H.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


SKY ROARING SKY ROARING

A Poem by Latifa